your training frustrations

lowdown1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So I was curious what you guys and galls training and progression frustrations are. Everyone hits a plateau once and a while what do you do to keep progressing and moving forward???

just focus on your training.
For exemple, just focus on one technique at a time and move to another once you get bored with it.

stop counting the so called win and losses at training.

It is counter productive to gauge your improvement based on others as it does not give you a correct measurement/feedback.

I hate it when no one around me understands the importance of drilling.

So I was curious what you guys and galls training and progression frustrations are. Everyone hits a plateau once and a while what do you do to keep progressing and moving forward???

You are taking your rolling sessions like a contest. Don't worry so much about tapping and concentrate more on trying new techniques or work on your weak areas. I tell my guys all the time that I don't walk around keeping track of how many people they tapout.....it is not going to get them promoted any faster if I did.

Giving up 100+ pounds to people who don't want to work on technique, getting outmuscled, flattened, crushed and smothered en route to a strength driven submission is not my idea of fun. I know its part of jiu jitsu being able to deal with larger guys, but the big ones with no interest in developing good technique is just a pain in the ass.

I like to get as many reps in as possible, sometimes other people don't share the same philosophy...this annoys me. Although if they just decide that they have the technique down, I'll request that I keep repping it out until instructed otherwise (with gradually increased intensity/resistance).

You are taking your rolling sessions like a contest. Don't worry so much about tapping and concentrate more on trying new techniques or work on your weak areas. I tell my guys all the time that I don't walk around keeping track of how many people they tapout.....it is not going to get them promoted any faster if I did.

Im not sure what part of my post stated I keep a Tap calculator in the gym, That was not my question.And believe me im not that guy. My question was what in your training are you frustrated with and how do you keep moving forward. I don't measure my progression on gym taps however I do get frustrated when......... I'm having trouble with escapes or feeling gassed or my sweeps are falling short etc.

Im not sure what part of my post stated I keep a Tap calculator in the gym, That was not my question.And believe me im not that guy. My question was what in your training are you frustrated with and how do you keep moving forward. I don't measure my progression on gym taps however I do get frustrated when......... I'm having trouble with escapes or feeling gassed or my sweeps are falling short etc.

I think you need to read my post again carefully.

You stated that you are hitting a plateau and being frustrated. Well this conclusion is based on your sparring right? So if you were tapping everyone out then you would not feel you hit a plateau or you would be frustrated right.

So that is why I responded the way I did.

You stated that you are hitting a plateau and being frustrated. Well this conclusion is based on your sparring right? So if you were tapping everyone out then you would not feel you hit a plateau or you would be frustrated right.

So that is why I responded the way I did.

No my question was What are your training and progression frustrations. I added that everyone hits a plateau because I was not interested in hearing that as someones frustration and I never sed I hit a plateau however I have hit many. I can get tapped a million times or tap everyone a million times in one class does that necessarily mean im not frustrated with my progression? I'm interested in other peoples frustrations or how they feel they are progressing regarding jiujitsu so if you would like to answer the question now we have that sorted out I would love to have your opinion.

I just got back from overseas and was training at a dojo (judo) there while attending school. These guys were good,classes were brutal, and I was getting dominated for a good while but my overall game improved vastly. Now I help my instructor teach new and lower level guys. Sometimes it is too easy as our skill levels are so far apart its not challenging at all. We just don't get many higher level people that come in.

So what I do now is work on setting up new throws and I have been working off my back and working half guard like no ones business. We have new guys that will go 1000 MPH during rolls and it helps me stay calm and just work my technique. I'm using this time to patch up the many holes in my game. We'll see if it works come competition time.

What I've noticed is that when I plateau it's really just a state of mind...bc when I "break thru the plateau" I seem to make a major jump in skill.

So the plateaus that I seem to be in are really just period of times that I am overthinking my game, trying to do too much, trying to change my game etc. Then when I just chill out and roll, all the shit Ive been forcing just seems to flow into my game and Im better than before I "plateau'd"

So with that in mind...I now think my plateau's are really just periods of EGO! I am caring too much about winning, not surrendering points, not losing position, not getting taps etc. If you look at each particular training session as its own learning experience than you really never plateau.

Any of this make any sense at all?

It sounds like you already defined what you want to work on. So establish what you want to improve on so just pick one at a time and put yourselves in such bad spot and work on it. One technique at a time

Injuries. Often when everything is going smoothly, an injury will happen and I won't be able to take full advantage of a "growth" period. I have recurring minor bicep tears on both arms that flare up when I overtrain - a legacy from holding pads for heavy hitters.

Injuries. Often when everything is going smoothly, an injury will happen and I won't be able to take full advantage of a "growth" period. I have recurring minor bicep tears on both arms that flare up when I overtrain - a legacy from holding pads for heavy hitters.

I used to get so many injuries from overtraining when I first started BJJ. It took me a long time to find a balance between BJJ and all the other activities I do outside of class.

Honestly, I see a lot of guys plateau when they get ahead of themselves. We have an "advanced BJJ" class as well as a "beginner BJJ" class and I see guys rushing into the advanced class too much. Let your ego go and get really good at the basic blue-belt curriculum and it will never fail you. Guys learning omoplatas when they can't pass guard worth a damn or execute a decent triangle is just silly. Relax and get good at the basics and you will hardly ever get tapped and tap quite a few people in the process. You will never land advanced subs without knowing the basics inside and out. Drill every basic sweep and sub in the blue belt curriculum until you could do them in your sleep and your game will really improve drastically..

Terere has been teaching at my gym for the last couple of days. The thing that he stressed in every lesson was to use sparring for learning rather than to see who you can dominate and who dominates you etc. He said to try the techniques that you have been taught in class rather than the same ones that you have been doing all the time. If you have a weak part of your game just try and work on that particular part of your game.

It is more easily said than done.

You just have to keep going. My current frustration is a neck injury that is just really hanging on. Im impatient and hate letting stuff heal so now im just going to crack down and let it.

Back