Zelda fan? Want to collect every title in the series? All you need is two systems!

Total Immortal

Blackhawk Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE LoZ fan. It's probably my all time favorite gaming series and recently i've decided to try and make a collection of all the titles. After a little research I noticed that all you need to do this is have a Nintendo 3DS and a Wii U:

The 3DS:

The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Four Swords
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
A Link Between Worlds

Wii U:

A Link to the Past
Wind Waker
Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
the upcoming Zelda for Wii U

Keep in mind some of these are available on both platforms as well. Minish Cap was also available on the 3DS for those who pre ordered it when it was first released. I'm planning on finding a cheap Gamecube so I can play Twilight Princess with a controller since the Wii U controller won't work with the Wii version. Call me old school or stubborn or whatever but I prefer to play video games with a controller and not a remote like the Wii had.

Just figured I'd share this for an Zelda fans on here.

try getting a classic controller for the wii

I don't own a regular Wii. The Wii mote always discouraged me from getting one. The Wii U has the gamepad and a classic controller that works with most games, however not for Wii titles like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

I don't own a regular Wii. The Wii mote always discouraged me from getting one. The Wii U has the gamepad and a classic controller that works with most games, however not for Wii titles like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

all the wii peripherals work on the wii-u

I hate the wii motes as well but the classic controller that plugs into it works great with the virtual console games. I can understand why you'd avoid using them, though.

I'm also a huge zelda fan but I must admit I hasn't played all titles, Honestly I prefer have them in their original system but there a exceptions like the Zelda II, Zelda A link to the best where I get them for the GBA system, I also planing to get the Zelda I for GBA.
The only two Zeldas Im planing to play in emulator(in my case PSP) are the Zelda Oracle of Ages and Zelda Links aweking DX since they are quite expansive and I don't trust GB/GBC cartridge anymore xD

A Link to the Past and Minish Cap should both be available on eshop for 3ds. It's really stupid you can't get Minish Cap anymore.

I get that it was incentive for preordering the system but they could easily make it available now and make some friggen money off of it.

A Link to the Past and Minish Cap should both be available on eshop for 3ds. It's really stupid you can't get Minish Cap anymore.

I get that it was incentive for preordering the system but they could easily make it available now and make some friggen money off of it.

I agree all the way. Minish Cap is ridiculously underrated.

A Link to the Past and Minish Cap should both be available on eshop for 3ds.

There's apparently something with the internal architecture in the 3DS that makes SNES emulation difficult or impossible. Those in the 3DS ambassador program who got Metroid Fusion have reported that it's not exactly a clean version of the game, and was more experimental than anything. It stinks because there's a massive library, but if they can't do it well, they aren't going to.

I'm all about Link's Awakening. It's a fabulous game and one of the best in the series. It's surprisingly existential and plays on a lot of the tropes quite well.

There's apparently something with the internal architecture in the 3DS that makes SNES emulation difficult or impossible. Those in the 3DS ambassador program who got Metroid Fusion have reported that it's not exactly a clean version of the game, and was more experimental than anything. It stinks because there's a massive library, but if they can't do it well, they aren't going to.

I'm all about Link's Awakening. It's a fabulous game and one of the best in the series. It's surprisingly existential and plays on a lot of the tropes quite well.

That explains the lack of ALttP but no excuse not to make Minish Cap available on the eshop by now. And agreed, Link's Awakening was actually the first LoZ I ever played, and pretty much responsible for getting me into the series. :)

I'm a HUGE LoZ fan. It's probably my all time favorite gaming series and recently i've decided to try and make a collection of all the titles. After a little research I noticed that all you need to do this is have a Nintendo 3DS and a Wii U:

The 3DS:

The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Four Swords
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
A Link Between Worlds

Wii U:

A Link to the Past
Wind Waker
Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword
the upcoming Zelda for Wii U

Keep in mind some of these are available on both platforms as well. Minish Cap was also available on the 3DS for those who pre ordered it when it was first released. I'm planning on finding a cheap Gamecube so I can play Twilight Princess with a controller since the Wii U controller won't work with the Wii version. Call me old school or stubborn or whatever but I prefer to play video games with a controller and not a remote like the Wii had.

Just figured I'd share this for an Zelda fans on here.

I love watching the kids today trying to play old Zelda games. Claiming they are impossible even with guides everywhere rofl.

Today's games are such hand holding, simplistic pieces of shit with nicer graphics.

I love watching the kids today trying to play old Zelda games. Claiming they are impossible even with guides everywhere rofl.

Today's games are such hand holding, simplistic pieces of shit with nicer graphics.

Not all games, but a good percentage of those made now are far easier than old school games from 15+ years back.

Right now i'm replaying the original LoZ on my 3DS and i'm having a lot more trouble with it now than I did as a boy. I think I already died close to 20 times and i'm only at level 3 lol.

Not all games, but a good percentage of those made now are far easier than old school games from 15+ years back.

Right now i'm replaying the original LoZ on my 3DS and i'm having a lot more trouble with it now than I did as a boy. I think I already died close to 20 times and i'm only at level 3 lol.

I dunno man. I heard the hype behind games like "Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2", Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil may cry 3 etc etc on the hardest difficulties and felt they were not hard. Still have yet to play a game today that I find difficult like in the old days.

As far as Zelda games go, there have been ZERO difficult installments since 1 and 2.
1 was a game that took YEARS to beat. Yeah, today I can beat quest 1 and 2 in hours because of my memory, but in the 80's/early 90's before guides were readily available, you spent YEARS exploring, blowing the whistle on every screen, burning every bush and bombing every wall and going by word of mouth at school. I kind of miss those days.

But how in God's name have you died 20 times? Before Dungeon 6? If it were Dungeon 6, I would understand. That dungeon is assrape if you are not properly upgraded and a lot of people skip it until they are...Wizzrobes.....UGH.

Zelda 2 is in many ways easier(Exploration), yet harder(Link's sword the size of a prison shank and he moves like he is madly constipated)

Both are certainly the pinnacle of Zelda difficulty.

After that, every game was maddeningly easy. When I see kids today complain about Ocarina, MM or LTTP being hard, I have to lol because they are so easy, and the titles that followed were even easier.

I dunno man. I heard the hype behind games like "Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2", Ninja Gaiden Black, Devil may cry 3 etc etc on the hardest difficulties and felt they were not hard. Still have yet to play a game today that I find difficult like in the old days.

As far as Zelda games go, there have been ZERO difficult installments since 1 and 2.
1 was a game that took YEARS to beat. Yeah, today I can beat quest 1 and 2 in hours because of my memory, but in the 80's/early 90's before guides were readily available, you spent YEARS exploring, blowing the whistle on every screen, burning every bush and bombing every wall and going by word of mouth at school. I kind of miss those days.

But how in God's name have you died 20 times? Before Dungeon 6? If it were Dungeon 6, I would understand. That dungeon is assrape if you are not properly upgraded and a lot of people skip it until they are...Wizzrobes.....UGH.

Zelda 2 is in many ways easier(Exploration), yet harder(Link's sword the size of a prison shank and he moves like he is madly constipated)

Both are certainly the pinnacle of Zelda difficulty.

After that, every game was maddeningly easy. When I see kids today complain about Ocarina, MM or LTTP being hard, I have to lol because they are so easy, and the titles that followed were even easier.

Lol I died so much by playing far too recklessly. I only played the original LoZ for a little while when I was about 7 (i'm 25 now) so not much of it stuck with me. I'm going on a Zelda binge which is why I made this thread in the first place. I'm also trying not to use any guides to make it even more challenging.

As far as newer Zelda games go, they aren't insanely easy but nothing compared to the older ones. That just applies to video games in general these days though. At least a Link Between Worlds introduced a hard mode after you beat the game. I believe that enemies do a lot more damage and nothing drops hearts. Been a while since I played it. I'm really looking forward to the new Zelda for Wii U, they're going to make it completely open world.

Lol I died so much by playing far too recklessly. I only played the original LoZ for a little while when I was about 7 (i'm 25 now) so not much of it stuck with me. I'm going on a Zelda binge which is why I made this thread in the first place. I'm also trying not to use any guides to make it even more challenging.

As far as newer Zelda games go, they aren't insanely easy but nothing compared to the older ones. That just applies to video games in general these days though. At least a Link Between Worlds introduced a hard mode after you beat the game. I believe that enemies do a lot more damage and nothing drops hearts. Been a while since I played it. I'm really looking forward to the new Zelda for Wii U, they're going to make it completely open world.

Gotcha lol.
A no guide run of the original Zelda is going to cost you years :)
I suspect "Trying not to" will resort to guides unless you want to experience the years of exploring every nook and cranny :p

Dungeon 5 is where it up's the difficult, but dungeon 6 is harder than any dungeon except 9. In the first quest anyways. Blue Wizzrobes are going to make you curse :p

The second quest is a whole different ball of wax. The difficulty is upped from the get go and with completely new dungeons, creature abilities and hidden tricks.

Oh and the designed were really letting their inner malice show in the second quest.
For example: hope you like bombing every wall in the game. Even the ones you cannot reach....
121231-zelda07.gif

I am looking forward to it as well.

I really REALLY hope they act on suggestions of disgruntled gamers and up the difficulty.

A lot of people are asking them to add optional hard as balls dungeons for special weapons. That way you satisfy both the pantywaist easy game crowd who just want an easy hand holding game, and the powergamer crowd who want a challenge.

Imagine if they threw in an optional 6 Palaces, followed by a "Great Palace", the undisputed hardest Dungeon in Zelda History.

Rose tinted glasses. You're likely just a better gamer now than you were as a kid. All the games you listed are significantly harder than LoZ, or any less difficult than most "notoriously difficult" games like DD3, TMNT, Simpsons, etc. Unless you're comparing everything to nigh-unplayable games like co-op Battletoads, games in general aren't that much easier nowadays, just more accesible.

Uh notoriously difficult? TMNT is an easy game bud. So is Double Dragon 3. Ill never understand how people find DD3 hard. Because you start with 1 life it discouraged so many people. Once you get a feel for that game, it is easy as heck. Once you get Chin, even easier. His punches can solo anyone and the game has only 4 levels.

Never played Simpsons so I don't know. But those games you labelled as notorious are only called hard by less able gamers and "popular" top 10 lists because those guys have not played anything but the mainstream games. They are easy. If you want to pick notorious difficult NES games, pick Battletoads, Silver Surfer, Contra without the konami code, Blaster Master, and the like.

I still find those challenging on replay. Dark Souls and the like, Ninja Gaiden Black, etc were a piece of cake.

None of the modern games I mentioned were difficult. On replay, I still have a harder time running through certain dungeons of LoZ on quest 2 than I do on any of those games. Or the Great Palace in Adventures of link for that matter, which is pretty universally regarded as the hardest Zelda dungeon/Temple/Palace ever.

And yes, LoZ with no guides or someone telling you exactly where to go took years to beat and find everything.

Last edited:
Back