Your reaction: The UFC decides to stop producing TUF seasons

tgray7

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Would welcome it so much. Half the talent they sign after the show washes out of the UFC pretty fast. Now most of the season winners aren't anything special and quickly get lost in the shuffle.

Surely they can come up with something better than this tired old reality TV shit for their television programing.

Every time I hear that a champion is going to film a season I want to shit a brick. The classic "year long division clog".

5LwabAI7DQrHzPqs-oEG8faFVwDNBUydO1pWp-lRgCRGWFaeGUxxkTd2j_yVX05UDHgXTW9Js-6ptSpXq7NLWrferIqZuEYt5OMvHsmGtcGNTNelMsRv7K_9DQ

Could not agree more. This TUF shit is sooooo damn played out. You know exactly what to expect with every season. The fighters are nothing but TV selected personalities who most often don't cut it once their in the UFC. They're also hard to differentiate from other fighters in previous seasons because they constantly select the same damn personalities each time... the annoying one, the loud one, the quiet one, the athletic one... but none of them actually fight worth a shit. At least in the very first season we had King of the Cage champs and others who actually had some decent experience. Sure, not all of them, but many from that season were actually tested. Not now, it's all about how much of an asshole you can be and what color your hair is.

tgray, will you please play Devil's Advocate and tell us why you think they still do TUF?

Just don't involve fighters who are in Title Contention/Champions as Coaches (ie, Melendez, Pettis).

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't notice the difference.

I'm indifferent to the show itself; never watched on a regular basis. But I agree, they should keep champs, or even serious contenders, away from it. Werdum, for example, spent a year of his mid-30s to fight a guy, albeit a legend, who was borderline top ten and had been out his prime for the better part of a decade. Seemed perplexing from a guy petitioning for a crack at the title.

It's not a reality show, it's a disguised feeder league... They can promote up and coming fighters, get them some tv exposure without the huge overhead of a PPV event. Plus there are not very many orgs left in business. Bellator is mostly B fighters and UFC cast offs. And then there are small orgs like WSOF which again are C fighters and UFC cast offs.

TUF lets them showcase unknown fighters, get them dirt cheap and determine (Via twitter and other media) if any of the fighters are generating interest.

It's actually really smart.

But wait a minute tho, lets see the Penn/Edgar season first...

Im a MMA fan and have watch since season one. Free fight every week

I'll watch the Penn/Edgar TUF.

tgray, will you please play Devil's Advocate and tell us why you think they still do TUF?

devils_advocate_500.jpg

I have no idea. IIRC the ratings have been slipping majorly in recent years. And Dana probably still has hopes that Bonnar/Griffin will happen again some day.

Not going to happen, it gets guys facetime for the general public and allows the UFC to sign the losers of it that the audience gets to know for pennies and nickels. They want cheap fighters fans know considering how many cards they have to fill

It's not a reality show, it's a disguised feeder league... They can promote up and coming fighters, get them some tv exposure without the huge overhead of a PPV event. Plus there are not very many orgs left in business. Bellator is mostly B fighters and UFC cast offs. And then there are small orgs like WSOF which again are C fighters and UFC cast offs.

TUF lets them showcase unknown fighters, get them dirt cheap and determine (Via twitter and other media) if any of the fighters are generating interest.

Thank you Sir for upping the average intelligence of this thread.

No reaction really since I don't watch it. I do hate that it clogs a division when a champion is coaching.

But at the same time, its a good format to introduce a new division or to beef up a new division like season 14.

I have no idea. IIRC the ratings have been slipping majorly in recent years. And Dana probably still has hopes that Bonnar/Griffin will happen again some day.

Why would Dana want another Bonnar/Griffin? That already saved the UFC. They're just using TUF to get into new countries.

well at least you admit it.

it's because it's the one thing that has succeeded in new markets. many things have been tried, all but 1 have failed. including in North America.

so why would they get rid of the one thing that works?

it's easy to say now "hey, it's lame" after it successfully sucked you in oh so many years ago. but they have a few dozen million other "you"s in mind now. meanwhile, to facilitate multiple markets, they need multiple TUFs. Brazil, Canada, UK, Australia, Singapore....sure American's get bored - they saw it almost 10 years ago.

you don't have to worry about it, is the good thing. you could have focused on Saturday's card and not tonight's. you can choose to do that. if you want. that's one of the beauties of the Fox deal - not only does it allow Zuffa the opportunity to have TUF Singapore, TUF Australia v UK (or whatever it was) and TUF v Canada, but they can ALSO do the Fox shows, UFN's....and yes, even a PPV a month or so.

This. I think TUF is still viable in their business strategy. I don't know about you guys, but I'm watching this season with Penn and Edgar. Its a good way to get to know fighters and root for them. And both fighters tonight looked like they could be contenders, especially Elias.

I just don't understand the dislike of TUF, if you don't like it then don't watch.

Back