Yushin Okami on last night's episode of TUF?.

JamesFromATL

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
As I was watching last night's episode of TUF, I noticed that they showed Yushin Okami for a second at the weigh-ins when everyone was walking away from the scale.

Okami had a Team Sonnen shirt on so I assume he is one of Sonnen's coaches?

If so, the lack of exposure Okami is getting is kind of strange, it's as if they are going out of their way NOT to show him. Even Frank Mir gets shown 10x more than Okami, yet it is Okami who the UFC have told us is "the best fighter to ever come out of Japan".

This sends a chilling message of just how much the UFC doesn't like Okami and how eager they are to cut him. I bet you anything they thought he was going to lose to Hector Lombard and if he had they would have cut him.

They also haven't really shown much of Frank Murr either. It's likely that Murr played much more of a part in traingin than it looks like he does in each episode. They've just changed up the way they do things in this season ... maybe keeping the focus on the head coaches is more important to them this time around

"chilling message" awesome

He was on last week's episode, as well. You can see him in the crowd when Chael and Jones are doing the coaches challenge.

And no, I seriously doubt that there's any kind of effort to freeze him out of screen time. I mean Frank Mir is a frigin two-time former world champ and also former TUF coach, and the guy is barely even visible in that show...

EDIT: O wow, just fully read the OP. TS is clearly off of his meds.

It could be because Okami speaks practically no English...

Yushin trains at Team Quest with Chael, and they're good friends. Yushin stays at Chael's mom's house whenever he's in the states. Chael told a funny story about how his mom almost shot Yushin Okami with a shotgun.

As I was watching last night's episode of TUF, I noticed that they showed Yushin Okami for a second at the weigh-ins when everyone was walking away from the scale.

Okami had a Team Sonnen shirt on so I assume he is one of Sonnen's coaches?

If so, the lack of exposure Okami is getting is kind of strange, it's as if they are going out of their way NOT to show him. Even Frank Mir gets shown 10x more than Okami, yet it is Okami who the UFC have told us is "the best fighter to ever come out of Japan".

This sends a chilling message of just how much the UFC doesn't like Okami and how eager they are to cut him. I bet you anything they thought he was going to lose to Hector Lombard and if he had they would have cut him.

When Sonnen beat Okami, Okami ended up learning from Chael and developed a relationship. Okami is a guest more so, I don't think the editors are being told by the UFC...hey, lets not show Okami he's someone we don't like...no exposure. Okami doesn't speak english...so, whats he going to do....tap dance?

Just throwing this out there for you because I think your reading into something that isn't there.

It was cut.

That kind of proves my point.

I have watched every season of TUF and they always give the people they're trying to promote/ build into stars camera time, and don't show the people they're planning on cutting or not keeping much. They do it on purpose as a business move, the one exception was the live season and we see that they never did that again.

He was in the last shot as they walked away from the announcement of the Semi match-ups

He was in the last shot as they walked away from the announcement of the Semi match-ups

Ah, it was the announcement and not the weigh-ins, I stand corrected. Still they only showed him for 1 second (within a crowd of people), and I was actually surprised when I spotted him because I had no idea he was even one of Sonnen's coaches since I hadn't seen him before that.

what's a chilling message?

THIS.... is a chilling message?

tumblr_mhyrtpWYA71rxgp5ko1_500.jpg

He isn't one of his coaches, the show is taped and the fights and stuff like that happen one after another. He was there training with them, probably for a day or two. They are focused on the fighters on the show, not Yushin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back