1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Z Guard?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by winman, Oct 27, 2010.

1. winman

winman White Belt

My brother went to Alliance in Atlanta and he said most guys play an active open guard game and like to do the z guard

I am not that familar with that

he said when he stood up guys would do the omaplata sweep and thet guard itself is very tight

question on the guard

where are both your feet situated? Is one foot on the hip and the other on top of your other foot? the left leg is high up and near the shoulder but what about the right leg. where should the right leg be.

2. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

3. Jiu Jitsuka

Jiu Jitsuka A Flight And A Crash

What's a Z guard?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

If your right side is on the mat then your right leg should be hooking his right leg kinda like in half guard. Z guard is just a type of open half guard with your shin on his chest.

5. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

I don't use it as a "tight" guard.
    My main goal with it is to eliminate pressure and create some space in bottom half.
    I could be going about it all wrong since I have just started playing with it but I really do like what I have found with it so far.
    If they stand up, I'm not sure if I can picture an omoplata sweep, but I have managed to work a modified single leg x-guard type of sweep.
    Or it would probably be an opening to make a transition for the back via a "Ryan Hall vs. Hermes Franca" type move.

6. lparnes

lparnes White Belt

are you sure its not z mount, i never heard about z guard. but z mount is a mount where one leg is in regular position and the other is over the arm. used to easily get armbars, triangles, ground and pound knock outs, and neck cranks.

7. Kimuralex

Kimuralex Brown Belt

lots of names, its a half guard where you dont allow him to flatten you out/shoulder pressure by keeping your top knee across his chest (both of your legs are bent parallel).... lots of attacks and sweeps from there

8. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

Guard Glossary: The BJJ Half Guard
    About halfway down the page.