Zercher Shoot and Rack with Chain Yoke

Brad Morris

Green Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Guys here is a video of my Zercher Shoot and Rack with the Chain Yoke. After taking onboard some of the constructive criticism for my original Zercher Shoot and Rack and trying out a few ideas I have come up with this exercise "Zercher Shoot and Rack with the Chain Yoke".

The safety bars are set lower than the original Zercher shoot, I can't set the safety bars any lower as my leading knee can't get under the bar if I do. I am shooting from further out and for the purpose of this drill I am content with the shoot. The dynamic nature of the swinging weight does make the lift harder as does the lower starting point. A deeper power rack would be ideal but I am working with what I have got at the moment. In the video I am performing 3 reps with 106kg and 1 rep with 116kg.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mL1BRd7AZ44"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mL1BRd7AZ44" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Odin smiles upon your Zerchering. Damned cool stuff. Be sure to give us updates on takedown improvements in training scenarios as they manifest.

Pretty innovative training. I was wondering about the effect on your take downs. How's the power on those? Has it affected your technique at all? Usually people recommend against mimicking skill movements in the weight room. I'm not trying to present myself as an expert or critic of the zercher shoot, just wondering what the outcomes are.

I'd be stoked to see Brad slam the shit out of someone in the next Bodog fights.

I have noticed an increase in strength during the pick up part of a slam, during training I am lifting my training partners with a little more ease.

My takedown technique has not suffered in my opinion, I am still practicing shoot drills with good quality training partners.

My next step is to do bodyweight (106kg to 110kg) Zercher shoot and rack as fast possible, and also to increase my max lift to around 140kg. Then I plan on adding a second weight to the mix.

At the moment as I lift the chain yoke up the plate weight is immediately lifted of the ground leaving only some of the chain on the ground for a short period until the lift nears the highest point. I am thinking about leaving 106kg on the chain yoke and adding another 10kg a side on to the lowest point of the overhanging chain. Creating a double sticking point so to speak.

The theory behind that is to try to imitate an opponent that is struggling against you. In the first part of the lift the majority of the weight is picked upoff the ground. As the lift is about 2/3 of the way up an additional weight roughly 10kg per side is then lifted off the ground. Well thats the plan anyway!

Do you see any benefit in actually shooting in, as opposed to simply starting off in a split stance and doing a regular Zercher lift (i.e. simply starting off at the position depicted at -0:46)? It appears as if you are not actually following through on the momentum gained on the initial two steps.

It appears as if you are not actually following through on the momentum gained on the initial two steps.

The problem I found with hitting through the bar and using the momentum of the shoot was not being able to get a good Zercher hold on the bar quickly enough Perhaps with more practice I will be able too?

I realise it would be a more sports specific drill if I hit through the bar but it is what it is. As I pointed out previously when comparing this lift to the first Zercher shoot a few weeks ago, I am down lower and shooting from out further. But I doubt I will ever be able to fully recreate an actual shoot on a live training partner. But I am happy enough with this drill to add it into my training.

Maybe wrap some stuff around the bar to make it thicker? E.g.:

450px-Mattress.jpg

That's kinda of what i was thinking Takeah make it a bit more thick to make lifting the bar easier.

Really cool technique I think Brad, especially if it is carrying over. Awsome man!

That shot is rubbish...

Brad may be a pro fighter, but I read 3 books on wrestling authored by Juan Pododora and won state in high school and stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

That shot is rubbish...

Brad may be a pro fighter, but I read 3 books on wrestling authored by Juan Pododora and won state in high school and stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

Wow, I had no idea you had those kind of credentials. Respect due and given.

Looking way better and even more difficult.

For the follow through on the shoot - why not use the pad for thickening and then simply start with the bar on the close side of the safety bars?

You could then hit the bar and push it to the back of the rack, then do the lifting portion.

Not sure if that's any more like real life, but it would certainly allow you to use your forward momentum and make the lift more the senario you outlined in your previous post - where you drive your opponent into the cage, then lift him.

That shot is rubbish...

I watched WWE at a Motel 6 last night.

PS I left the light on for you

I likey this one.

And I'll say it again. When someone asks for constructive criticism... I'll give it.

Even if it fucks with Bort's post-birth PMS.

Hot damn, you may have proven yourself useful. That is one sweet way of simulating a shoot. So going to try that.

Cool stuff.

As a sidenote, that is narrowest power rack I have ever seen.

That's awesome. I may try these at the gym tomorrow, just to give them a shot, although I have no chains there.

Elastic bands tied to the bar and bottom of the rack would offer active resistance. Just a tought, probably not so easy to find suitable ones.

Back