Your top 5 all time greatest Welters.

Well he knocked off Lawler who is top 5 and recently the WW champion, that and him being undefeated puts him up there imo. People are giving me a hard time about not including Shields who doesn't meet your criteria.

I never mentioned Shields, buddeh. I merely said past champs are higher on MY list, than non-champions. That’s allowed. And a disputed win in Askren’s only UFC fight over Lawler doesn’t mean he inherits Lawler’s legacy. Or Serra would be number 1.

GSP firmly at the top.

The next 2 to 10 is going to be and has been hot potato'ed around.

not that hard compared to some other classes

gsp
hughes
woodley
lawler
shields

easier for me to do that top 5 then do one for 205, or even 265

How could you possibly justify Askren over shields
Because he's been the best/champion everywhere he goes, is undefeated with several real good scalps including a top 5 all time WW he stopped in the first round recently. Shields came to the UFC didn't impress, lost to GSP convincingly, lost to Ellenberger in under a minute, barely beat Martin Kampmann, & lost to UFC Hector fucking Lombard. Sorry that's not impressive to me. I see I'm in the minority and that's fine, I respect your opinion.

The top two are pretty easy I expect there to something of a consensus that GSP is far and away number one and Matt Hughes is a comfortable two. After that it gets a bit stickier. I'd go with Woodley at three. I'm tempted to put Hendricks in here, simply because for about four years he was a monster, but his time at the top was relatively limited.

GSP
Hughes
Woodley
Shields
Lawler

I never mentioned Shields, buddeh. I merely said past champs are higher on MY list, than non-champions. That’s allowed. And a disputed win in Askren’s only UFC fight over Lawler doesn’t mean he inherits Lawler’s legacy. Or Serra would be number 1.
GSP avenged both of his loses, I don't think Askren inherited Lawler's legacy, I just think Lawler being a top 5 win combined with being undefeated against good competition & a Bellator & One WW champion puts him in the top 5. Like I already said, I see nobody agrees with me and that's fine. But it's still the way I see it.

That's your opinion, I have mine. Woodley & Askren overtake K1 Shields.
Past prime Shields beat prime Woodley

giphy.gif

Past prime Shields beat prime Woodley

giphy.gif
And lost to both Ellenberger quick and fucking Lombard. Plus his win by Split Decision over Woodley was 6 years ago, I think it's safe to say WW Champ Woodley was a different fighter then the one Shields barely got a decision over.

1st and 2nd is GSP and Hughes that's a given.
3rd and 4th can safely go to Woodley and Lawler imo.
5th is a matter of opinion. Lot's of good contenders for the #5 spot. Condit, Kos, Fitch, Hendricks, Shields, Askren, off the top of my head.

Askren has one top 10 win and 1) almost died and 2) Robbie was awake when the fight was stopped.

If one controversial top 10 win in your whole career gets you top 5 over Shields or Hendricks...

giphy.webp

And lost to both Ellenberger quick and fucking Lombard. Plus his win by Split Decision over Woodley was 6 years ago, I think it's safe to say WW Champ Woodley was a different fighter then the one Shields barely got a decision over.
Shields' Dad died two weeks before the Ellenberger fight, so he should get a pass for that one. Like when he fought Woodley, Shields was past his prime when he fought Lombard.

It's always been a myth that Woodley has somehow improved since the Rory MacDonald fight because he won 6 in a row. There are just certain styles he has trouble with.

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

Shields' Dad died two weeks before the Ellenberger fight, so he should get a pass for that one. Like the Woodley fight, Shields was past his prime when he fought Lombard.

It's always been a myth that Woodley has somehow improved since the Rory MacDonald fight because he won 6 in a row. There are just certain styles he has trouble with.
So was Lombard shouldn't that make a difference? Also fine I'll give a pass for the Ellenberger fight, he still looked like shit & I thought he lost to Martin Kampmann. Plus I felt the decisions for Maia & Woodley could've just as easily went their way. Shields had exactly 1 definitive win in the UFC against Sexyama, the one against Herman was overturned, and the rest of his fights were close to the point they could go either way, or he emphatically lost.

1. Gsp
2. Hughes
3. Woodley
4. Lawler
5. Condit

Because he's been the best/champion everywhere he goes, is undefeated with several real good scalps including a top 5 all time WW he stopped in the first round recently. Shields came to the UFC didn't impress, lost to GSP convincingly, lost to Ellenberger in under a minute, barely beat Martin Kampmann, & lost to UFC Hector fucking Lombard. Sorry that's not impressive to me. I see I'm in the minority and that's fine, I respect your opinion.

Shields beat...

Maia, Woodley, Akiyama, Kampmann, Henderson, Lawler, Daley, Condit, Okami...

and you put Askren top 5 all time after a controversial win over Lawler? When did you start watching MMA? January?

Come on dude.

Surprised by the lack of Jon Fitch mentions, he had a consistent body of work through out his prime and even after. His resume ain't the best, but he has some guys there and I think he beats most welterweights baring those he lost to and a few others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back