Your opinions on UFC match making & the legitamacy of Joe Silva?

Earthworm Jim

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's true that the UFC have had dodgy match ups made over their years & I would just like to get your opinions on the legitimacy of Joe Silva's supposed legendary match making skills...

Here's some examples from the top of my head:

Brock Lesnar - lost 1st fight in UFC, won 2nd fight via UD then gets immediate title shot vs old man Randy
*Reason* - Brock is a big name WWE TV star cash cow which means lots & lots & lots of money for Dana & co, cha ching!

Ryan Couture - Son of the legendary Randy Couture, 1st fight in UFC (coming in with a 6-1 record) against a dangerous veteran in Ross Pearson (14-6 at the time) which was a complete BS mis-matchup
*Reason* - They never wanted Ryan to grow in the UFC & not having his dad to corner him that fight says allot about their treatment of legends & obvious deceitful tactics

Soa Palelei - 1st stint back in UFC 79 2007 was unsuccessful, however since his return in 2013 has been on a can crushing crusade, going 3-0 with yet another no-name upcoming opponent, meh!
*Reason* - Why the hell are they treating him so royally? Are the UFC trying to build up the next hype machine @ HW to gain interest?

Based on these examples, what does this say (or doesn't say) about Joe Silva?
In fact, how much input/power/control does Joe honestly really have when it comes to match making & making fights happen?

Who else can come up & list some dodgy match ups that have occurred over the years in the UFC?
Who would like to share their opinions on how fight match-ups 'really' work for the company?

I thought we already did this.

You don't understand matchmaking. So probably best not to talk about it.

I'm still shaking my head at having to see Big Nog/HH 5 in the octagon....

Out of everyone he is the most disposable dude.

He is like the V Stiviano of the UFC

Idk there hasn't been a big fight in a while. And please nobody give me crap about Pettis vs Henderson or something else like that being a big fight. A big fight is Gus vs Jones or Weidman vs Silva

I thought we already did this.

You don't understand matchmaking. So probably best not to talk about it.

Clearly I don't, otherwise I would not have made this thread & being the young poster I am, would honestly value feedback from a black belt keyboard warrior such as yourself.

UFC matchmaking is based on PPV sales.

No one here understands the ins and outs of what it takes to put on however many shows they do a year.

Match making isn't as simple as saying "Hey I know! These two guys should fight"

Im sure Dana decides the main events, with Joe's "approval".

Beautiful consistent goatee, year in and year out.

No one here understands the ins and outs of what it takes to put on however many shows they do a year.

Match making isn't as simple as saying "Hey I know! These two guys should fight"

This is true even before one adds in injuries and the need for last minute replacements.

I don't care how many shows they put on a year, that's not my question.
My question is regarding obvious BS match ups
& with a post count like yours, I honestly expected a better reply

99% of the people in his position would've ripped their hair out and set themselves on fire within a half a year.

sherdog posters could do a better job of matchmaking for the ufc than joe silva on his best day.

sherdog posters could do a better job of matchmaking for the ufc than joe silva on his best day.

But could they manage the schedule? That's the real question...

Back