You've got to hand it to the Feminists....

I was proposing solutions possible within the system, where you're going with this is something for another thread

Yeah well I really don't think it's possible to talk about fixing such a massive problem without opening a whole big can of worms.

Yeah well I really don't think it's possible to talk about fixing such a massive problem without opening a whole big can of worms.

There are things that can be done in the US like offer maternity/paternity leave and invest in daycare.

There are things that can be done in the US like offer maternity/paternity leave and invest in daycare.

Yeah those would be good things. I doubt concerns about getting enough maternity leave is why fewer educated people are having babies, though. Personally I think it's because most educated people know in the back of their minds that we're heading for a really big change pretty soon, and it might not be a pretty one. Fear that they might be bringing kids into some kind of Cormack McCarthy world or something.

Yeah those would be good things. I doubt concerns about getting enough maternity leave is why fewer educated people are having babies, though. Personally I think it's because most educated people know in the back of their minds that we're heading for a really big change pretty soon, and it might not be a pretty one. Fear that they might be bringing kids into some kind of Cormack McCarthy world or something.

Its part of it but I think its mostly its because people who are educated and wealthy just tend to lead more fulfilling lives. Their work tends to be more fulfilling and they tend to travel more and otherwise enjoy fulfilling leisure time which would be disrupted by a child.

Its part of it but I think its mostly its because people who are educated and wealthy just tend to lead more fulfilling lives. Their work tends to be more fulfilling and they tend to travel more and otherwise enjoy fulfilling leisure time which would be disrupted by a child.

This is surely another good reason, yeah. Come to think of it my only friends who've had babies in the last few years have all been miserable ****s.

This is surely another good reason, yeah. Come to think of it my only friends who've had babies in the last few years have all been miserable ****s.

There are others of course. Like I mentioned earlier, my cousins are having children in their 40s. For them I think they focused a lot on their careers and education(one became a dentist, was unsatisfied, and then attended law school :eek:) and so they likely had less time for dating. By the time they got married and got ready for kids they in their 40s and I think they're not unlike a lot of educated, wealthy women.

This is why I support maternity/paternity leave and investing in day cares, so women like them can find it easier to carve out a space in their lives for children. Otherwise they have to wait for the stars to align even if they want kids.

I bet most people posting in this thread haven't got their own shit together, yet they talking about what is right for society (except IIIIIII he seems to be at least honest about it). Those who are for monogamous relationship probably aren't in a relationship, and the ones who are arguing for women's promiscuity probably eating creampie made by another man. :wink:

From my point of view: On one hand Society can go its own way as long as its not telling me and my wife what to do.

On the other hand one needs to set boundaries for society and for oneself, a person who does not set boundaries for him self, ends up in shit, same goes for society that consists of such people.

Promiscuity = no boundaries, so it is a bad thing both for society and individuals.

Maybe specially for women, since it seems that women's self-realization is in family and children. Women here in Norway are "liberated" as hell. Society doesn't judge them as much as in other countries, etc... they really don't need a men. They (can) live fantastic on welfare with their children, yet they still desire monogamous relationship, some desire it while fucking whole Somalia but that is a story for another time.

Last edited:
There is a pretty big distinction between a family which is struggling to put food on the table, and one that has food to spare. Micro loans and the like surely help the poor family economically, which in turn helps the family unit I suppose, but this seems very different from a family which does not require two people in the work force.

I prefer my wife taking care of my kids rather than a stranger, followed closely by me taking care of my kids. What I don't like is the narrative that a stay at home mom is somehow inferior to one that is in the work force. That in itself is a sexist idea that parades around as an egalitarian one.

No suppose about it, studies show women in abject poverty are more likely to funnel wealth they create to children.

My wife is stay at home with our child. I don't think the narrative you are worried about is that real for most people. But yeah when it happens, it should be brushed off as a stupid notion. Of course not everyone can afford todo this, and the man could be stay at home as well.

Just had my fist and could not be happier and that is coming as a surprise for me (did not realize how much I would love being a father and having him).

Back