Your thoughts on these 3 people (Meltzer, Bischoff, Cornette)?

Herwald

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I'd qualify myself as a quasi-wrestling fan who had never really ventured into the behind the scenes drama and shoot interviews. For the past couple of years, however, I've been consuming as much of them as possible and it's been fascinating to see the different side of what I just consumed as an entertainment product and how just 1 event will have so many different and extremely passionate interpretations from so many different people. The dichotomy of these strong egos having to work together as a team... I'm kind of hooked on all this behind the scenes shindig at the moment.

Currently, there are couple of key names I've been trying to take the temperature of, but when you go on online wrestling forums or reddit - there are too many fractions and yes men for each name. So, I figured I'd try here cause this seems like a more diverse bunch posters.

What are your thoughts on these 3 people - Dave Meltzer, Eric Bischoff and Jim Cornette? Love them or hate them? Overrated, underrated? Who's takes and perspective of the business sound most legit and reasonable to you? Has either of them been an overall detriment to pro wrestling, in your opinion?

Last edited:
They're all relics from the 90s living off their reputations.

Meltzer - bullshits and talks out of his ass a lot, which makes him perfect to cover the wrestling business

Bischoff - decent creative, good on-air talent. But like Russo, he's coasted on his late 90s success.

Cornette - amazing on-air talent, one of the best managers of all time (2nd behind Bobby the Brain imo), great politics. But criminally old fashioned, doesn't realize pro wrestling can't be exactly like it was in the early 80s. Hypocritical - accuses others of exposing the business but he does more to expose it with his podcast and shoot interviews than almost anyone

Meltzer can go fuck himself

Bischoff was a decent talent who I think both gets too much credit for WCW's success and too much blame for it sinking.

Cornette is a fantastic talent and he's right about modern wrestling more often than people are comfortable with. His politics are terrible and he's a hypocrite with a temper which is what holds him back. He works best when he's not the sole person in charge.

I like listening to all three of them.

Fuck Bischoff, marry Meltzer, kill Cornette

Meltzer, for a very long time, was the only person doing serious journalism about professional wrestling. His personal preferences regarding performance styles aside, the game seems to have passed him by. With social media and more people having an "in" with the locker rooms and producers (Ryan Satin & whoever is running WrestleVotes come to mind,) the kayfabe curtain of silence he broke a generation ago is more like a window now. Last big thing he let fans in on that they couldn't get anywhere else was the upcoming push for Roman Reigns (which he presented and phrased so terribly that it affected the guy's career and the company's trajectory for years.)

Eric Bischoff is a guy I really like to listen to. Not the least of why is because he will often cop to personal failings (particularly relating to his character and lack of experience.) Dude made some really good moves back in the day but could have used some objective balancing opinions.

Cornette, when he's not rambling on about his social/political zealotry, is right more often than wrong about pro wrestling but has no tact whatsoever in relaying that. This has oddly enough turned some of the people who would share these opinions into his greatest detractors. Disco Inferno, I would put in the same category. He is spot on about much of the ills that the commercial product is suffering from but his pathological need the get that Colby heat keeps him from being taken seriously by many.

brotherlove1063_1.png

@D.R.H.

Meltz is great as a wrestling historian, so-so as a journalist, and clearly still has some clout in the business. I think people irrationally hate him for no reason. He's also way better longform or on a podcast than he comes off on twitter.

Eazy is a good dude, albeit really bitter about how much blame he gets for WCW. Probably because he's broke, but that's neither here nor there.

Corny is another great wrestling historian, but his bitching about "the old days" is wearing really thin with me. We get it, the Midnight Express was the greatest tag team ever and big guys are good. Things change, quit bitching about it.

I don't think Cornette has a big man fetish.....he just wants wrestlers to look like athletes. Someone's been listening to Twitter too much.

Doesn't explain frumpy prime Bobby Eaton tho.

Back