Zab Judah could headline HBO card against Lucas Matthysse

11b83

Purple Belt
Reaction score
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

Zab Judah has not fought on HBO in more than two years, but that could change if plans in the works are finalized.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and HBO are working on a Nov. 6 "Boxing After Dark" card, which could take place at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., where Schaefer would co-promote with Main Events, Judah's promoter.

The proposed main event: Golden Boy junior welterweight knockout artist Lucas Matthysse (27-0, 25 KOs) of Argentina against New York's Judah (39-6, 27 KOs), the former undisputed welterweight champ and two-time junior welterweight titlist.

Judah, whose last HBO fight was a ninth-round technical decision loss to Joshua Clottey for a vacant welterweight belt in August 2008, returned to 140 pounds in July and stopped Jose Armando Santa Cruz in the third round at the Prudential Center on ESPN2.

HBO has been featuring top junior welterweight Devon Alexander, Timothy Bradley, Amir Khan, Marcos Maidana and Victor Ortiz. It views the winner of the potential Judah-Matthysse fight fitting into the picture for a major bout with any of those fighters.

"HBO likes the match," Schaefer said. "So we are trying to work it out."

I hope it happens! Judah looked good in his last fight. Hope he can work his way back to the top.

zabs gonna clean out the 140 division mark my words. i cant beleive no ones talking about how the deepest division in boxing got even crazier with the re arrival of zab judah

im hopeing zab judah cleans out the 140lb division id like to see him win another world title

Judah beat a decent 140 fight in Santa Cruz pretty decisively, but lets not suffocate him for the win just quite yet. We should see how he'll handle adversity against an actual top 10-15 guy before crowning him the forever emperor of the Jr. Welterweights.

Back