You're in deep half, and your partner steps over your head...

Just read it. Awesome post.

Do you ever try to quickly come up on a single (or I guess it would be a head outside singe/high crotch)?

Or is the guillotine and brabo choke danger too much of a threat by coming up with your head on the outside?

Thanks as always- looking forward to playing with this tonight!

Great stuff as always. At risk of distracting from your instructional, I've also had very good success with Philip Della Monica's bridge and "pendulum" sweeps from this position. Crossing the legs outside-in creates a very strong barrier to your opponent extracting their leg and few people expect to be reversed in this way.

There must be something to a technique that works twice in a row on Rafa Mendes.

it looks to me like both times rafa got swept it was because he sat on his bum and committed his support leg away from support to try and kick open the legs of della monica, left him open to the pendulum roll backwards. Nice sweep to take advantage of that

I like it when people step over in deep half...as long as I have my grips set up correctly before they step. The last technique is my favorite, but I've never seen it done without a hook. If you don't have a hook, you are coming up into a 50/50 back take position.

So much new stuff these days. Half guard is still a survival position in my game.

Just read it. Awesome post.

Do you ever try to quickly come up on a single (or I guess it would be a head outside singe/high crotch)?

Or is the guillotine and brabo choke danger too much of a threat by coming up with your head on the outside?
I do indeed, although the threats you mentioned are definitely viable. :)

I like it when people step over in deep half...as long as I have my grips set up correctly before they step. The last technique is my favorite, but I've never seen it done without a hook. If you don't have a hook, you are coming up into a 50/50 back take position.
I disagree, and I've been playing with this position for a good while now (it was introduced to me about 7 years ago by Jake MacKenzie, but I've only really been successful with it for the last 2 or 3 years). I think the lapel trumps the hook, and it isn't 50/50 at all in terms of who will get a dominant position.

Back