Your reaction when Poirier shrugs off Khabib’s takedowns and keeps the fight standing

McGregor has better TDD than Dustin and he had two years to prepare for that fight.

<Baelish01>

I actually like undefeated guys who become champions and are arguably the best in the division and potentially the g.o.a.t at that weight class. They only come by once a decade if that. I don't want a guy that has lost to MJ, Cub Swanson, McGregor and some other guy grabbing the title and more than likely losing it again in his next 2 fights..We see that every other year.

Fitting AV for a fitting thread:

507601.jpg

Poirier is getting absolutely mauled, and he is not even the top three best fighters Khabib has faced. It is the most worthless title event since Mighty Mouse vs Carioso at UFC 178; you know, the same card Poirier got slept by Conor in seconds, the same Conor that just got mowed over by Khabib.

That would mean:
Khabib beats him standing
Or we see khabib vs tony and connor vs Dustin for the belt

Khabib's TD accuracy is only 44%. His success with the TDs isn't because he's impossible to stop. He's successful with the TDs because of he relentless grinds on you, and then takes you down.

Poirer's 69% TDD suggests that is unlikely to happen..

stats can be misleading. early in his wec/ufc career, he was taken down frequently-

he was taken down 11 times in his first 9 wec/ufc fights, but only 3 times in his last 15 fights.

in other words, his tdd has improved.

will it be enough to stop the majority of khabib's takedowns? we shall see...

stats can be misleading. early in his wec/ufc career, he was taken down frequently-

he was taken down 11 times in his first 9 wec/ufc fights, but only 3 times in his last 15 fights.

in other words, his tdd has improved.
Max attempted 0 TDs
Alvarez went 0/3 on TDs
Gaethje attempted 0 TDs
Pettis went 1/1 on TDs

Stats can certainly be misleading... Nobody has even attempted to take Dustin down as of late.
Khabib will go 6/15 or something like he always does.

Styles makes fights, Poirier is a pretty decent wrestler, wrestled in HS, bjj black belt, ATT is a very wrestling heavy team, can be a long night for Khabib.

Max attempted 0 TDs
Alvarez went 0/3 on TDs
Gaethje attempted 0 TDs
Pettis went 1/1 on TDs

Stats can certainly be misleading... Nobody has even attempted to take Dustin down as of late.
Khabib will go 6/15 or something like he always does.

and in the 2 fights right before your cutoff, opponents were 2 of 10 in takedown attempts vs poirier (alvarez was 1 of 4, jim miller was 1 of 6).

of course stats are misleading, that was my main point when i replied to a post that said poirier's tdd was 69%, implying he had practically no chance to stuff khabib's takedowns.

of course you have to consider the opponent (was he facing a wrestler), the circumstances (was he piecing up an opponent on the feet, forcing them to spam takedowns), and of course recent history (has he shored up his takedown defense).

Like Khalabib says, anyone can stop a TD but can he stop 100? 80% or more of the fight will be on the ground, Poirier's best chance is to make him work to get him down there amd keep him down there and try to land the kill shot wheb Khabib slows down.

<45>Eddie Alvarez pinned down Dustin against the cage Khabib style and punished him

I’d be depressed tbh. Because then I’d know Conor would get the next title shot for sure. And The UFCs master plan worked. Tony gets screwed. Gaethje gets screwed. Conor walks back in to an undeserved title shot against a stylistic friendly opponent.

UFC just sucks nowadays. It really does.

So yeah, I hope Khabib wins. Then demands the fight with Tony.
I'd only bank on Poirier doing that if he won.

Back