Your worst injury? come back stronger...did you come back?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Unr8dBJJ, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Unr8dBJJ

Unr8dBJJ Yellow Belt

Hey guys,

I've a variety of injuries, dislocations, cracked ribs, back issues, etc...but I've never been sidelined for a lengthy period of time. I'm thankful for that, but recently two friends of mine have gotten the worst end of the stick. One buddy tore his PCL and MCL and another friend Tore his groin. I keep telling these guys, rehab, play it smart and safe and you'll be back in no time, better than ever.

I can only say it in support because I've never experienced it first hand. If you guys could let me know if you've had similar injuries, how was the rehab, length of time and did you come back (I know that's per person and everyone gets discouraged in their own way)

Thanks guys, I want these guys to have support and stay hungry to keep training.

2. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

2nd lesson of judo launched on my shoulder by some 100kg brown belt...heard around 8 separate pops/crunches/clicks...no break but badly seperated shoulder...took a month before I could drill...2 months before I could roll and I'm on the 3rd month now and I did my first push compound exercise yesterday...just 25kg dumbell press and still stiff and weak :(...really hope its not a permanent thing I have done

3. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I had two meniscus surgeries.

Each took about six months to come back all the way. I came back fine though.

Tell your friend to watch classes while he is recovering. It keeps you involved, and you learn more than you think.

4. Kbits

Kbits Blue Belt

Torn ACL (90%) and MCL. Took year off, came back. Decided wanted safety margin so got it reconstructed (hammy graft). Out for another 12 months. Back to it since 2013.

Judo is a sunk cost now :)

Rehab: (pre surgery) crutches for 3 months. Followed standard protocols. Did a bunch of tai-chi (great leg workout). Got back to judo after 8 or so months.

After surgery: much the same.

Taichi gave me a new perspective on grappling while being low impact

5. Kevza

Kevza Blue Belt

Hip and separate shoulder surgeries. Neither kept me out before the surgeries athough the shoulder had to be managed. Lost a total of about 6 months with them before I was rolling hard again. Currently out with a back injury that isn't even possible to work around or do technique. Been goin on now for 6 months although I trained through the pain most of that time stupidly. Chompin at the bit to get back in there but I want to proper rehab first so its completely healed this time.

6. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Out ~5 years with two herniated discs. They still flare up from time to time. Right now, actually, I'm having to forgo both squatting & deadlifting in the weight room and inverting on the mat to let them heal a little. I assume they'll hurt forever, I really hope we develop decent artificial discs at some point. Or stem cell therapies to repair them, I'm not picky.

7. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

By the time we get good artificial discs, verted jiu jitsu will probably be back in style.

Just can't win.

8. Newcastle

Newcastle Brown Belt

I've torn my MCL (training), recently broke my foot (outside training), and fractured my orbit (training). I'd have to say by far the scariest was the orbit because I almost needed corrective surgery. Popped 3 ribs once and that was one of the more "difficult" I guess you could say just because it took forever to heal.

9. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

My worst injury was a herniated cervical disk and it healed 100% over about five or six years.

If you can keep the weight and impact off, they can heal. Lumbar herniations seem much harder to heal because it's so hard to avoid stressing them all the time.

10. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Sitting at a desk is probably the worst thing I do to my back to be honest. The ligaments never really get nice and tight, so the discs are always at risk for slipping.

11. Deadbjj

Deadbjj White Belt

ACL - was out till about 5 months after surgery - didn't feel 100% till about 12 months

2 Meniscus - one for repair then the second to cut it out after repair failed - was out for about 6 months and about 12 before I felt 100%

Currently recovering from shoulder labrum tear - had surgery on 31 dec so still pretty fresh. It has been much easier than the knee surgeries to far.

All except for shoulder happened in class. Shoulder happened lifting weights.

12. Throwing Dummy

Throwing Dummy Green Belt

-7 years out after a broken vertebrae with some complications.
    -I can't remember how much time I've missed over the missing end of my collar bone eaten away by cysts after a bad judo fall in 94 or so
    -6 weeks for torn knee ligaments
    -10 weeks for another batch of torn knee ligaments, 6 months of slow rolling with safe partners
    -an interminable never fully recovery from a severed big toe ligament, surgically repaired and retorn
    -5 months after back surgery to fix further problems 15 years after original broken back
    -4 months out after emergency partial gastrectomy due to an undiagnosed burst ulcer and peritonitis.
    -6 weeks off here and there when my back acts up...
    -a week off for each of three thumb dislocations...
    -broken fingers...do they even count? I just kept training with those, hands taped like clubs.
    -8 weeks for surgery to repair bone break in foot that healed wrong when I left it untreated, like a dumbass.

I just keep going back and training more. I'm a blue belt still after starting bjj in 1996. It's just a lot of fun :) Just if they take it easy coming back you're friends will be fine.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  13. EGDM

EGDM Blue Belt

Four meniscus surgeries (2x each right, left lateral). I was training two months post-op but didn't feel 100% until almost a year after each.

Arthroscopy to address arthritis and torn labrum in my hip. Still 3-6 months out of getting back on the mat. I expect to make a full recovery eventually, subject to whatever lingering limitations the arthritis imposes.

14. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Tore my LCL in judo before my last wrestling season; had my best wrestling season on it actually only losing 3 times and winning 85% of my matches.

Tore out a ligament in my ankle, it clicks all the time now and has more mobility than it should. It's still stable thankfully to good muscles and i have no issues, i even competed on it the following week.
    Hit a wall, tear it down.

15. Mocex

Mocex Yellow Belt

6 months after neck injury,came back stronger after that one just to injure myself again 3 months after and then 6 months off cause of mcl injury.Started training 2 weeks ago.Knee still feels weaker,some positions(outward pressure on knee) make me tap.It hurted few times(sharp pain).Knee clicks sometimes when i stand up from seated position.I would say im at 60%.I hope i m gonna get back stronger with this one.

Btw anyone else with MCL injury?Your experiences?Did u experience clicking when u stand up from steaded position?

GL with recovering from your injuries everyone.

16. mazacultura

mazacultura White Belt

Post-concussion syndrome. Out since September 2013.

17. robby241

robby241 Blue Belt

torn intercostal muscle. kept me out of the gym for about 2 months.

18. Musheen

Musheen Orange Belt

Tore my ACL, LCL, some tendons and meniscus all in one go. It was so bad I wasn't allowed to bend my knee after surgery for 6 weeks unless the PT was there to make sure it was ok. Was off the mat for 4 months, then lay on my back and worked what ever I could for about 3 months. Started to play half guard, which led to me developing a pretty decent z guard and deep half. I would say I'm at 90-95% right now 18 months later.

19. Striderxdj

Striderxdj Brown Belt

-MCL injury drilling kimura sweeps with a guy that easily had 100lbs on me landing on it... no idea how serious it is/was (no insurance), happened about 4 months ago and it still aches if I fully extend my leg while standing.
    -Neck Inury from a white belt attempting a guillotine that was really just a neck crank, that was 2 years ago and it's still sore even after some PT.

20. Forceof1

Forceof1 Blue Belt

4 months so far after major shoulder surgery. I didn't set foot in the gym for 3 months. I did watch a shit load of Ryan Hall DVD's. I've come back teaching basic classes and walking through techniques. Thats probably my next 2 months, with some light drilling and walk throughs. I learned a shit ton during my time off, and expect to get back to speed (if not better) after the disaster that is my cardio gets reconciled.