Your thoughts on Bellator's inaugural PPV.

Not a win over the UFC. It also never was decided by the court. Eddie settled with Bellator so there was nothing decided by the courts. UFC didn't need Eddie, like Askren they would of liked to have him but they don't need him. Now Bellator is paying him a huge for a 1 fight contract.

How is that settlement not a win for Bellator?
Both orgs publically expressed interest in Alvarez, Bellator got to keep him. The UFC didn't give up because they didn't care, it's because they lost. They didn't lose much, but it's still a win for Bellator. We'll find out if it was worth the money.

The timing is gonna hurt them. 166 167 and Manny/Rios are around it and out of those cards Bellator is def the 4th option.

If this was on during a time where there was no boxing PPV and maybe in a month with no UFC PPV or no good UFC PPV they would be better off.
You're right, and that's a shame. It's actually a pretty good card. But those casual fans they're trying to win over using big names only have so much money to spend on PPVs.
The hardcores are the same. It's still a good card, just bad timing. Not to mention the price.
You gotta wonder how well the same card would do free on Spike.

Both orgs publically expressed interest in Alvarez, Bellator got to keep him. The UFC didn't give up because they didn't care, it's because they lost. They didn't lose much, but it's still a win for Bellator. We'll find out if it was worth the money.
Yes Bellator kept Eddie but at a price and under terms they can't really afford. If UFC thought they needed Alvarez they would have him. The only loser is Eddie because his potential earnings is significantly less. Any time Bellator has to fight to keep a fighter they lose. It's a catch 22 for them, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

2 outcomes:

1. They lose one their top fighters or champions to the UFC. UFC uses the fighter with their brand to make mutually beneficial realtionship creating intriguing matches fans want to see.

2. They keep their champion/top fighter but at a price that can't really afford to pay and not receive additional revenue from. Reducing profits by a significant amount. Making it harder for them to outbid UFC in the future. UFC doesn't lose a single ppv buy over it and continues to rake in monster revenue.

The Bellator would achieve a win is if they signed away a fighter more notably a current UFC champion UFC was actively trying to keep.

2 outcomes:
1. They lose one their top fighters or champions to the UFC. UFC uses the fighter with their brand to make mutually beneficial realtionship creating intriguing matches fans want to see.
UFC didn't really use Bellatot's brand when promoting Lombard. We haven't had many Bellator examples to be sure, but the only times UFC really seems to name a fighters past orgs is when Zuffa owns them.
Bellator could still go to the media and cry for attention. But only if the fighter is winning in the UFC. If Lombard is the example, assume Askren went the same path. There's not much for Bjon to be boasting about.

2. They keep their champion/top fighter but at a price that can't really afford to pay and not receive additional revenue from. Reducing profits by a significant amount. Making it harder for them to outbid UFC in the future. UFC doesn't lose a single ppv buy over it and continues to rake in monster revenue.

People want to watch this upcoming card, and that has a lot to do with Chandler vs Alvarez. That's additional revenue. Now yeah, they gotta pay Eddie, but the idea is Bellator should be making more money in the long run. They just have to be careful not to turn into another EliteXC.

The Bellator would achieve a win is if they signed away a fighter more notably a current UFC champion UFC was actively trying to keep.

I'm not sure I understand that part. But anyway, like you said it's a catch22 for Bellator, but in the long run, assuming they don't shoot themselves in the foot, it might work out at least to make their brand valuable enough to fetch a good price.

All around I think it's a really good card. I'm just not interested in the main event.

Honestly, I'd pay a solid $25 if I was by myself..... both for the support and because its a worthwhile card. Anything above that... that's what friends are for, duh.

Good card but in a month with two bigger PPV this is the third option. I go on for PPV with a group and we will order the UFC nad Manny cards but not this one and I'm not paying for it on my own.

This should have been on SPike. On Spike this could have done 2 million viewers. You could have given Curran and Chandler a huge spotlight in front of millions of fans by using Tito and Page's names.

How many of yas order the nad Manny cards?

Id rather watch Chandler/Alvarez and Pat Curran over 90% of fighters in the UFC, for sure.

If this was $24.99, it would be a decent deal for sure.

Personally I will not buy a PPV unless it involves a fighter who is #1 in their division. I don't mean #1 in their org I mean #1 in their division.

Ok there champ, come down off your high horse and bless your presence to us fans of MMA...

Ok there champ, come down off your high horse and bless your presence to us fans of MMA...

I won't buy a UFC unless it involves a #1 fighter which is basically a title fight. Like Rashad vs Hendo did not buy. I would even prefer a #1 vs a strong opponent preferably a top 5 and a strong undercard. With the abundance of free MMA I'm no longer willing to shell out $55 for an ok card. They put this PPV on as a sacrifice of their regular season. Taking fights that would have been free and are now making us pay for them. When an org does a PPV it should be for fights and fighters the fans are demanding to see. Nobody demanded Tito vs Rampage. They simply said we are going to make this fight and you fans will pay for it. Because its your duty as a fan. I hope the PPV bombs so they will start putting fights we care about back on TV.

Oops, need to proofread.
Anderson v Sonnen.

Personally I will not buy a PPV unless it involves a fighter who is #1 in their division. I don't mean #1 in their org I mean #1 in their division.
I'm not that selective. But as you pointed out in another post, there is a lot of mma for "free" and also HBO/Showtime boxing, the ppv card generally needs something more than those options for me to order it. Granted, nowadays I'm more likely to meet up with a couple of friends & watch it at a bar than watching it at home.

The timing is gonna hurt them. 166 167 and Manny/Rios are around it and out of those cards Bellator is def the 4th option.

If this was on during a time where there was no boxing PPV and maybe in a month with no UFC PPV or no good UFC PPV they would be better off.
That is also going to be a problem with them, a lot of ppv competition in a short time frame.

Plus on the same night HBO has a boxing match between Gennady Golokvin v Curtis Stevens. I'm already paying for HBO and there will be a few college football games, not much incentive for me to fork out more money that night. I'm sure there are plenty of others thinking the same.

After all that I do hope the ppv does well, mma needs competition to the UFC.

Probably going to be out of town that weekend which is a damn shame.

Definitly would have been buying it on PPV.

Since nobody has really been watching Belator with or without Alvarez...it's really a loss for Alvarez.

Dana called it, Bellator is hoping Eddie loses, so they no longer have to pay him.

At that point, his UFC shot is gone.

Get it now?

Eddie could have signed a multi fight contract and lost a few fights but then stay in the UFC. He would not only have been paid the same, but he would have had UFC sized attention and marketing behind him, as well as UFC sponsors. And a shot at UFC gold.

Now? Fat chance the UFC will ever sign Bellator's scraps.

Like I said, only person that loses here really is Eddie. He better hope to hell he goes on a very long win streak now...

Since nobody has really been watching Belator with or without Alvarez...it's really a loss for Alvarez.

Dana called it, Bellator is hoping Eddie loses, so they no longer have to pay him.

Hah. Just about everyone that signs a Bellator contract loses.
Bellator sorta wins.
Dana gambles away another 4 million$, not counting tips.

That's the way it's always been.

Back