your striking background

Cool. How did you kickbox in that lone match you had? Did you mix everything you knew?

Well, Jersey Long was a ridiculously talented kicker &I knew that there was no way that I could fight at a distance with him because he'd have picked me apart. So, I pressured my way inside as much as possible & made him fight my fight. I was the better puncher so I had the advantage in close.

Early on he was able to stay at range & do some damage with his feet though. And after two rounds I was behind on points. But I slowed him down with body shots in the second half of the fight & dropped him with a left hook in the final round. I figured it was too late though because we were in Kingston, Ontario so I assumed the judges would give it to the Canadian. So, when they gave me a draw I was happy as hell.

I was scheduled for my second pro kickboxing bout a few months later when I blew out my right knee in training & I had to have reconstructive surgery. They had to use titanium screws to hold it together which ended my kickboxing career. So, from that point on I just continued my boxing career.

Well, Jersey Long was a ridiculously talented kicker &I knew that there was no way that I could fight at a distance with him because he'd have picked me apart. So, I pressured my way inside as much as possible & made him fight my fight. I was the better puncher so I had the advantage in close.

Early on he was able to stay at range & do some damage with his feet though. And after two rounds I was behind on points. But I slowed him down with body shots in the second half of the fight & dropped him with a left hook in the final round. I figured it was too late though because we were in Kingston, Ontario so I assumed the judges would give it to the Canadian. So, when they gave me a draw I was happy as hell.

Well done. I guess scoring in Kickboxing is similar to professional boxing? You would have lost that fight in amateur boxing rules (which is why I don't like it).

Well done. I guess scoring in Kickboxing is similar to professional boxing? You would have lost that fight in amateur boxing rules (which is why I don't like it).

Thank you. And yes, the scoring is pretty much the same.

how are the scoring criteria different in amateur and professional boxing?

how are the scoring criteria different in amateur and professional boxing?

The knock downs don't count much. It's all about a point system. Tyson had amateur bouts knocking his opponents down twice and still lost.

The knock downs don't count much. It's all about a point system. Tyson had amateur bouts knocking his opponents down twice and still lost.
you know they’ve changed it since then to be on the same scoring system, right? Ammy boxing is on a “10 point must” system just like the pros.

you know they’ve changed it since then to be on the same scoring system, right? Ammy boxing is on a “10 point must” system just like the pros.

I did not know that. When did they do that. Is it exactly the same now?

I did not know that. When did they do that. Is it exactly the same now?
A few years ago. The governing body for amateur boxing didn’t like how the “point sparring” rule set was affecting the development of the next generation of pro boxers. The scoring rules are exactly the same now between amateur and pro, with the understanding that amateur boxing judges are volunteers which means some of them have been doing it the same way for 20 years. They do their best to change it but the older guys will still tend to give the round to the more active boxer despite his efficiency with his punches.

I’ll take a look at the judges table for my fighters bout and adjust the game plan accordingly. If they’re younger we can ‘Box’ a little more. If it looks like the balcony of the muppets we have to push the pace and throw leather.

I did kickboxing and Thai boxing for 4 years and then decided to learn grappling. But I really love striking much more. And now I do MMA, because I am not bad at both and I like to combine striking and wrestling. It is great when you are free in a fight and there are fewer limits. I can recommend you this useful MMA Reviews website. It is for real MMA fans.

Last edited:
Back