Z-Guard Attacks

OldTimey

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Still working on Z-Half Guard. I can get a lot of sweeps here, but almost never any submissions. I try for the far side Kimura, or near side Mir Lock usually.

Does anyone have any good attack combinations? Thanks!

here, u asked nice, these can help I think

Also, instead of hip in sweep which is way more powerful vs a wrestler, I sometimes now do that pimp roll or whatever because its safer on opponent, though less percantage agaisnt a strong hips opponent

I think this vid maybe got others thinking on it and advancing it since the time i filmed it idk

I don't think of knee shield as a great position for subs against good guys. More so for going to the back or sweeping.

You can attack the free leg if you flip your shin shield into a butterfly hook

If you can free the bottom leg, omoplatas and triangles become available. To be honest though, I'm not sure I've ever seen a successful submission from Z guard in a black belt match. It's a pretty defensive position, usually used to slow down a passer before getting back to a more offensive open guard or version of half guard.

kneebar/toehold combo on the far leg!
look up on youtube, Daniel F.a.ggella (I have to do this to avoid sherdog from blocking the 3 letter word) did a tutorial about this entry.
also, brown belt world champ Dillon Danis does this (watch some of his matches)

kneebar/toehold combo on the far leg!

also, brown belt world champ Dillon Danis does this (watch some of his matches)

Forgot about that. I don't see anyone else doing this but it works for him.

Oliver Geddes has some good material from this position:

I think he did an instructional or two, but I can't find right now

th

I play a lot of z but as mentioned it is to slow down larger and younger opponents and switch to another position for a sweep. To use an in vogue term, it controls distance. The attacker retreats allowing a number of foot on hip techniques if they stand or if they press in on the knees allows some nice butterfly. There are other positions as well (ie ankle picks if they retreat but don't stand) but the options are too many, or I am too lazy to start listing them.

Back