ZERO Rotational Strength

MMAPARADOX

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
ive been boxing for a few months and still have the same issue.

i have zero rotational strength. i cant generate any real power on any punches besides the jab.

i thought if i just kept going it would work itself out.

it feels like it may be a structural issue. but i dont have pain. it feels like my body is not operating properly.

i feel awkward when shadow boxing (all punches besides jab)

the bag feels better if im close enough. but the end of my straight rights feel awkward.

idk what the issue is. ive done other martial arts when younger so i know when the punches dont 'feel' right.

idk how to fix it

A few months is nothing. It takes years and years to become proficient at something like boxing, and that is if you have good coaching.

Record a video (shadowboxing, bagwork, padwork, whichever) and post if you want feedback. It's impossible for us to say anything without that.

More importantly, ask your coach.

Reporter: "Joe, what's the secret to your punching power?"

Joe Louis: "There's no secret, you just touch one knee to the other."

You have to gain use of the hips via cues like twisting the foot, or as sinister said turning the knee in, it takes a LOOOOONG time. There are poor pathways between the brain and the hips which is why it requires INSANE amounts of reps for you to gain control of your hips.

Especially if you do not do manual type work, or if you are not black

Try doing kettlebell swings.
You have to gain use of the hips via cues like twisting the foot, or as sinister said turning the knee in, it takes a LOOOOONG time. There are poor pathways between the brain and the hips which is why it requires INSANE amounts of reps for you to gain control of your hips.

Reporter: "Joe, what's the secret to your punching power?"

Joe Louis: "There's no secret, you just touch one knee to the other."
A few months is nothing. It takes years and years to become proficient at something like boxing, and that is if you have good coaching.

Record a video (shadowboxing, bagwork, padwork, whichever) and post if you want feedback. It's impossible for us to say anything without that.

More importantly, ask your coach.

i forgot some details.

i started boxing after a long time (year or so) of being inactive.

for awhie when i started i had slight lower back pain on one side. i went to physical therapy and got rid of the pain.

i thought this would get rid of that awkward feeling but it didnt.

i did some martial arts/mma when younger and the one thing i was pretty confident in is a clean 1-2 .

if you were to look at my straight right just the technique it looks fine.

the problem is something is just not there. if i throw a 1-2 the jab feels like it has more power than the right

Last edited:
i forgot some details.

for awhie when i started i had slight lower back pain on one side. i went to physical therapy and got rid of the pain.

i did some martial arts/mma when younger and the one thing i was pretty confident in is a clean 1-2 .

the problem is something is just not there. if i throw a 1-2 the jab feels like it has more power than the right

nothing there = no hip use, theres always power if you can use the hip, even if the rest of your techniques is sloppy, work on the right side ques, or swing the kettle bell using the right side over and over till you get control of te right side of your hip

the jab is feeble compared to the right

maybe you didnt use the hip on your right side for a long time because of back pain/injury and thats why you lost some control on that side, you can loose control of msucles as well as gain better control depending on how much you use them

Last edited:
You should post a vid, hard to diagnose technical issues described via text.

I find a lot of people don't naturally rotate on their punches properly, and don't deliver them down the kinetic chain in the best way.

A big issue is often a lack of integration of the whole body, or being too fastidious with the technique, to the point that they lose their natural power generating inclinations.

To be brief, focus on should rotation, not just delivering the throwing side shoulder forward, but just as much should be put on pulling the other back. Same goes with hips.

Practise slowly, speed up later. With proper technique and weight transfer you won't need to throw fast to hit hard.

I'm with everyone that posting a video is your best bet.

Other than that you got good technical advice. I'd like to echo that if you focus on the weight shift and shoulder rotation you can throw the punch slowly and still feel where the power is. Even throwing at half speed if someone catches that punch they should be able to feel your whole weight behind it.

i forgot some details.

I agree with everyone that a video is needed. But if you're confident in your technique but you're not getting any power from the rear hand then it's possible that those muscles are weak.

What @Sinister said is great way to visualize what should be happening and if it's not happening then it's a decent place to start asking yourself why?

ive been boxing for a few months and still have the same issue.

i have zero rotational strength. i cant generate any real power on any punches besides the jab.

i thought if i just kept going it would work itself out.

it feels like it may be a structural issue. but i dont have pain. it feels like my body is not operating properly.

i feel awkward when shadow boxing (all punches besides jab)

the bag feels better if im close enough. but the end of my straight rights feel awkward.

idk what the issue is. ive done other martial arts when younger so i know when the punches dont 'feel' right.

idk how to fix it

What helped me and some other guys i've taught was overemphasis on the rotational movements, slow movement and alot of isolated punches.
After that's done, you tighten it up, less emphasis on rotating feet, feeding the hips and you'lle learn to throw combinations.

Example:

1 left hook, over and over. Have your padholder check your guard, keep form correct speed and power isn't the focus. Just focus on rotating. When one hard punch is mastered, try it 10x semi fast. This will force your body to adjust and tighten up the rotation mechanics, if you're armpunching youlle tire quick, if your whole body is engaged you'lle be fine.

The trick for smooth continues hooks is a snap, created by your hips moving in and out. You can't keep snapping armpunches. But efficient hips with minimal "in and out" movement will create this snap.

After this you try to incorporate the hook into simple combinations 1-2-3, 1-1-3 2-3-4 etc.

Thats what I did for the basics, it gave me good fundamentals and that's what I taught all the guys i've worked with in the beginning of their boxing journey.

What helped me and some other guys i've taught was overemphasis on the rotational movements, slow movement and alot of isolated punches.
After that's done, you tighten it up, less emphasis on rotating feet, feeding the hips and you'lle learn to throw combinations.

Example:

1 left hook, over and over. Have your padholder check your guard, keep form correct speed and power isn't the focus. Just focus on rotating. When one hard punch is mastered, try it 10x semi fast. This will force your body to adjust and tighten up the rotation mechanics, if you're armpunching youlle tire quick, if your whole body is engaged you'lle be fine.

The trick for smooth continues hooks is a snap, created by your hips moving in and out. You can't keep snapping armpunches. But efficient hips with minimal "in and out" movement will create this snap.

After this you try to incorporate the hook into simple combinations 1-2-3, 1-1-3 2-3-4 etc.

Thats what I did for the basics, it gave me good fundamentals and that's what I taught all the guys i've worked with in the beginning of their boxing journey.

You should post a vid, hard to diagnose technical issues described via text.

I find a lot of people don't naturally rotate on their punches properly, and don't deliver them down the kinetic chain in the best way.

A big issue is often a lack of integration of the whole body, or being too fastidious with the technique, to the point that they lose their natural power generating inclinations.

To be brief, focus on should rotation, not just delivering the throwing side shoulder forward, but just as much should be put on pulling the other back. Same goes with hips.

Practise slowly, speed up later. With proper technique and weight transfer you won't need to throw fast to hit hard.

I'm with everyone that posting a video is your best bet.

Other than that you got good technical advice. I'd like to echo that if you focus on the weight shift and shoulder rotation you can throw the punch slowly and still feel where the power is. Even throwing at half speed if someone catches that punch they should be able to feel your whole weight behind it.
I agree with everyone that a video is needed. But if you're confident in your technique but you're not getting any power from the rear hand then it's possible that those muscles are weak.

What @Sinister said is great way to visualize what should be happening and if it's not happening then it's a decent place to start asking yourself why?

After spending time on this over the last week I'm starting to think that my issue might be a very weak core.

I think maybe I engage my core throughout the day a lot less than typical people In regular activities like walking sitting.

Over the years I think I've found ways to compensate certain movements without using my core. Thing like standing up from the floor I noticed is different when I use my core to do it.

Or throwing a football, I remember throwing a football in the back yard a while back and people thinking it was weird that I threw the ball so high even for close distances. Rather than throwing it straight towards them.

I hoping doing a lot of crunches sit ups planks and Bodyweight squats over the next week will fix the issue.

Right now I basically can't throw hooks at all

Last edited:
To try to explain my issue better.

If I throw a straight right I feel I have more power in the first 1/3rd of the punch than I do at the end of it.

I feel like it's impossible to throw hooks, I get more power from arm punching than rotating.

When I see people throw a left hook followed by a right hook it seems like an impossible thing to me.

When I try hooks and at the end of my straight rights I have this 'naked' feeling. I don't know how to say it better than that.

I feel I might throw my back out if I miss a punch. So if I'm at a distance I wont throw anything but a jab

i forgot some details.

just a couple of pointers i could give. forget about rotating the hip, that is correct, but when you try to think about it and deliberately accentuate the movement it breaks the proper kinetic chain of a good punch. the key is explosive weight transferal or mass x acceleration.bend your knees (this allows proper transfer of weight) make sure all the weight is on the foot you want to punch with (right foot for right hands), push off that foot and punch through the target. if you stand side on and transfer you weight on to the other foot as you punch your hips will naturally rotate sufficiently without having to think about it. it also sounds like you are punching across your body too much with the right. step to your left and slightly forward to line up your right, it will transfer more weight into your target. main point PUNCH OFF THE GROUND AND THROUGH THE TARGET. the hips will take care of themselves. and always stay relaxed, the more tension you have the less body weight you transfer.

Last edited:
To try to explain my issue better.

If I throw a straight right I feel I have more power in the first 1/3rd of the punch than I do at the end of it.

I feel like it's impossible to throw hooks, I get more power from arm punching than rotating.

When I see people throw a left hook followed by a right hook it seems like an impossible thing to me.

When I try hooks and at the end of my straight rights I have this 'naked' feeling. I don't know how to say it better than that.

I feel I might throw my back out if I miss a punch. So if I'm at a distance I wont throw anything but a jab
most of these issues are balance related. a good drill to practice is to get into a balanced stance and transfer all your weight from on foot to the other without punching. after you have done this for a while start throwing right hands and left hooks as you transfer your weight to the opposite foot. push off your foot as you punch (this is what engages the weight of your lower half, it is the rotation of the hip that facilitates the weight transferal). if you are side on and your knees are bent the hips naturally rotate. like i said before alignment is crucial, it sounds like you are jamming your left hooks and reaching with the right, stand or step more to the left when punching the bag, that should help with a lot of the issues.

people just try to hard. it ain't all that difficult. correct alignment of punches is more important than stressing the use of the hips. too many people try to pivot their weight towards a target instead of driving their weight through it.

Last edited:
After spending time on this over the last week I'm starting to think that my issue might be a very weak core.

I think maybe I engage my core throughout the day a lot less than typical people In regular activities like walking sitting.

Over the years I think I've found ways to compensate certain movements without using my core. Thing like standing up from the floor I noticed is different when I use my core to do it.

Or throwing a football, I remember throwing a football in the back yard a while back and people thinking it was weird that I threw the ball so high even for close distances. Rather than throwing it straight towards them.

I hoping doing a lot of crunches sit ups planks and Bodyweight squats over the next week will fix the issue.

Right now I basically can't throw hooks at all
sounds like core strength could be an issue. don't worry proper punching techniques and hitting the bag is one of the best core exercises.

just a couple of pointers i could give. forget about rotating the hip, that is correct, but when you try to think about it and deliberately accentuate the movement it breaks the proper kinetic chain of a good punch. the key is explosive weight transferal or mass x acceleration.bend your knees (this allows proper transfer of weight) make sure all the weight is on the foot you want to punch with (right foot for right hands), push off that foot and punch through the target. if you stand side on and transfer you weight on to the other foot as you punch your hips will naturally rotate sufficiently without having to think about it. it also sounds like you are punching across your body too much with the right. step to your left and slightly forward to line up your right, it will transfer more weight into your target. main point PUNCH OFF THE GROUND AND THROUGH THE TARGET. the hips will take care of themselves. and always stay relaxed, the more tension you have the less body weight you transfer.

I tried this out right now (putting weight on punching foot and not punching across body) and after playing around with it for a little bit I got that familiar muscle memory of how I've always thrown a 1-2 when it felt 'right' in the past

My question now is why did I stop doing it that way to begin with. I know for the right hand, I was hitting pads one day and my coach told me to aim the right hand a little above my nose. And this is what I've put into my muscle memory the last few months. Maybe my stance has been to square and this is what caused the confusion

Back