youtube instructionals

TrumpetDan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I am always somebody that goes on youtube for long periods of time to get ideas for new techniques. One thing that was frustrating to me was that I would see a good more here or a good move there but it wasn't organized into some sort of system that connected all the moves together. Though there is a lot of good stuff out there (and a lot of bad stuff too) but I thought there was a small nitch for me to develop some instructional videos. I figured it would combine my interest in jiu jitsu, teaching others and video production.

I filmed a bunch of lessons the other day. I figured for every 10 people that subscribe to my channel I will edit and upload 1 video. I welcome feedback.

Youtube.com/trumpetdanbjj

Chicken, meet egg. Egg, meet chicken.

You might get more people to subscribe if you actually posted some of your videos so that people could see if they are good. If they are, the subscribers will come. As of right now, you have no videos available (unless that's in error).

Wait, you want 10 suscribers before uploading one video? No offense, but i dont think youll upload a ton of videos.

Why not upload a couple, and based off of comments both there and here, upload more.

Actually, having read through your log, I'm intrigued.

You've got a subscriber (cue something from SouthPark's "You have 0 friends" episode).

Sorry. I hit upload before I went to work and when I got home I discovered the internet went down. I had been *cough* borrowing my neighbors internet.

I guess I can't complain about something I'm getting for free.

I currently have about 35 technique videos up on youtube and I get approximately one or two subscribers a week. I'm going to be honest, if you only have one video it's going to be tough to get subscribers.

Like a couple people have posted previously, you'll have more success if you post 10 or 15 and then keep updating.

Good luck !

Good vids so far I definitely look forward to seeing more..

Anyone get yelled at for using moves you learned on your own?

Last edited:
Anyone get yelled at for using moves you learned on your own?

Naw.... Jiu jitsu is a collective knowledge. No one person knows everything. All of my BB instructors are great people and open minded to new ideas and techniques. Often they have their students show them new things and then add their wisdom to the move making the understanding even greater. The constant exchange of new information makes it a really great atmosphere. I have been to some gyms where you must use your instructors moves only, so I understand where you are coming from. There is a lot of value in that too.

My point was that there is a bunch of things you learn on the mat that you were never taught, but learn anyway. For me, it is some of the things I mentioned in that lesson.

TrumpetDan sounds familiar, are you Gracie Garage TrumpetDan by chance?

Meaning what exactly? How does the fact that I am willing to help beginners out of my home for free change anything?

Meaning what exactly? How does the fact that I am willing to help beginners out of my home for free change anything?

Nobody accused you of anything, why so defensive?

Before anyone gives TrumpetDan shit, go read his training log. He's a legit purple who trains like 10 times a week.

Good vids man.

Before anyone gives TrumpetDan shit, go read his training log. He's a legit purple who trains like 10 times a week.

Good vids man.

Thats what I was saying. Ive seen his stuff, I was just worried some people on here would do what they usually do...

I think there were overtones in your comment about how the controversy surrounding the gracieuniversity system was going to make a mockery of my thread because I run a garage and was featured in a mailer.

I think there were overtones in your comment about how the controversy surrounding the gracieuniversity system was going to make a mockery of my thread because I run a garage and was featured in a mailer.

No the problem has been lately people arguing for no reason and taking threads in the direction they weren't meant for. IE someone makes a thread on half-guard but people turn it into an Eddie Bravo love/hate thread...

Back