Yushin Okami @170lbs

Narddawg

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I always thought Okami was a pretty big MW... Now he's going to fight Jon Fitch at WW at WSOF 24. How do you think he'll do at WW?

I'm hoping he does great. I actually thing the weight he put on in his more recent fights slowed him down too much.

I think he beats Fitch then gets a title fight, it would be interesting seeing him against Toquinho. Okami hits hard(er than Shields and Fitch), is pretty flexible and good at escaping subs.

Yushin may be past his prime but after 39 fights he himself knows if 170 is where he can compete at. Hope he does well.

My God, he walks around at 240

most of this forum once believed that Yushin Okami was the best ever Japanese MMA fighter to live

shows you the extent of Zuffa brainwashing

My God, he walks around at 240

No, he does not.

He weighted in at 202 with his clothes on and fat around his waist for a short notice bout at LHW vs OSP.

most of this forum once believed that Yushin Okami was the best ever Japanese MMA fighter to live

shows you the extent of Zuffa brainwashing

Not really.
Saku was always the Japanese GOAT for most fight fans. Then Gomi.

Okami used to be the most succesful Japanese fighter in the UFC though, its just a fact, and one of the best cage fighters from Japan

Not really.
Saku was always the Japanese GOAT for most fight fans. Then Gomi.

Okami used to be the most succesful Japanese fighter in the UFC though, its just a fact, and one of the best cage fighters from Japan

Okami was well suited to the UFC and they needed someone like him to sell the idea that they have a good Japanese fighter. However, I would not put him into my top 30 Japanese fighters. Like most UFC fighters he had no real skills outside of weight cutting and humping guys like Mark Munoz

When he met simmilar sized men like Boestch he went down quick

Last edited:
Okami was well suited to the UFC and they needed someone like him to sell the idea that they have a good Japanese fighter. However, I would not put him into my top 30 Japanese fighters. Like most UFC fighters he had no real skills outside of weight cutting and humping guys like Mark Munoz

Well this is a load of BS lol.

The guy literally fought at WW his last fight before signing for UFC in 2006 where he went 13-5 at MW.
He weighted in at 181lbs for his last bout in Pride which was a 205lbs bout.
He competed at WW almost half of his career, in his 20s and in his 30s.

Okami was never a big weight cutter at MW and this is not matter of opinion, its is what it is.

About the "humping guys" line, Okami got half of his UFC wins in the feet, specifically outstriked three guys in a row(Marquardt, Muñoz, Linhares) to get a tittle shot in 2011.
He had already gotten another tittle shot in 2008 by, again, not humping but outstriking Tanner and McDonald but missed it due to injury.

Furthermore, Okami still holds the record for most guard passes at MW in UFC history.

Honestly amazed how a guy with this understanding of the sport is in a mma forum and more so in the worlwide forum of sherdog. Holly shit dude

Last edited:

Went down quick? He was easily up on the scorecards until Boetsch had an improbable comeback. Saying Okami isn’t a top 30 Japanese fighter all time is nuts.

Well this is a load of BS lol.

The guy literally fought at WW his last fight before signing for UFC in 2006 where he went 13-5 at MW.
He weighted in at 181lbs for his last bout in Pride which was a 205lbs bout.
He competed at WW almost half of his career, in his 20 and in his 30s.

Okami was never a big weight cutter at MW and this is not matter of opinion, this is what it is. Period.

About the "humping guys" line, Okami got half of his UFC wins in the feet, specifically outstriked three guys in a row(Marquardt, Muñoz, Linhares) to get a tittle shot in 2011.
He had already gotten another tittle shot in 2008 by, again, not humping but outstriking Tanner and McDonald but missed it due to injury.

Furthermore, Okami still holds the record for most guard passes at MW in UFC history.

Honestly amazed how a guy with this understanding of the sport is in a mma forum and even more so in the worlwide forum of sherdog. Holly shit dude

I think Okami got the big weight cutter reputation because Rogan said he was huge for MW and he looked fairly big. In his match against Swick, Swick said in to his corner that Okami felt really strong and Rogan repeated what they said.

I think Okami got the big weight cutter reputation because Rogan said he was huge for MW and he looked fairly big. In his match against Swick, Swick said in to his corner that Okami felt really strong and Rogan repeated what they said.

It seems many opponents agreed on his strenght but I always found lazy this insistence from UFC to sell Okami as a huge MW, which became a weird meme in sherdog btw

If anything, he was a lanky MW. I guess the big head and fairly large frame deceive the eye but used to be around 190lbs when he arrived to UFC:

full

Filled his frame later but was always below 200lbs in fight night which is below avg for elite at MW even back then let alone today, closer to 210.
Shorter reach than average too, even if up there in height.

Last edited:
It seems many opponents agreed on Okami's outstanding strenght but I always found lazy this insistence from UFC to sell Okami as a huge MW, which became a weird meme in sherdog btw

I guess its easier for Rogan to just say "he is so huge!!" than to come up with anything else to say about Okami's strong clinch game and base when he's on top lol

If anything, Okami was a particularly lanky MW. I guess his big head and fairly large frame deceive the eye but used to be around 195lbs in fight night during his prime, below avg for the standards of the elite at MW even back then let alone today, closer to 210.
Shorter reach than average too, even if up there in height.

Some people also seem to overestimate Gomi's size/weight and in the past I heard things like Gomi vs Matt Hughes which was I thought was a little nuts since he probably didn't cut weight or only a few lbs in Pride. And also probably led to the notion that Prides 73kg/160 weight class was tailor made for some Japanese fighters like Gomi/Sakurai who couldn't diet down to 155.

Some people also seem to overestimate Gomi's size/weight and in the past I heard things like Gomi vs Matt Hughes which was I thought was a little nuts since he probably didn't cut weight or only a few lbs in Pride. And also probably led to the notion that Prides 73kg/160 weight class was tailor made for some Japanese fighters like Gomi/Sakurai who couldn't diet down to 155.

The LW division from 20 years ago was mostly filled with natural FWs or even BWs, so in such scenario its possible that Gomi was a good sized LW.
He was obviously undersized by the standards of today or even a decade ago though, and comparing him with Hughes is indeed nuts. The size difference between Hughes and Sakurai in their fight was already very notable.

Back