Your Reminder That HW's and LHW's of equal skill. HW wins BIG TIME

Takes three rounds of Glover's punishment, who is supposed to have really serious power at LHW. Miocic takes him out with a couple of punches. Imagine if JDS had been in there. A sobering look at how HW's compare to everyone else.

Exactly.

Tons of hard punches, ground and pound, vs a couple of clean strikes and that's the difference between a great HW vs maldonado and a great LHW vs maldonado

Well said TS. This actually even makes Fedor's run at HW even more incredible since he was a LHW (shorter than Fabio, smaller reach as well) at 5 foot 11.5, 74 inch reach, 230 pounds, beating guys much bigger and stronger than him for years. However- i think Fabio's chin has also might have regressed as well. Guy has been in many wars in his career. Bottom line is- like i said previously, this fight should have never been booked in the first place.

Exactly.

Tons of hard punches, ground and pound, vs a couple of clean strikes and that's the difference between a great HW vs maldonado and a great LHW vs maldonado

chin cracks though. you have to take that into consideration. Maldonado wasn't even talking well after his beating by Glover.

but, hey, Stipe is big and obviously hits crazy hard!

DC or Jones would dominate Stipe but I do agree Stipe is a legit top level fighter.

Edited for clarity: I'm not saying maldonado is on the same level as Stipe in terms of skill but I think it's funny that he was able to survive 3 ROUNDS with Glover Teixeira and yet he didn't survive 2 engages with Stipe

Each beating like that decreases a fighters ability to take hits. A guy can only take so many hits.

Why would we need a reminder? Obviously the bigger fighter with equal skill has the advantage. Though Fabio isn't anywhere near as skilled as miocic. I didn't even bother watching the fight.

I thought it could be even faster, Miocic held back the first punch.

He definitely did, maybe he saw a counter coming. He fought smart and got the job done the best way possible imo. He had a lot to lose here.

Yeah p4p Stipe is better but this is a good example of why we have weight classes.

Fabio's ability to take a punch has deteriorated, if Glover put that beating on Maldonado now, he'd finish him in round 1.

Where all those people calling Stipe, "Bisping" of HW.

This is also the reason Jones doesn't belong at HW.

Well said TS. This actually even makes Fedor's run at HW even more incredible since he was a LHW (shorter than Fabio, smaller reach as well) at 5 foot 11.5, 74 inch reach, 230 pounds, beating guys much bigger and stronger than him for years. However- i think Fabio's chin has also might have regressed as well. Guy has been in many wars in his career. Bottom line is- like i said previously, this fight should have never been booked in the first place.

Of course there is one of you, Fedor gets knocked out cold by a guy that fought at middlweight but embellish that he would destroy guys smaller than him.

I do see your point though TS, there's a reason LHWs fight at LHW and it's not because they like starving themselves and being severely dehydrated.

It is known...

you'd be surprised how often I see posts claiming most of the top 10 LHW's could beat most of the 10 HW's

posts that claim the hw's advantage, if any, would be slim.

posts that imply LHW's fight at LHW because it's more challenging, or because it helps them stay in shape, or because they think they only would lose to the top 2 or 3 HW's and no one else

and these arn't random 2014 white belts saying this stuff. It's a lot of regular posters.

Couture put the idea in a lot of otherwise reasonable people's heads that it doesn't go without saying that HW's>LHW's when obviously it should unless proven otherwise

if miocic was a lhw and maldonado was a hw, miocic would still win

agree with your point though

Back