YouTubers are PO'ed and had enough. #WTFU

I'm watching the current season of the amazing race where all the participants are popular youtubers.

They work really hard to get their videos out, it's not easy and very competitive.

Top guys and girls are millionaires.

No YT reviews of shit unless you get permission first.
Then it would become like video game reviews, where the only people getting early review copies are basically yes-men. When the situation devolves to that state, it becomes much more difficult to find unbiased opinions since the entire sample is skewed. Personally I find that to be anti-consumer and largely uninformative when I'm trying to make a purchasing decision.

The problem is that people are receiving copyright strikes and claims on videos that not only use content fairly and properly, but even videos that literally use NO copyrighted content at all. Revenue has been withheld due to claims on videos that are reviews of movies that show NO CLIPS at all - just the reviewer sitting there talking about the movie. Not only is that fair use, it's literally NO USE.
Well, that is a problem. I think I saw other channels have similar problems.

Apparently the big "prank" channels are getting special treatment on YouTube. Some channels criticize those "prank" channels and called out their obvious fake pranks and YouTube slammed them for their critique with copyright strikes.

This should be a sign to get out of the YouTube business and seek alternate forms of income unless they are already making bank even through this clusterfuck. I mean even if they resolve this issue in their favor, there is no guarantee some new BS won't show up down the line to mess with their income.

Even if you think they're worthless individuals, the lack of due process is cause for alarm IMO.

What due process should they expect?

Someone else is hosting the videos, and that entity can refuse to do so, no?

What due process should they expect?

Someone else is hosting the videos, and that entity can refuse to do so, no?

Sure they can, but is it right to do so? It's simply disingenuous to hide behind copyright law, but then ignore fair use.

I wish every company was like Prince and tear everything that belong to them down off YT and the Internet unless they say you can use. No YT reviews of shit unless you get permission first. Can you picture how the reviews of shit would look without ever showing the products they reviewing they alking about.

What sense does this make at all?

YTers are btiching because there is a thing called fair use which is a real thing in the real world
In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner.

^ now make sure to read that last part and it is obvious why the yt thing is bullshit

Well, that is a problem. I think I saw other channels have similar problems.

Apparently the big "prank" channels are getting special treatment on YouTube. Some channels criticize those "prank" channels and called out their obvious fake pranks and YouTube slammed them for their critique with copyright strikes.

This should be a sign to get out of the YouTube business and seek alternate forms of income unless they are already making bank even through this clusterfuck. I mean even if they resolve this issue in their favor, there is no guarantee some new BS won't show up down the line to mess with their income.

Fake pranks are shit, but I don't know offhand what the legal grounds might be to ban them. It's no different from a semi-scripted reality show. It's shit content, but the solution to that is not watching.

It is an industry that right now is based on the whims of YouTube. Things can go up in smoke pretty quickly, but YouTube is kind of like the UFC with the Reebok contract and sponsor tax, etc. They can push and push and push to squeeze out each extra dollar from content creators (or fighters), but there will eventually come a point where they push too far.

Every revolution in history is because there was eventually a straw that broke the camel's back, or those in power overplayed their hand.

There's even a guy on here that had his video taken down by Zuffa and, if you ask me, he stuck to fair use. His video was called "UFC Sucks and Here's Why" or something like that. Obviously, the title alone is going to piss off Zuffa and is asking for trouble, but he used the minimum necessary Zuffa footage in a long video essay about Zuffa's marketing practices. Zuffa has his video taken down within a day or two.

Sure they can, but is it right to do so?

I honestly don't know enough about it to feel strongly one way or the other.

My gut tells me that YouTube can do whatever they want. Ultimately it's a business decision and if they throttle too tightly, maybe it opens the door to competition.

Seems like some shady shit from YouTube as well. This way they can potentially withhold millions every month from the content creators.

I honestly don't know enough about it to feel strongly one way or the other.

My gut tells me that YouTube can do whatever they want. Ultimately it's a business decision and if they throttle too tightly, maybe it opens the door to competition.

I generally agree. Personally, I just think if you're going to respect the right of say....the RIAA to make a copyright claim, it only seems fair to give the defendant the time and means to defend themselves. The current system is in the vein of "guilty until proven innocent". If I were to guess, youtube stands to make more money from the corps than user channels and that's why the system is so skewed. Like you said, they have a lot of wiggle room since they aren't a governmental body, but it just seems unfair to me.

Maybe you should clean the shit out of your ears then.

A few people can no longer make money from youtube videos because the clips they use to make the movies look like shit are no longer allowed? I think the world will continue as normal....

There's a shit load of work put in to some of thsee videos, they have every right to make money from them. A big problem is YouTube is extremely automated and no one can get them to work with them to fix the issue on all sides. YouTube makes way too much money to pull this kind of stuff.

I don't sympathize because I don't view creating YouTube content as a real endeavour that deserves significant compensation.

I have some old sports highlights that I copied off my old VHS tapes full of all sports and just yesterday MLB claimed one as their own, another was claimed by the NHL. Not sure how they get away with that when there's all kinds of sports in each vid but they do. I wasn't monetizing them either but I get notifications every now and then. I also made a video with the song "B-boy Bouillabaisse" over top and it was banned in every country except Sudan lol. True story. I think the youtube robots detected all the samples used in that track and just banned it everywhere.

A few people can no longer make money from youtube videos because the clips they use to make the movies look like shit are no longer allowed? I think the world will continue as normal....

So basically if the world continues as normal we don't give a fuck if law abiding people are getting their money stolen?
Hey, I think if your house got robbed tomorrow the world would be just fucking peachy so no big deal, right?

There's a shit load of work put in to some of thsee videos, they have every right to make money from them. A big problem is YouTube is extremely automated and no one can get them to work with them to fix the issue on all sides. YouTube makes way too much money to pull this kind of stuff.
You don't have a right to make money from videos just because you put work into them. YouTubers make money based off the views they bring to their videos and channel. This is ad revenue. There are plenty of small YTers who put work into their videos but make nothing because they don't attract enough viewers to their channel.

So basically if the world continues as normal we don't give a fuck if law abiding people are getting their money stolen?
Hey, I think if your house got robbed tomorrow the world would be just fucking peachy so no big deal, right?

Pretty shit way to put it, it's like saying someone broke into my house, stole some of my things then made a video talking about how shitty my things are.

Go get a real job ya fuckin crybabies
ec0bce87ecc10bf18518f5b3feefcccf.jpg

Back