News Zhang Weili thinks Shevchenko feels threatened by her

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Zhang Weili thinks Valentina Shevchenko ‘definitely feels I pose a threat’

53c94314-b524-49fb-b95c-301d446f6494_3ec7fe13.jpg

UFC strawweight champion Zhang ‘Magnum” Weili has revealed a lingering desire for a super fight with flyweight queen Valentina Shevchenko, even as she prepares for a title defence against top-ranked American Rose Namajunas on April 24.

“After I won my championship [in 2019], initially I quite wanted to fight with ‘Bullet’ [Shevchenko],” explained Zhang. “I told Dana [White] but he said it’s not the time yet. That’s why, since he said this, I haven’t talked about ‘I want to fight with her’ any more.”

Up until now.

Zhang (21-1) revealed she had long pondered the possibilities of matching her skills against a fighter in Shevchenko (20-3) who also cut her teeth on the rough and tumble world of the domestic Chinese kick-boxing circuit before a successful transition to mixed martial arts.

Speaking on a conference call with Chinese media, including SCMP MMA, Zhang said she had also been alerted to comments made by Shevchenko that have followed the Chinese fighter’s rise to the strawweight title, and beyond.

“She might feel that I am a threat to her,” is how Zhang described the situation.

“After I fought with Joanna, she didn’t think highly of me,” said Zhang. “When I fought with Andrade, she also didn’t think highly of me. When I fought with Joanna, she said I couldn’t fight well. After I won, she said I hadn’t won.

“When the fight between Rose and me was announced, she said Rose could defeat me. She didn’t support me all the time [but] it doesn’t really matter. She definitely feels I can pose a threat to her.”

Shevchenko has already weighed in with a prediction that Namajunas will win on April 24,
as has former world heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, but Zhang was quick to brush them both aside.

“I noticed this because many people on [social media] platforms told me both Tyson and Valentina said I wouldn’t be able to beat Rose, or even said she would destroy me,” said Zhang.

“I feel that they don’t understand me. I don’t really mind. When they don’t understand me, it doesn’t really matter. I just want to prove it my ability during the fight and with the result.”

https://www.scmp.com/sport/martial-.../3129086/ufc-261-zhang-weili-thinks-valentina

Saltchenko strikes again! That being said, they should absolutely face each other if they both win their next fight. Neither will have a clear contender waiting for them in their division, so it would be the best time to do it while 115 and 125 sort-out their next challenger.

I'm finding pretty easy to simpathize with her and root for her in her upcoming fight.

Rose and her fans hating her just because they don't like the government of the country she was born in.

Valentina and her fans hating her because she seem to be a bigger challenge for her than the other 115 contenders.

I hope she wins and shuts everyone up!

Shevchenko probably gets the feeling of being threatened pretty easily. Only reason she's champion is cause the UFC opened 125. She couldn't beat Amanda and cutting to 115 is most likely too hard on her. She can KO the likes of Jessica Eye and Chookagin but everyone knows Weili's competition is FAR greater than Valentina's.

I have a feeling that Andrade is going to be surprisingly competitive with Shev, which will make Weili vs Shev more intriguing.

Shevchenko probably gets the feeling of being threatened pretty easily. Only reason she's champion is cause the UFC opened 125. She couldn't beat Amanda and cutting to 115 is most likely too hard on her. She can KO the likes of Jessica Eye and Chookagin but everyone knows Weili's competition is FAR greater than Valentina's.
To be fair that division was needed. You can't have a 20 pound jump between divisions on fighters that small. Even men at 145 and 155 have only a 10 pound difference.

Valentina's "problem" is that she is too good and makes everyone there looks bad, like Anderson 15 years ago, she would even be a heavy favorite against Zhang based on both their fights with Joanna. And Amanda is noticeably bigger than her, so it's obvious they do not belong in the same division (even though she arguably beat Amanda)

Zhang knows Shev is just salty towards chinese fighters because Shev lost a kickboxing match to Wang Cong in 2015.

In some way she feels threatened. Valentina would beat Weili at 125 lbs. But she’s definitely bitter that some chinese girl with no english is the current sensation. Well, her fights are boring as shit while Weili is entertaining as fuck. Nobody but Valentina herself is responsible for that.

She called out the dominant champ at a higher weight class without even a title defense. Of course shes gonna shit on you for the disrespect. Valentina would pull a homicide on that girl

Back