1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Media Zhang Weili vs Joanna Jędrzejczyk: All End of Round Highlights (video)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by giovanni_ss, Apr 16, 2021.

1. giovanni_ss Taeyeon Belt

The consensus greatest WMMA fight of all time. How did you scored it the first time you watched it?

Zhang Weili is set to fight Rose Namajunas for the UFC Strawweight title on UFC 261, April 24th

2. fg1985bg Blue Belt

Very difficult fight to score. Greatest female fight of all time and one of the best fights I’ve seen. I had it scored barely for Joanna but didn’t have an issue with the outcome.

I do wonder if the scores would have been different had Joanna’s forehead not looked the way it did.

MMAcolyte, Ares Black, Boomb and 2 others like this.
  3. sb413197 Red Belt

I thought Weili took it via more damage, effective striking and aggression but it was a great fight

4. Jinx_AA Brown Belt

I actually scored it for joanna ....but incredibly close fight....awesome fight !

5. jitzmonkey Purple Belt

Considering that MMA scoring as of late has been more impacted by damage, or trauma inflicted, etc... I wouldn't be surprised if it went 48-47 JJ.

I remembered the late punch and the headbutt; didn't realize that JJ was kinda dirty at the end of the first two rounds, though. Considering how much Zhang seemed to be effected, I wasn't surprised that the 3rd seemed to be her worst round.

giovanni_ss likes this.
  6. PalmStrike Brown Belt

We all know who won that fight but its cool.

Epic scrap!

giovanni_ss likes this.
  7. fg1985bg Blue Belt

I think people are looking at this fight as a reference to predict the outcome of Rose/Weili. You got to be careful with that MMA math though. As an all around fighter, I think Rose is more skilled then Joanna and possibly even Weili. The difference though, is that Joanna has a nasty side to her. She’s also proven to be mentally stronger and can go through a war as she proved in this fight. She’s just a dog and I love her for that. That remains to be seen with Rose. The last time we saw Rose, she barely escaped Andrade with a victory in a 3 round fight.

8. michaelmichaelmichael90 ShizzleMaDizzle

I don't like JJ bc of how much she whines and feels entitled, I do believe had her forehead not looked like that she would've won. Weili was landing big shots, but it seemed JJ landed far more clean shots. I'm still glad of the outcome. Weili vs Rose is gonna be a badass fight

9. CashMoney1991 Blue Belt

such a great fight easily the goat WMMA fight, I had Weili winning 48-47 in order to beat the champ you have to decisively beat the champ in this Joanna didn't do that, a fight this close always goes to the champ, there should of been an auto rematch idk why the UFC didn't do that

10. michaelmichaelmichael90 ShizzleMaDizzle

I love to see fighters, who are carried to their corners sometimes, find another gear to go another 3 rounds. Weili is a beast

MMAcolyte and jitzmonkey like this.
  11. fg1985bg Blue Belt

Would anyone have had an issue with a draw in this scenario? Would that have hurt Weili’s stock moving forward?

MMAcolyte likes this.
  12. FlowchartRog Brown Belt

Absolutely amazed anyone thinks Joanna won that fight.

Are you sure it wasn't underdog syndrome, giving Joanna more credit than necessary just for making it competitive?

I agree with the sherdog judges, Joanna won 1 round. She showed heart and made it competitive, but took a beating.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  13. sb413197 Red Belt

Yep Rose has a terrific skill set, everything needed to hold the belt for a long time; but she's....unstable. I think if she wasn't crazy it would make her fighting a bit more sensible and she would make less catastrophic errors

jitzmonkey likes this.
  14. FR17999 White Belt

I had it 2-2 going into the 5th it was so hard to score very close fight

MMAcolyte likes this.
  15. PalmStrike Brown Belt

I do not think Rose is more skilled than Joanna.

I do not think any female fighter is more skilled than Joanna.

There are, however, many female fighters with more power than Joanna.

16. fg1985bg Blue Belt

The underdog mentality might have played a factor in it.....Not denying for some observers.

Joanna did take a beating but so did Weili. What stood out was the forehead though because Weili also looked like she had been through hell. I’ve watched this fight multiple times and as hard as it is to score...every time I come to conclusion that Joanna edged it outs ever so slightly. That seems to be the common consensus as well.

Your not off base with your opinion though cause honestly depending how who the viewer likes can shift the decision because the fight was just so close and tight.

17. fg1985bg Blue Belt

Rose is definitely a more complete fighter then Joanna. There are intangibles that Joanna possesses and she may also have the edge in standing but as a complete fighter....I don’t see how anyone could say Rose isn’t more skilled.

18. Emjay I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!!! DON'T KILL HIM!!!

You literally warned people not to MMAth at the beginning of the post and then MMAth'd at the end of the post yourself

19. fg1985bg Blue Belt

Not really.

My statement was more indicative of Roses cardio and the fact that she gassed...not necessarily about her opponent.

20. SherdogWasNeverMyFriend I eat my shit whole

[​IMG]

Very close fight. I scored it 3-2 for Joanna. My gut is telling me that Weili will beat Rose single-handedly.
    We will have a good scrap in the future no matter of the outcome. Weili vs Joanna II or Rose vs Joanna III would both be very exciting.