Your top 5 all time greatest Welters.

As a clear number 1 you have GSP, as a clear number 2, far behind, you have Hughes and then far behind him you have a toss up between Woodley, Shields and Lawler.

Up and comers: Usman and Askren.

Honorable mentions: Hendricks, Condit, Diaz.

GSP 1

the next 4 in no particular order would be Shields, Woodley, Lawler, and Hughes.

Shields beat...

Maia, Woodley, Akiyama, Kampmann, Henderson, Lawler, Daley, Condit, Okami...

and you put Askren top 5 all time after a controversial win over Lawler? When did you start watching MMA? January?

Come on dude.
As I already said, I thought Kampmann won, Woodley & Maia could have just as easily went their way imo. His only definitive UFC win that stood up was against Akiyama, the rest were a coin flip, he emphatically lost or ruled No Contest. Plus losing to Ellenberger & Lombard yikes. Hendo was at MW too, and though Dan is a all time great, there is one thing Dan proved over his long career, he is totally beatable.

Lawler and Henderson don't really count towards his status as a welterweight, since they happened at Middleweight.

Well maybe Lawler as he fought at Welterweight too, but still.

1. GSP
2. Hughes
--------------
3-100 everyone else.

That's your opinion, I have mine. Woodley & Askren overtake K1 Shields.

Maybe. But this two would be very, very difficult fights. Well, that's why they make the fights!

GSP
Shields
Woodley
Lawler
Condit
Fitch
Hughes

My all times greats to watch fight because they brought (bring it) everytime, zero bullshit, they come to fight and get busted up.

Carlos Condit
Robbie Lawler
Nick Diaz
Martin Kampmann
Paul Daley

There's more but thread asked for five.

Add Chris Lytle to the "just bleed" list too :) - The dude realized he wasnt good enough to fight for the title so he just tried to make bonuses!! heh. He got 10 bonuses!

As I already said, I thought Kampmann won, Woodley & Maia could have just as easily went their way imo. His only definitive UFC win that stood up was against Akiyama, the rest were a coin flip, he emphatically lost or ruled No Contest. Plus losing to Ellenberger & Lombard yikes. Hendo was at MW too, and though Dan is a all time great, there is one thing Dan proved over his long career, he is totally beatable.
Shields also should have lost the decision against Okami.
I agree that his wins look way better on paper than watching the actual fight.

On the other hand, you keep mentioning losses to Ellenbeger and preUsada Lombard as if it was a shame...its not. Concretely that version of Lombard was fearsome, was a problem for any WW and actually ducked by many

Shields also should have lost the decision against Okami.
I agree that his wins look way better on paper than watching the actual fight.

On the other hand, you keep mentioning losses to Ellenbeger and preUsada Lombard as if it was a shame...its not. Concretely that version of Lombard was fearsome, was a problem for any WW and actually ducked by many
That's fair, I just don't see him in a top 5 position.

1) GSP
2) Hughes
3) Shields
4) Woodley
5) Lawler

Ray Robinson
Ray Leonard
Money Mayweather
Tommy Hearns
Kid Gavilan

Well, they could have went their way, but they didn't. They were close fights, and Shields won, all of them. And the fact Hendo is beatable doesn't mean that is not a spectacular win, considering Henderson at the time was in excellent shape and one of the top MWs in the world.

Beating Lawler, Okami, Daley, Condit, Pyle, Thompson, and Sexy is a lot.

http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/4563/Jake-Shields-vs-Demian-Maia
http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/4290/fight
http://mmadecisions.com/decision/1981/Jake-Shields-vs-Martin-Kampmann

Back