"Yushin Okami is the best fighter to ever come out of Japan."

mmaElite53

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Anyone else remember when Dana White said that?
I'm not Okami's biggest fan, but the guy is a former title challenger who just went on a 3 fight winning streak including two big names. He lost to a potential top contender in Jacare, making him 3-1 in his past four. Gets the axe.

Everyone understands the message Dana is trying to send, but I disagree with it. I prefer to watch strikers myself, but I have nothing but respect for a guy like Okami who almost totally dominate their opponents from bell to bell.
I like Dana White, but I think he could show more respect for the sport of mma, and not just the UFC brand. Winners like Okami, (and Fitch) deserve better.

Of course, a lot of people will be happy about the cut, but this is just my two cents.

531957_205466006293707_1044215598_n.jpg

Yushin Okami is the best fighter to ever come out of Japan and be cut by the UFC.

I didn't realize he was 3-1 in his last 4 fights. That's pretty crazy.

Gotta sell dem fights

And Rankings don't matter

And he was the best to go back

Dana and his comments to hype a fight

The "best fighter to ever come from Japan" means almost nothing. Fighters from Japan are mostly terrible.

fighting a smart gameplan is not going to get you anywhere, you must standup like a brute and risk brain damage every time.

Best fighter to come out of Japan. One of only three Japanese fighters to earn a UFC title shot. The UFC should be working harder to develop talent from the former home of Pride where there's definitely a market for it not cutting the only notable Japanese fighter the UFC has.

I dont think this is true. It cant be. they wouldnt cut their best Japanese fighter who is ranked sixth in the world.

Saku, Gomi, Kid, Minowa, Uno, Sudo and Sato are all better than him imo. There are probably others too, you shouldn't believe everything the UFC hype machine tells you.

really undeserving cut. way more undeserving than fitch

Saku, Gomi, Kid, Minowa, Uno, Sudo and Sato are all better than him imo. There are probably others too, you shouldn't believe everything the UFC hype machine tells you.

For the record, I don't think Okami is the best one. I'd go with Gomi on that one. He was the number one ranked lw at some point and took out a lot of killers during Pride's heyday.

Wow, they ranked him at 6 and they still cut him. Crazy.

http://www.ufc.com/rankings

Wow. Just Wow.

So Yushin Okami just got released from the UFC with a 3-1 record in his last 4

...mean while fighters like Chris Leben are on a 3 fight losing streak and happily employed!

Back