Zhongguo Zhen Gongfu (CFC). Pro-Sanda revival

heavenly kaghan

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
This professional organization seem to be competing with Wu Lingfeng in China right now.

Pro Sanda began with the "King of Sanda" which ran from 2000-2004

Then we had a bunch of other pro Sanda events like "King of Boji" in 2006 or "King of Kungfu" from 2008 onwards.

This one is literally called "Chinese Real Kungfu" and uses full Sanda rules; platform instead of ring, no knees and elbows, and throws score up to two although falling at the same time doesn't score. This event was made recently by the Chinese Martial Association and the aim seem to be longer term and to stay.

Some examples:

Zhang Kaiyin vs Zhang Kun
http://www.letv.com/ptv/vplay/2163510.html

Xu Jiaheng vs Zhou Yue

http://www.iqiyi.com/v_19rrnf2gms.html

No disrespect to the athletes or the art, but I really can't enjoy watching Sanda.

I'd much rather see K-1 rules become more popular in China and I'd like to see more Chinese fighters on the international stage.

It's strange to me that you see Chinese fighters do so well against top level competition in K-1 rules at the shows they do in China but then we don't get to see that talent on international shows.

The whole Sanda thing has always come off as political to me. The Chinese just want to have their own thing I guess. The Chinese perception of sports is that you compete for the honor of the party/motherland. What better way to just invent your own martial art that only you really compete in to maintain face and stay number one.

Last edited:
The whole Sanda thing has always come off as political to me. The Chinese just want to have their own thing I guess. The Chinese perception of sports is that you compete for the honor of the party/motherland. What better way to just invent your own martial art that only you really compete in to maintain face and stay number one.

Just like the japanese with k1 and thai with muay thai?

Just like the japanese with k1 and thai with muay thai?

Muay Thai is a traditional martial art with a long history, so no.

K-1 was, to some extend designed for athletes coming over from Karate and other striking arts to be able to compete with Kickboxers and Muay Thai athletes. In that sense you could say, yes, it was designed to make it easier for Japanese as they had more athletes in their own traditional striking arts, at least at that time. However, K-1 was never controlled or regulated by a political party in Japan.

The rules of K-1 were also designed to make for more entertaining fights.

Last edited:
I for one, think Sanda is awesome. It is just hard to follow because I always have to try and decipher the gibberish that google translate gives me when I use it on Chinese sites. If Sanda had an English language site with info on all the big fighters and their records I would watch every event.

Muay Thai is a traditional martial art with a long history, so no.

K-1 was, to some extend designed for athletes coming over from Karate and other striking arts to be able to compete with Kickboxers and Muay Thai athletes. In that sense you could say, yes, it was designed to make it easier for Japanese as they had more athletes in their own traditional striking arts, at least at that time. However, K-1 was never controlled or regulated by a political party in Japan.

The rules of K-1 were also designed to make for more entertaining fights.

Pro-Sanda is indeed hard to generate mass interest as the promotion is about "sanda" and not about many martial arts like K 1. It's also not as rooted in the culture as MT. However, I really promote adopting the unified MT-Sanda rules for a professional organization (I would also add 3 points for high level throws to draw both wrestling based fighters in and for visual affects). It can also draw fighters from other disciplines like MT and even standup based MMA fighters to compete. This way, we have a pure standup organization that is far more complete in the weapons you can use in standup than K 1 but could also incorporate different styles at a relatively competitive atmosphere.

It's strange to me that you see Chinese fighters do so well against top level competition in K-1 rules at the shows they do in China but then we don't get to see that talent on international shows.

The same can be said about Muay Thai, how many top Thai fighters who has the skills compete on international shows like K 1? Other than Buakaw and a few others to a lesser extent, not many. Pure Sanda rules needs some adjusting just like MT rules (arguably more), the throws changes a lot of the game than a pure striking art. However, throws exhaust a fighter more and hence many Sanda fighters gets exhausted by the third round. However, this can also be a strategy for striking based fighters to beat wrestling based ones. Unlike MMA, the fight resets after a takedown, so even if the opponent outscores you, you could hope for knockouts or beat down towards the end.

I like sanda,but i support more Wu Lin Feng and Kunlun(KB promotions)

They are doing a pretty good work,but i can watch sanda too

Watched one round of the first fight. Couldnt really watch it anymore. The clinching without elbows or knees killed it for me

However, I really promote adopting the unified MT-Sanda rules for a professional organization (I would also add 3 points for high level throws to draw both wrestling based fighters in and for visual affects). It can also draw fighters from other disciplines like MT and even standup based MMA fighters to compete. This way, we have a pure standup organization that is far more complete in the weapons you can use in standup than K 1 but could also incorporate different styles at a relatively competitive atmosphere.

This already exist in Japan its called Shootboxing.

If I understand the situation correctly: Sanda has neither elbows nor knees, Shootboxing has knees but not elbows, and Unified Sanda-MT rules has both elbows and knees.

How long is the clinch time in shoot boxing and are repeated knees allowed?

I know in Shootboxing that takedowns don't score unless they do damage, whereas in unified rules, all takedowns score 1 point as long as one fighter remains standing and doesn't end up going to the ground with the other. This really reduces the level of wrestling in Shootboxing. In amateur Sanshou high altitude and high difficulty throws score 3 points, more than both punches and kicks, and all takedowns score. If the executor of that takedown remains on his feet he scores 2 whereas if he goes to the ground on top, he scores 1. Unified and Pro Sanda rule took out the later from scoring any points, and in Unified rule, it reduced throws from 2 points to 1.

If I understand the situation correctly: Sanda has neither elbows nor knees, Shootboxing has knees but not elbows, and Unified Sanda-MT rules has both elbows and knees.

Some pro-Sanda tournaments allow knees. The King of Sanda does. In fact, I think the King of Sanda is a much better promotion than CFC. The fights were faster paced and the fighters had lots of wrestling skills.

For example, here is a video of Liu Hailong vs Bao Ligao over ten years ago:

http://v.ku6.com/show/D91mHDnJGSHuD_-5.html

Some pro-Sanda tournaments allow knees. The King of Sanda does. In fact, I think the King of Sanda is a much better promotion than CFC. The fights were faster paced and the fighters had lots of wrestling skills.

For example, here is a video of Liu Hailong vs Bao Ligao over ten years ago:

http://v.ku6.com/show/D91mHDnJGSHuD_-5.html

Are knees allowed in the world championships or the world sanda cup?

I can't watch anything that's not MMA. Seriously. It's a lot more realistic.

Sanda/San Shou is stupid, to be honest. I mean if takedown is involved, there better be ground grappling in it. Otherwise, it's fricking retarded.

Sanda/San Shou is stupid, to be honest. I mean if takedown is involved, there better be ground grappling in it. Otherwise, it's fricking retarded.

Whats not realistic is expecting a fight to be 1 on 1. Ground grappling will get you kicked in the face if there are more than 2 people involved. Also, dont you want to know who the best pure striker/wrestler/grappler is? MMA cant tell you that.

Based on those descriptions of the rules I have absolutely no interest in Sanda...

Are we talking about street fighting now? Let's be more realistic here. In street fighting, you want to be standing and not be on the ground. Multiple opponents and concealed weapons aside (I don't even mean knife, any hard pointy objects like a key or a pen could do damage). Soccer kicks and stomps with shoes on do tremendous damage. High altitude slams on concrete ends the fight without the need to go to the ground. Why do you think there are ippon in Judo? Also, believe it or not biting seriously reduces the efficiency of prolonged grappling and makes the opponent disengage in entanglements. This is why different sport emphasize different things, and people needs to understand that they are ultimately still just sports.

Ya the whole "MMA is more realistic" argument is so retarded. It's a combat SPORT with rules and limitations...

Back