Yushin Okami Yes, TUF Quarterfinalists No

If you actually pay to see Okami, you are very much in the minority.

My point about Okami has nothing to do with Tibau. I am saying Okami hurts business, and therefore any salary he is paid is irrelevant to determining whether he is "worth" it. Tibau is not ranked and has never headlined a PPV, so he is not in a position to have a very obvious effect on sales/ratings. Okami is, however, and since you want numbers, here you go.

fDLfk4u.png

That's pretty clear data showing that Okami is bad for business.

weidman is bad for business, clearly thales leites is a bigger draw

What makes you think Tibau is safe?

I am shocked people think every single fighter is in the exact same situation regardless of last fight, stage of career, contract, etc. Like, the Okami cut isn't bullshit because they have Chris Camozzi on the roster or whatever. Do they have to cut every single person who is currently objectively worse than the person they just cut?

If you lose 5 fights in the UFC, all to 5 different people, then you claiming that you failed to BEAT only the best is a bit dishonest. Losing to 5 different people, one who I think was unranked, really means that you failed to beat a lot of people OTHER than the best as well.

I understand what you're saying, but to say he lost to a lot of other people as well is exactly accurate.
His 5 losses in the UFC happened over 6 years without ever having more than one in a single year, and aside from Boetsch they are or were all to the elite of the division at the time.

For me personally, i don't necessarily feel good or bad about Okami getting turfed but i am positive 80-90% of the MW division in the UFC loses to him.

He was a gatekeeper only in the sense that he wasn't going to get a shot at Silva again, that's it.

What makes you think Tibau is safe?

I am shocked people think every single fighter is in the exact same situation regardless of last fight, stage of career, contract, etc. Like, the Okami cut isn't bullshit because they have Chris Camozzi on the roster or whatever. Do they have to cut every single person who is currently objectively worse than the person they just cut?

ok clear and simple

chris leben is only in the ufc because dana is boys with him from being on tuf 1

his few fights have sucked

he doesn't draw and he has been caught doping multiple times

i'm just highlighting an example off the top of my head

there are many more if i researched

i am a big boy, i accept ufc doing whatever it wants

i just consider it hypocritical when they say the quotes that i mentioned above about being as real as it gets implying that this is a sport first

i won't lose any sleep over this, but since we're all on sherdog, i feel like calling it the way i see it

ok clear and simple

chris leben is only in the ufc because dana is boys with him from being on tuf 1

his few fights have sucked

he doesn't draw and he has been caught doping multiple times

i'm just highlighting an example off the top of my head

there are many more if i researched

i am a big boy, i accept ufc doing whatever it wants

i just consider it hypocritical when they say the quotes that i mentioned above about being as real as it gets implying that this is a sport first

i won't lose any sleep over this, but since we're all on sherdog, i feel like calling it the way i see it

So they do have to cut every fighter that is worse than the one they just cut to justify it? So they had a favorite? Wow, that never happens.

You're over-thinking this quite a bit. He was fired because he was boring, end of story.

which is why the UFC will be surpassed. although he was boring, he was a more legitimate fighter than a lot of fighters on the UFC roster.

Pride didn't just get love because of the exciting fights it put on. they got love because the talent level was higher. I disagree with cutting Yushin simply because there are a lot worse fighters on the roster.

I could see cutting him if he wouldn't take a salary cut. but other than that it doesn't really make sense imo

Cutting a top 10 guy while employing shitty TUF fighters is lame.

weidman is bad for business, clearly thales leites is a bigger draw

You don't need me to point out the error in logic with saying that, but hey if you want to ignore the numbers (which you asked for), and live in fantasy land where Okami isn't bad for business, suit yourself.

Anyone with a brain can put 2 and 2 together. Okami has a reputation for being boring. Okami has practically no twitter followers. Okami has never had any discernible fan base. Okami is one of the most detrimental fighters you can have headlining a card for the business of selling PPV's.

Even if you are one of the few guys who sees Okami on a card and decides you want to pay money to watch him fight, you are deluding yourself if you think that you represent more than a small minority of UFC fans.

I don't deny that he is a talented top 10 fighter, but the fans have consistently rejected him. With few exceptions, they don't want to pay to see him. He is a product the customers refuse to buy. That is why he was cut.

You don't need me to point out the error in logic with saying that, but hey if you want to ignore the numbers (which you asked for), and live in fantasy land where Okami isn't bad for business, suit yourself.

Anyone with a brain can put 2 and 2 together. Okami has a reputation for being boring. Okami has practically no twitter followers. Okami has never had any discernible fan base. Okami is one of the most detrimental fighters you can have headlining a card for the business of selling PPV's.

Even if you are one of the few guys who sees Okami on a card and decides you want to pay money to watch him fight, you are deluding yourself if you think that you represent more than a small minority of UFC fans.

I don't deny that he is a talented top 10 fighter, but the fans have consistently rejected him. With few exceptions, they don't want to pay to see him. He is a product the customers refuse to buy. That is why he was cut.

for starters can you share me the source for your numbers?

i always thought the ufc was a private company that doesn't share what its PPV numbers are (and the fact that they are private is the reason why i said they can do whatever they want)

There is nothing I hate more than the low level Brazilian LWs/FWs that they have on to fill up Brazil cards. They have absolutely no business being in the UFC.

Well here is the problem with your argument. No one of any importance has said the part of your quote I bolded. You think you know the reason the UFC cut Okami but you have no idea. That's the problem with MMA fans. They think they know something.

ok going on what dana said, it was basically in summary that yushin can beat a lot of good guys, but can't beat the best guys

i guess i don't know the real reason, i can only go on what dana said which was that yushin was cut because he became a gatekeeper

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/29/4784938/dana-white-yushin-okami-because-he-became-gatekeeper

according to your logic and source though if we use PPV numbers as the gague of people acceptance that means that:

Okami vs. Silva at 335,000 is bigger than the following:

Wanderlei Silva vs. Rich Franklin two of the bigger stars at 140,000

Aldo vs. Mendes at 215,000
Aldo vs. Edgar at 330,000
Aldo vs. Zombie at 170,000

Rashad Evans vs. Bisping at 325,000
Rashad Evans vs. Silva at 300,000
Rashad Evans vs. Tito at 310,000
Rashad Evans vs. Hendo at 150,000

are they box office poison as well?

Everyone realizes there were way worse fighters that could've been cut before Okami. We get that. It has nothing to do with why he was cut.

Also, TLDR except for the first few paragraphs, but your point about him constantly sending guys back to the proverbial drawing board is pretty much why DW said he got axed. Not that I agree with it, because I don't.

according to your logic and source though if we use PPV numbers as the gague of people acceptance that means that:

Okami vs. Silva at 335,000 is bigger than the following:

Wanderlei Silva vs. Rich Franklin two of the bigger stars at 140,000

Aldo vs. Mendes at 215,000
Aldo vs. Edgar at 330,000
Aldo vs. Zombie at 170,000

Rashad Evans vs. Bisping at 325,000
Rashad Evans vs. Silva at 300,000
Rashad Evans vs. Tito at 310,000
Rashad Evans vs. Hendo at 150,000

are they box office poison as well?

The last 3 Rashad fights on your list were all shuffled around because of injuries

faber vs. aldo at 175,000
faber vs. cruz at 320,000
faber vs. barao at 230,000

Just like anything else, if the costs are estimated to be higher than the benefits on the whole, the fighter will be cut.

Even GSP would be cut if he demanded a high enough purse per fight.

Back