Your quantifiable results of an intermediate/advanced training program

Im currently doing 5/3/1 with the boring but big template. This is comming off a 2 year layoff bascially. I am really enjoying the workload for a day. I have doen SS in teh past and it gets very boring for me and it was just too much to recover from at 40 years old. SS was great for a while, but I really like trying to hit a rep max. acorrding to my 5/3/1 app that does a 1 rep max calculation my press has gone from about 115lb to about 150lb bench from about 190lb to 241lb, squat from about 210 to 280lb bench from about 210 to 241, dead from about 320 to 405ish. These number are not exact and I have not done a 1 rep max attempt at any of the lifts partly because Im embarrased as I used to have decient 1 rep maxes. My old maxs were BP 295/DL475/press185/squat350

I also started this program the second week of Jan so Im basically done 2 cycles. Weight has gone from about 195 to 205, and that is without trying to gain really my diet is fucking garbage.

Im currently doing 5/3/1 with the boring but big template. This is comming off a 2 year layoff bascially. I am really enjoying the workload for a day. I have doen SS in teh past and it gets very boring for me and it was just too much to recover from at 40 years old. SS was great for a while, but I really like trying to hit a rep max. acorrding to my 5/3/1 app that does a 1 rep max calculation my press has gone from about 115lb to about 150lb bench from about 190lb to 241lb, squat from about 210 to 280lb bench from about 210 to 241, dead from about 320 to 405ish. These number are not exact and I have not done a 1 rep max attempt at any of the lifts partly because Im embarrased as I used to have decient 1 rep maxes. My old maxs were BP 295/DL475/press185/squat350

I also started this program the second week of Jan so Im basically done 2 cycles. Weight has gone from about 195 to 205, and that is without trying to gain really my diet is fucking garbage.

how did you program your 5/3/1 to increase weights so quickly in that amount of time? Even cutting out the deload week that would be a 10lb increase ~3weeks.

how did you program your 5/3/1 to increase weights so quickly in that amount of time? Even cutting out the deload week that would be a 10lb increase ~3weeks.

I knew my strength would come back fast, so after the first cycle I used my approx as the new starting point, I did this twice I believe. The app I use calculates your 1rep max based on your "work set" for the day. I didnt want to start out too heavy due to recovery concerns, Im 40.

Now Im at comfortable weights that I cant just blast 12-15 reps on my work set. Im still a couple of cycle away from approachign my old 1 rep maxes, but Im not dreading the workout, a couple of times I have just done the work set and said fuck it.

Not a big fan of 5/3/1. I worked with Josh Bryant for a short period of time, and his high volume/high intensity programming works. I think I added around 45 lbs to my meet total using his program.

*repertoire

If I can recall correctly, I went from squatting 135 to 335ish 1RM, benching 95 to 245, and deadlifting 225 to 365 on a 5 x 5 program before I moved up to Madcow's 5 x 5. And I was training BJJ 4-5 days a week at the time. I was 18.

I can't remember which version of 5 x 5 program I was on as a beginner. It wasn't Starting Strength, Stronglift, or, god forbid, Ice Cream Fitness. I think it was Bill Starr's version.

This is where I am now, doing the 5x5 trying to get past 235# on bench, I've seen improvements in every other area (Dealift, Squat, Row, Press) but Bench is the one that is still stagnant. Hell even my plyo push-ups are better. However i only do MMA 3-4 days a week and lift 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back