Yup! Another one of those first tourney threads...

lakergirl52

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I had my tournament this weekend. I've been training Gi for about 2 months now at GRBJJ with wrestleben and dexter. I've always wanted to compete and thought this would be a good way to get my feet wet before doing a bigger tournament that I want to do next year. I entered into the Women's White belt Light Heavy division. They decided to throw five of us together and call it the women's middleweight division.

The strategy that I had been working was to shoot for a takedown from the clinch, go for the single, and work to get side control if I didn't land there. I honestly didn't have much else planned.

Any advice will be great. I know I got a lot to work. Just trying to figure out the order to work on things.

First Match: She pretty much manhandled me. Not gonna lie. At first I tried to tie up with her but then she pulled guard and ended up going for the armbar. Thats when the video started. I'm in the White Gi. Look like a fish out of water. PS. When the video first starts, we're on the other side of the mat. The comments you hear aren't directed to me. Lost to an Ezekial. (Sp?)

Second Match: (I'm in the white gi, patches) I was able to watch this girls match and she shot for the takedown and had it, but couldn't get it down. I decided that I would jump guard and try to work off my back because I was comfortable there (My favorite top position is side control.). I started to work for a half guard sweep but couldn't get it because I wasn't grabbing the foot (worked on the sweep to the week before. Just realized it watching this for the first time.) When I was going for the collar choke, it was pretty high around her head not around her neck. I tried to adjust it but she had her chin tucked down. I also tried to get high guard and possible a triangle, but I suck at triangles, as you can see :p. Toward the end she was working for an Americana was trying to crank it but it wasn't hurting at all. I got to defend it but then I ran out gas hard. Lost to an Ezekial (sp?)

Turns out I was the least experienced in my group, the first girl had been training for 6 months and the second had been training for 2 years. I had fun, but I didn't perform like I wanted to. In the end, I wanted to see how I stacked up against other female grapplers, and I found out. I don't like losing and am more motivated then ever to get back on the mat and really work on everything I did wrong and reworking my game.

Good job on going out there and competing. You could've done worse; at least you didn't get armbarred or omoplata'd in that first match. I didn't see your second match.

Can't really say much except that you look like a typical 2-month white belt (don't take any offense to that!). Just train hard and consistently and everything will work itself out.

Work on your Ezekiel defense.

Also, keep competing. The only way to get better.

I commend you for competing after 2 months. You didn't look bad. You just looked like you've been training for 2 months. You'll look back on this months from now and be amazed how much you've improved.

Good job this early competition will only help you learn and get better faster.

Good job, Laker Girl!

You hear, "Just train" all the time. Montanha always said, "Just Fuc>;ng train".

I like, "Just keep showing up."

Why? Because sensitivity and awareness can only come with mat time experience. You have to know when to attack, defend, escape, sweep, move, etc... You have to figure out timing and body/hand positioning. There are no books or Youtube videos on that that I know of.

If I were your coach and you had another tournament in 6 months I would help you work on "posture in all positions". Your opponents had their way with you when you were mounted.

I am sure Wrestleleben and your team can help you with that.

Thanks for the TT.

Back