Your Top 10 Favorite Films of 2012

skyfall was an incredible movie, so i would put that near the top

also lawless was a pleasant surprise, and 21 jump street had me laughing the entire movie (movies rarely do that for me)

i didnt really like TDKR, and the grey was just way too depressing for me to put it on my list

still need to see end of watch and dredd

Django Unchained
Lincoln
Skyfall
Moonrise Kingdom
The Raid
The Avengers
Cabin in The Woods
Argo
Looper
Killing Them Softly

no order
Dark Knight Rises
Looper
Argo
The Hobbit
Prometheus

I enjoyed these the most with Life of Pi being the best.
The rest are in no particular order.

Life of Pi
Les Mis
Prometheus
Moonrise Kingdom
Chronicle
Beasts of the Southern Wild
The Dictator

Cabin in the Woods
Skyfall
TDKR
Argo
The Grey

were the dumbest movies i saw this year.

1 - Cabin in the Woods
2 - The Intouchables
3 - Life of Pi
4 - The Raid
5 - Django Unchained (may belong higher, I was in a shitty mood when I saw it)
6 - Skyfall
7 - The Dark Knight Rises
8 - The Hobbit
9 - The Grey
10 - Moonrise Kingdom

I'm seeing lincoln tomorrow, but other than that, les miserables, and zero dark thirty, I've seen everything I'm gonna see.

as far as movies that were hyped/I had high hopes for, I didn't care for the avengers at all, and I thought silver linings playbook and argo were good but not great. overall though I thought it was a pretty good year for movies. much better than last year.

I've haven't watched that many movies last year, but based on what I have seen in 2012, my list is as follows:

1. Lawless
2. Django Unchained
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. The Avengers
5. 21 Jump Street
6. Prometheus
7. Chronicle
(that's as many movies I can think of that I would consider my favorites of last year, but to be fair, I haven't seen that many in general in 2012)

Movies I haven't seen yet that seem like worthy contenders:

-Moonrise Kingdom
-Argo
-The Master
-Zero Dark Thirty
-Looper
-Life of Pi

Movies that were huge letdowns:

1. Bourne Legacy
2. Skyfall
3. Total Recall (I didn't even have to watch it to come to this conclusion)

I'll post soon enough.

I saw 18 of this year's films.

1. DJANGO UNCHAINED
2. LIFE OF PI
3. PROMETHEUS
4. LOOPER
5. RAID: REDEMPTION
6. JOHN CARTER
7. CLOUD ATLAS
8. BRAVE
9. AVENGERS
10. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
11. ARGO
12. THE AMAZING SPIDERMAN
13. SKYFALL
14-20. 21 JUMP STREET
21-67. BEING FLYNN
68-89. THE GREY
90. JIRO DREAMS OF SUCKING
91- ∞ THE HUNGER GAMES

You motherfucker.

The only 2012 movie that I watched was Prometheus, and it wasn't very good.

some of ones mentioned seem like they were from a year or two ago. I can't remember all that i've seen, but in no order from the ones that I remember seeing..

Argo
Skyfall
TDKR
Avengers
The Raid
Prometheus

Yet to see and want to see Les Miserables, Django, Hobbit...and i'm sure i'm missing more. Oddly enough, half of the ones listed in the best that I've seen were also fairly disappointing

I've only watched 3 films made in 2012 so far. With that said:

1. Avengers. Cool movie.

2. Batman 3. Despite being a bit illogical I thought it held its own against Batman 2.

3. Dredd 3d. Watched it earlier today, and thought it was actually good. I mean the plot and acting isn't anything special, and I would have preferred more futurism, and it has a low-budget feel... but besides that it has a lot going for it, with no particular flaws. The soundtrack is great, and I love how the entire film is colour-coordinated to match the Judge uniform. Red, black and yellow rules.

I've just downloaded (Cough...) The Hobbit, and gotten around to watching 10 minutes so far. First impression is it's pretty bad, but we'll see.

Prometheus sucked. Down to casting, mainly. It's one of those horror movies where you want the actors to die.

Last edited:
Prometheus (2012) (improved with second viewing)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012) (slightly improved with second viewing)

It had the opposite effect on me. All of my complaints for TDKR and Prometheus were only magnified upon second viewing.

Prometheus sucked. Down to casting, mainly. It's one of those horror movies where you want the actors to die.

I thought the casting was fine. It was the way their characters were written and behaved that was the problem for me.

Did you see the deleted scenes of PROMETHEUS, Dragon? What Scott eventually cut out would have played much better for the mainstream crowd, especially Fifeld's sequence that would have reinforced the goo-turns-people-to-xenomorphs motif.

I didn't really have issue with the film but I realized it was choppy in places, an interpretation supported by the deleted scenes. However, I think Scott wasn't wrong to excise them (other than wasting production dollars, I suppose) because PROMETHEUS is meant to be more thoughtful than thrilling. I wouldn't have minded the roller coaster, but I didn't mind the theatrical version, either.

You motherfucker.
It's a pointless film about an implausible scenario that seems to reduce in production value as time elapses. Plus I could not care less about what happened as I was watching it. I'm trying to remember a film where I was sympathetic to a lead character who was introduced to the film as being suicidally depressed. FIGHT CLUB doesn't really count....

Did you see the deleted scenes of PROMETHEUS, Dragon? What Scott eventually cut out would have played much better for the mainstream crowd, especially Fifeld's sequence that would have reinforced the goo-turns-people-to-xenomorphs motif.

I've seen some of the deleted scenes but not the one about Fifield though.

I did a quick search and found these online:

eN6Vv.gif

GxvHb.gif

I like it. But still doesn't change the fact that my main beef with the movie is the annoying characters.

I like it. But still doesn't change the fact that my main beef with the movie is the annoying characters.
Milburn's abrupt changes in demeanor are also better depicted.

No explanation on how those pair of jokers got lost while MAPPING THE LOCATION, though....

Watch the Fifeld sequence -- it's about five/six times as long as it appears in the theatrical version.

Milburn's abrupt changes in demeanor are also better depicted.

No explanation on how those pair of jokers got lost while MAPPING THE LOCATION, though....
I keep on forgetting to post this in the Prometheus thread but I had a theory after watching it the first time at the cinema that Milburn was secretly gay or had a man-crush on Fifield.

1. Milburn immediately zeroes in on Fifield at the mess hall, sits down at his table, and introduces himself with a creepy schoolgirl-crush smile. Milburn doesn't even bother introducing himself to another crew member directly seating besides Fifield. This anonymous crew member looked to be decently dressed and civilized, all good qualities for a potential friend. But nooooo, Milburn is more drawn to the mohawked heavily-tattooed serial killer looking Fifield. Go figure. (Who in Weyland Industries screens these assholes??)

2. At the debriefing, Fifield belittles Shaw's star map and Milburn is the only one grinning like an idiot. And when Fifield puts down Shaw's Engineer theory and Milburn laughed like it's the greatest fucking joke he has ever heard in his life.

3. When Fifield has a nervous breakdown inside the alien building and asks who wants to join him back to the ship, Milburn happily says yes. But of course [with Bane voice]. Milburn, abandoning his natural scientific curiosity, hopes to get some quality time with his BFF.

Fifield >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> potentially the greatest scientific discovery of mankind ever

4. Fifield and Milburn get lost inside the alien structure. I'm pretty sure Milburn mislead them and intentionally got themselves lost so that he could spend an uninterrupted romantic evening with Fifield.

5. When Fifield freaks out at seeing the cobra alien life form, Milburn takes this opportunity to show Fifield that he is boyfriend material by petting the snake against his better judgment.

6. Before the cobra enters Milburn's mouth, if you listen really carefully, you can hear Milburn's faint death cry, "I love you, Fifield..."

Last edited:
1. The Hobbit
2. Django Unchained
3. Prometheus
4. Avengers
5. TDKR
6. The Grey
7. MIB 3
8. Spiderman
9. 21 Jump Street
10. Taken 2

I didn't see Skyfall, End of Watch, Cabin in the Woods... might have made my list if I did.

There's a bunch of key movies I haven't seen yet in 2012 (Django Unchained, Skyfall, Argo, Cloud Atlas just to name a few) but these were my personal favorites:

1: The Avengers
2: Prometheus
3: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
4: The Dark Knight Rises
5: Wreck-it Ralph
6: The Raid: Redemption
7: Looper
8: Kill List (technically was out overseas in 2011 but it didn't reach the States until 2012 so I'm counting it)
9: The Tall Man
10: John Carter

Back