Your size vs punching power

GNPU said:
bottomline. I would rather fight or be punched by a 150 pound guy any day of the week than a 250 pound guy.

What you meant to say was: "bottom line, I would rather be punched by an untrained guy than a trained guy."

I used to hang with a lot of bouncers. I've seen guys well over 250 pounds who could bench press close to a quarter ton who couldn't knock a skinny drunk out. I've also been on the business end of punches and kicks thrown by guys not much bigger than my niece that felt like they had enough force to propel a small internal organ or two out of my nose.

Bigger guys have more potential to hit hard due to the simple fact that they have more mass and weight behind them; but trained will beat untrained any day of the week.

There's also technique as it applies to strategy; a good fighter uses what he has to his advantages. A bigger/slower fighter will try to make each shot count and land more crushing blows, a smaller/faster fighter will use speed and evasion to land a greater number of shots and bring the same pain in smaller doses.

My Karate instructor weighs probably 60 lbs less than me, and he hits hard as crap. It's all about technique. He utilizes that Bruce Lee short punch theory, and trust me, it works.

OpethDrums said:
dude its good.. let them be overconfident so you can ktfo them if you need to

well put. i know as another small guy that ive had a couple fights where people count you out becasue of your size and then you surpise the hell out of them. just let if roll off your back man and if it comes to it then you know that you can own them in a fight.

I used to love these games. When I was 16 I used to hit a machine called "sonic blast man" I loved it. I was just boxing then so I was better than most of th college football guys in ASU who thought they were bas asses. I was 5 8 175lbs at the time. I hit 150lbs per second when most of these college guys were only hitting 110 and less, it was great for my ego then lol. I would love to find this game again and see how well I can do now lol

Where can I go to test my punching power? Are there any machines out there that do this?

Chthon said:
As it has been explained to me, bigger people have more potentialto hit hard; they have more weight that they could, if trained, push into a punch.

The issue is, unless you train chances are you won't figure it out on your own. And since few people train, few people can throw a good punch. A guy who weighs 250 pounds but only arm-punches a target will simply not hit as hard as you at 150 pounds using your legs and hips. If he used his legs and hips too, he would hit harder than you, but if he doesn't know how than he simply can't.

agreed

LCDforMe said:
Royce showed that a little technique goes a long way.

(he has quite a bit of technique actually)

and that's why some people consider him a legend.

hi i'm new here, and i'd like to contribute

at the time i was around 230 lbs 5'11, around 18% bodyfat.., i had been going to the gym for some time, just to lose weight, but i got into lifting a bit
... long story short, me and this asshole i've known my whole life (the only person i truly hate lol) ( he had been training in karate for 8 years (black belt he said) and just started judo or some shit. ) we got into it, he always talk how he could kick my fat ass, and w/ the only punches i've ever thrown w/ bad intentions knocked him out cold. i was proud.

but all these small guys with the big ko punches know that you have to put your whole body into a punch, .: a bigger person can put alot more body into his punch. And everyone assumes big guys are sooo sloow, powerlifters understand that the faster your muscles, the bigger your lift, and these guys can be huge, and i don't think they are slow.

all of these stories are awesome, and it feels awesome when an arrogant ass tastes the floor, but i mean if you beat up some idiot shit talking football player, so you've beatin' a guy at fighting who hasn't been trained to fight. that's like a figure skater beating me at figure skating, sooo what.

arrogant guys who think they are more awesome than smaller guys deserve to get beat up, but there are arrogant idiots at every weight level.

the bottom line is if size wasn't an issue, then all of the 155lb mmartists in the world (who know lots and lots about striking power) would fight 205lb guys.

thaiking said:
I used to love these games. When I was 16 I used to hit a machine called "sonic blast man" I loved it. I was just boxing then so I was better than most of th college football guys in ASU who thought they were bas asses. I was 5 8 175lbs at the time. I hit 150lbs per second when most of these college guys were only hitting 110 and less, it was great for my ego then lol. I would love to find this game again and see how well I can do now lol

Where can I go to test my punching power? Are there any machines out there that do this?

Yeah I remember when this chinese dude and he was about my heght and build. about 5'4 and about 160 lbs.

He done a stance and wakced about 180 and I thought he must do martial arts and have good tech or the machine is fucked. He never used the boxing glove either

abhi said:
Yeah I remember when this chinese dude and he was about my heght and build. about 5'4 and about 160 lbs.

He done a stance and wakced about 180 and I thought he must do martial arts and have good tech or the machine is fucked. He never used the boxing glove either
F%$K 180 on sonic blast wow I don't think I could get a 180 now!!! I wish I could find one around to try it lol really I would

I am sure, Velocity of punch is a key feature. E = mass * V * V / 2
some software for PC/Windows can measure your punch speed ->
punch speed tester <-

As it has been explained to me, bigger people have more potentialto hit hard; they have more weight that they could, if trained, push into a punch.

The issue is, unless you train chances are you won't figure it out on your own. And since few people train, few people can throw a good punch. A guy who weighs 250 pounds but only arm-punches a target will simply not hit as hard as you at 150 pounds using your legs and hips. If he used his legs and hips too, he would hit harder than you, but if he doesn't know how than he simply can't.

You guys all dont know what the heck your all taking about. I know this more than anyone here.

Get a big 250 pound guy and a 150 pound guy. The big guy has to have THE SPEED X MASS to punch harder, not just the MASS.

Technique wont get you far, technique is only fcking 20% of the speed you get. You gotta do speed exercises and because someone who is big and heavier, it will be harder for him to be AS FAST.

So he has to be XXX(3) workouts compared to someone less weight doing XX(2) of workouts.

You have to get FASTER with hand speed, and get the punch less than the time it takes for him to punch. So you can punch say, 2 hits in 1/2 a second. He can only do 1 hit in 1/2 a second.

Speed is half of the punch power.

And im not talking about comparing a lightweight to a heavyweight. Because the problem with that thought of yours is that a lightweight TRAINS AND EATS different to a heavyweight.

They dont have enough calories as a heavyweight.
They dont have enough body layer by not doing many weighted core exercises and only doing core stamina exercises. They only want pure speed and stamina.
They dont do as much weightlifting as heavyweights.
They dont do much power/strength exercises and only focus on speed exercises.
They only focus on jabs and backhands most of the time and are range fighters and dont do power hits or close inside fighting.

Again pure speed is not good.

So if you still beilieve that silly motto that mass + technique = punch power

your all highly mistaken

its mass X SPEED (+100% technique) = best punch power

so say a 250 guy had perfect technique and was as strong and trained as me at 150 pounds.

If he didnt have the speed I have because I am a lesser weight than he is, my speed power makes up ALOT of his weight power.

The only way he can completely beat me is if he did more speed exercises compared to me to match up to my speed, ontop of him being equally trained at at a heavier weight,
which puts him at a disadvantage because as he does more speed exercises to get to speed, he has to sacrifice, stamina exercises, accuracy and dodge bag exercises

Even if both guys are trained, If they have done the exact same amount of speed exercises or strength exercises, the heavier guys weight is already slower because his speed is already 40% behind the lighter guys, so he is losing punch power already. However he has his weight to close the gap with that, however, speed power is > weight power.

So being heavier naturally or bigger, means you have to naturally do more SPEED EXERCISES for your hand speed than me, to match me.

Ive been doing this for 20 years and you can tell from the research when youve used thousands of boxers on gauge machines

Last edited:
Fucking necro thread. Punching machines in arcades have no mass in the bag. It is speed they measure. Not punching power. Or at least they do not measure kinetic force.

Premise of thread is flawed.

Anecdotally our club's used a arcade machine while out on the piss. It was obvious.

Technique wont get you far, technique is only fcking 20% of the speed you get.

..I stopped reading right here. What about you?

P.S. Didn't Brittney or some other UFC right girl get the highest possible score on the machine as well? She simply pushed at the right angle...which proves these machines to be inaccurate as :icon_lol:

I agree that technique is what allows you to utilise your mass most effectively. But some people hit harder naturally with out any training. I think the reason for this is they have naturally good biomechanics. My brother who is slightly smaller than me can almost hit as hard as me on those arcade punching machines despite never having trained a day in his life (I have years of boxing behind me). He just has good natural technique. I think that explains why some punchers are born not made.

Fucking necro thread. Punching machines in arcades have no mass in the bag. It is speed they measure. Not punching power. Or at least they do not measure kinetic force.

Premise of thread is flawed.

Anecdotally our club's used a arcade machine while out on the piss. It was obvious.

True they weigh a lot less than a human head so speed becomes a bigger factor in determining the resultant acceleration of the target and hence the force applied.

Yup. Also untrained people may throw faster in a wild punch as their CNS has not been trained to throw at a speed determined by glove wearing(effectively resistance training).

You guys all dont know what the heck your all taking about. I know this more than anyone here.

Get a big 250 pound guy and a 150 pound guy. The big guy has to have THE SPEED X MASS to punch harder, not just the MASS.

Technique wont get you far, technique is only fcking 20% of the speed you get. You gotta do speed exercises and because someone who is big and heavier, it will be harder for him to be AS FAST.

So he has to be XXX(3) workouts compared to someone less weight doing XX(2) of workouts.

You have to get FASTER with hand speed, and get the punch less than the time it takes for him to punch. So you can punch say, 2 hits in 1/2 a second. He can only do 1 hit in 1/2 a second.

Speed is half of the punch power.

And im not talking about comparing a lightweight to a heavyweight. Because the problem with that thought of yours is that a lightweight TRAINS AND EATS different to a heavyweight.

They dont have enough calories as a heavyweight.
They dont have enough body layer by not doing many weighted core exercises and only doing core stamina exercises. They only want pure speed and stamina.
They dont do as much weightlifting as heavyweights.
They dont do much power/strength exercises and only focus on speed exercises.
They only focus on jabs and backhands most of the time and are range fighters and dont do power hits or close inside fighting.

Again pure speed is not good.

So if you still beilieve that silly motto that mass + technique = punch power

your all highly mistaken

its mass X SPEED (+100% technique) = best punch power

so say a 250 guy had perfect technique and was as strong and trained as me at 150 pounds.

If he didnt have the speed I have because I am a lesser weight than he is, my speed power makes up ALOT of his weight power.

The only way he can completely beat me is if he did more speed exercises compared to me to match up to my speed, ontop of him being equally trained at at a heavier weight,
which puts him at a disadvantage because as he does more speed exercises to get to speed, he has to sacrifice, stamina exercises, accuracy and dodge bag exercises

Even if both guys are trained, If they have done the exact same amount of speed exercises or strength exercises, the heavier guys weight is already slower because his speed is already 40% behind the lighter guys, so he is losing punch power already. However he has his weight to close the gap with that, however, speed power is > weight power.

So being heavier naturally or bigger, means you have to naturally do more SPEED EXERCISES for your hand speed than me, to match me.

Ive been doing this for 20 years and you can tell from the research when youve used thousands of boxers on gauge machines

You're completely forgetting that a huge factor in how hard a person hits is how solid the structure and foundation behind the punch is. Two things that make that structure more solid are technique and thick bones. So assuming a smaller guy and bigger guy both have the same level of technique, the bigger guy has mass AND bone structure over the smaller guy who only has speed.

Saying technique won't get you far is really hard to argue with. That's just plain wrong. I'd love to know where you got that technique is only 20% of speed. I'd be willing to bet if you had two groups of people and had one group do only speed exercises while the other group only practiced punching technique, the technique group would improve both speed and power at a much higher rate than the speed exercise group. And for the record, when measuring punching power, speed isn't how many punches you can do in half a second. It's how fast the fist is traveling at the moment of impact. Besides, no matter how high that velocity is, it's worthless without the proper balance and alignment of the body that comes from technique.

The bigger guy doesn't need to do some ridiculous amount of speed exercises to be able to punch as hard as a smaller guy. His punches are going to have more weight and, more importantly, a more rigid structure supporting the transfer of force.

And by the way, you shouldn't need to say "I know this more than anyone here". If that was true, the knowledge contained in your post would be proof enough.

Wow. Just wow.

This died 8 years ago. Let it rest.

Back