Your Top Three Gi and/or No-Gi DVDs

Grassshoppa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What are your top three Gi DVD recommendations? What are your top three no-gi DVD recommendations?

You'll probably see a lot of the same answers.

Gi

Saulo Ribeiro's JJ revolution 1 set
Carlos Machado's Infinite Jiu jitsu set
Demian Maia's Science of jiu jitsu 2 set

No gi

Saulo Ribeiro's freestyle revolution
Jeff Munson's Jiu jitsu cookbook
Barrett Yoshida's DVD

Gi:

-saulos dvds
-2009 mundial footage
-2008 mundial footage

Nogi:

-adcc 2009 footage
-adcc 2007 footage
-Marcelo garcias most recent DVD set (new game jj)

Gi JJ

Saulo Ribeiro's JJ Revolution 1 & 2 (Refuse to choose between them)
2008 BJJ World Championships
2009 BJJ World Championships

No-Gi JJ
(I haven't yet seen any of the ADCC or No-Gi Pan or World Championships yet so I can't say them on my list, this list may change in the future.) For right now:

Gracie Combatives
The Triangle by Ryan Hall
Marcelo Garcia New Game JJ (Volume 4)

I don't play a lot of gi so I haven't looked for dvds in that genre. However, no gi my top three are ryan hall triangle, reilly bodycombs two disc seminar and imanaris leg lock dvd. Imanaris dvd is worth it just for the fight footage. He just maims people its amazing

No Gi:

10th Planet JJ Allstars(Sean Bollinger, Denny Prokopos, Scott Epstein)
Mastering the Rubberguard 1-3(Eddie Bravo)

No Gi:

10th Planet JJ Allstars(Sean Bollinger, Denny Prokopos, Scott Epstein)
Mastering the Rubberguard 1-3(Eddie Bravo)

Personally, I thought 10th Planet Allstars was just "ok". I thought that each move was kind of rushed until Sean Bollinger, Sean seemed nervious but he seemed to give the best instruction in my opinion, that is coming from me & I don't train though.

I'm more looking forward to Mastering the Twister DVD by Eddie Bravo if it ever comes out & Advanced Rubber Guard Book & DVD. Eddie said on his website that he was just about to start writing his Advanced Rubber Guard book.

Do you train, if so, where do you train at?

For no-gi:
Saulo Ribeirio
Marcelo Garcia (I liked the first series the best)

DVD series to avoid:
Sonnen's "Advanced Triangle Escapes"
Trigg's "Rear Naked Choke Defense Essentials"

Both gi and nogi

Hall
Saulo
Maia

It really doesn't matter which DVD. They're all gold.

For both Gi and NoGi

Grappling Game Plan Seminar
Saulo Ribeiro
Ryan Hall Triangle

For no-gi:
Saulo Ribeirio
Marcelo Garcia (I liked the first series the best)

DVD series to avoid:
Sonnen's "Advanced Triangle Escapes"
Trigg's "Rear Naked Choke Defense Essentials"
Let's not forget Rich Franklins how to defeat the clinch set and the all new James Toney weight loss and advanced takedown defense set.

Demian Maia's dvds are awesome. they really breakdown everything to the lowest level any of the moves he shows are easy to assimilate into your game.

I really enjoyed Glover's Deep Half dvd for gi. I would place it in the top three for me, as it has a lot of ideas on how to counter the half guard (both deep and regular), as well as how to play deep half. Also has some submissions with lots of angles.

I also enjoy Gustavo Machado's Great Escapes and Counters. Lots of simple counters to common submissions, it has really improved my escapes from submissions.

Back