Yves Lavignes Finest Moments

carvalho one was not good. but it happened at a time where there was a big movement in "protecting the fighter" going on. Also, wiman choke on danzig is inexcusable.

the kyle bradley stoppage was justifiable as he fell flat. i personally think if they get up the ref can always change his call if he thinks the fighter can continue. and that brings me to brown/sell. i applaud him for realizing he wouldve had called it early and so he let them continue fighting. i think most of his instances were dishoveled and looked sloppy... obviously it could have been executed better.

overall, i think hes a good ref who has had a bit too many mind farts.

hes not as consistent, as say, herb dean.. but herb might stop a fight if a guy trips over his own foot.

oh and dan miragliotta is finally becoming a somewhat decent ref. he usually kinda bad

2 thumbs up! I thought Mazzagatti was the worst till now.

Any ref can look bad if you just montage all their worst moments.

Didn't Yves Lavigne once stand a couple of guys up when one had a full on kimura? I remember seeing it way back in the day but have not been able to find anything on it.

That sucks these videos make me think they need to get new refs

You gotta love when he trips in the Tito/Machida fight. :)

But overall Yves is a great referee though, it's just when he messes up, he messes up huge. The Matt Brown/Pete Sell fight was all kinds of WTF.

Lavigne had one of the best track records before he started fucking up every other card. Sell/Brown and Danzig/Wiman showed his incompetence both standing & on the ground.

Last edited:
Lately though, if I'm in the UFC and fighting in a main event or title bout, I'd hate to see Lavigne is the referee.

i personally think if they get up the ref can always change his call if he thinks the fighter can continue.

100% agree with this.

Think of how many bad "on the spot calls" could be reversed just by the ref seeing the fighter is saying that they are fine to continue (assuming they actually seem fine) and just reversing the call.

They could have extended this for 20 seconds more.

Silva vs Sonnen II. 20 seconds of uninterrupted shorts grabbing :redface:

im thinking of doing one for mazagatti next. I usually do a lot of research first to find all their worst calls but all I can really think of off the top of my head is the lesnar thing, and the Anthony Johnson TKO loss due to eye poke.

and then another 20-30 minutes of dana complaining about him.

Pretty funny.

Yves is a good ref that is often overlooked (yes he has made a few bad mistakes Danzig vs Wiman for example) but usually he does a good job giving the fighters a chance to recover before stopping the fight.

He had a stretch during the same time period that he made a few bad mistakes but I'd much rather see him ref a fight than Herb, Kim, Steve, or Dan.

Every ref makes mistakes. Some make them more often than others. Yves usually is very solid overall.

Last edited:
Back