Yushin Okami Yes, TUF Quarterfinalists No

Like it or not, the UFC is about creating NEW stars

Can't create NEW stars without bringing in NEW fighters

What's REALLY the difference between a guy who was on TUF and a guy who has a decent record fighting in smaller shows? Where'd Jon Jones come from? Where's Shane Carwin come from?

The UFC want fighters the fans care about. Simple as that, they see the time in TUF as an investment and want to cash in on that investment (See the frustration Dana has with Urijah Hall).

Tl;dr

My guess as to what was said: Okami getting cut sux and I'm pissed

to be fair, the TUF guys were all promised spots in the UFC because the season was so good

If you lose 5 fights in the UFC, all to 5 different people, then you claiming that you failed to BEAT only the best is a bit dishonest. Losing to 5 different people, one who I think was unranked, really means that you failed to beat a lot of people OTHER than the best as well.

with the exception of Boetsch, all of Okami's losses have been against top 10 opponents

that pretty much embodies losing to "the best"

Gatekeeper was just an excuse. He was released because he's not a big PPV draw, not even in Japan. He didn't deserve to be fired but i can understand why they let him go from a business perspective.

Tl;dr

My guess as to what was said: Okami getting cut sux and I'm pissed

Lol, my thought's exactly. Clicked thread with semi-interest, saw the wall of text, and went 'meh, I'm pretty sure I've heard this already'.

Like it or not, the UFC is about creating NEW stars

Can't create NEW stars without bringing in NEW fighters

What's REALLY the difference between a guy who was on TUF and a guy who has a decent record fighting in smaller shows? Where'd Jon Jones come from? Where's Shane Carwin come from?

oh yeah gleison tibau gets $33K to show up = new star for ufc (not nearly as successful)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/2/4...es-rashad-evans-leads-field-with-300000-purse

yushin okami gets $42K to show up = too expensive (#6 rank according to UFC's own system)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/12/...ies-junior-dos-santos-leads-field-with-400000

oh yeah gleison tibau gets $33K to show up = new star for ufc (not nearly as successful)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/2/4...es-rashad-evans-leads-field-with-300000-purse

yushin okami gets $42K to show up = too expensive (#6 rank according to UFC's own system)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/12/...ies-junior-dos-santos-leads-field-with-400000

Doesn't matter if Okami was paid $0, he was detrimental to business.

Every Okami win is a loss for another fighter on the roster, who could have potential to be a bigger draw.

More than that though, of Anderson Silva's last 9 PPV's, his fight with Okami drew the lowest numbers (by far). Basically fans who would ordinarily pay for UFC cards were skipping them when Okami was on the card. Okami is box office poison.

All the people complaining about Okami being cut were not people who were actually paying to watch him fight. Pretty hypocritical IMO.

Maybe Tibau is next

there are many more examples other than tibau

let's call it for what it is

ufc cuts boring guys

ufc keeps exciting guys or guys that dana just happens to like

they can do whatever they want

let's not pretend it doesn't take away from the integrity and credibility of the sport

Every fighter regardless of contract or career is in the exact same situation guys.

Doesn't matter if Okami was paid $0, he was detrimental to business.

Every Okami win is a loss for another fighter on the roster, who could have potential to be a bigger draw.

More than that though, of Anderson Silva's last 9 PPV's, his fight with Okami drew the lowest numbers (by far). Basically fans who would ordinarily pay for UFC cards were skipping them when Okami was on the card. Okami is box office poison.

All the people complaining about Okami being cut were not people who were actually paying to watch him fight. Pretty hypocritical IMO.

you shouldn't speak for others

i actually pay for PPV

i don't like Okami

i pay to see the best regardless

your points about Okami being box office poison is unfounded unless you substantiate numbers for a guy like gleison tibau

there are many more examples other than tibau

let's call it for what it is

ufc cuts boring guys

ufc keeps exciting guys or guys that dana just happens to like

they can do whatever they want

let's not pretend it doesn't take away from the integrity and credibility of the sport

Maybe the examples you have don't reflect what actually is going on

How does it "take away from the integrity and credibility of the sport" ?

What's with the selective morality on this site?

The message is being sent out loud and clear. If you want to play that lay n pray, cage hugging, stalling the clock "fighting" style, you can't lose a single fight. That garbage will no longer tolerated and I can't be happier.

you shouldn't speak for others

i actually pay for PPV

i don't like Okami

i pay to see the best regardless

your points about Okami being box office poison is unfounded unless you substantiate numbers for a guy like gleison tibau

If you actually pay to see Okami, you are very much in the minority.

My point about Okami has nothing to do with Tibau. I am saying Okami hurts business, and therefore any salary he is paid is irrelevant to determining whether he is "worth" it. Tibau is not ranked and has never headlined a PPV, so he is not in a position to have a very obvious effect on sales/ratings. Okami is, however, and since you want numbers, here you go.

fDLfk4u.png

That's pretty clear data showing that Okami is bad for business.

Maybe the examples you have don't reflect what actually is going on

How does it "take away from the integrity and credibility of the sport" ?

What's with the selective morality on this site?

cutting someone that was #6 on your own ranking system because you deem them to not be exciting doesn't take away from the athletics of sport?

i'm not a hypocrite

i've already said the ufc can do whatever it wants, it's a private enterprise

but to willfully ignore the athletic integrity while the head of your organisation insists on saying things like:

"as real as it gets"

"ufc is bigger than soccer"

"mma in they olympics"

"ufc is bigger than the yankess and cowboys"

now that is being hypocritical

Back