Your opinions of the Gracie family - love or hate?

thank the gracies for bringing back submissions into american wrestling we lost the skill of catch and now its back they didnt create a new form of jujitsu they just made it popular in the usa again . remember kimura won his match vs helio gracie breaking his arm in three spots and thats why its named after him that move .the japenese taught gracie jujitsu,name me any gracie fighters who are current mma world champions in any organization?

i respect them alot because they are the only reason that bjj has gone this far in america but i dont like them as fighters. they are stubborn and over confident except for renzo he is my favorite.

I think alot of people view them as people that are larger than life. I like a few gracies but i dont like others. Im not really a fan of Royce and if the steroid allegation is true than thats very sad. I do have alot of respect for Renzo, rickson and other gracies. I also do respect royce for basically making bjj mainstream, it is an art which I love and wouldnt be possible without the gracie family.

ive never met any of them, but i think you have to respect the the fact that they did promote bjj here in the united states, and thats enough for me to respect the familia

My only complaint would be them being a bit "money minded". You cant even really bitch about that because they have to make a living and you are getting a quality product for your money if you're learning from a Gracie.

i train with neiman, one of the up and coming members of the gracie clan. if all of them are 1/2 as dedicated to jiu jitsu as he is its easy to see why their called the first family of grappling.

i gonna have to go w/ love

if it wasnt for that family, we wouldnt have this forum, let alone mma as we know it.

Probably right. They deffinately made it more popular, but there would still be MMA without the Gracies. Japanese Shooto predates the UFC by like 8 years. It's the first legitamite MMA fighting org in the world. If I'm not mistaken. Pancrase is also, just as old as the UFC.

thank the gracies for bringing back submissions into american wrestling we lost the skill of catch and now its back they didnt create a new form of jujitsu they just made it popular in the usa again . remember kimura won his match vs helio gracie breaking his arm in three spots and thats why its named after him that move .the japenese taught gracie jujitsu,name me any gracie fighters who are current mma world champions in any organization?

There is a difference between catch and BJJ. Your discrediting yourself by saying otherwise.
I personally love the Gracies. They are responsible for refining my favorite hobby and introducing it to my country. There are a few who are money hungry(royce.....) but for the most part they are respectable.

I'm a Gracie Jiu Jitsu student I love the Gracies I respect them a lot (although I have lost a lot of respect for Royce since he tested positive for steroids)

I love the Renzo interview on the Pride Decade DVD, so humble "we cna have a reamtach and he can break my other arm" (in regards to Sakuraba)

still alotta hype, I lvoe reading the stories about Rickson but I want to know for sure, he shouldn't have retiredso soon!

Oh and the gracie challenges, the Yoshidas, Nastulas nad Karos in this world would have done the same

Oh and the gracie challenges, the Yoshidas, Nastulas nad Karos in this world would have done the same

Thats the main thing about the Gracies I dont like. You could have made those same videos 15-20 years ago with Olympic Judoka, or Wrestlers, or Shootfighters, and had the same results. I especially have a beef with Rickson, who claims anyone who uses any joint lock or chokehold in a grappling match learned it from Gracie JJ.

I am a fan of a few and don't like others but most are 50/50.

But i thank them for the creation of BJJ.

All Love. the family eats and breaths BJJ. I think its amazing

Much love! I train at one of Ralph's acadamies, and met Ryan once when I was a whitebelt. I didn't know who he was at the time until I watched a few youtube fights, and I was like ohhhh its that guy.

i respect them for what they can do.

i do not like what they turned the arts into.

These days they just look weak. There time has passed.

Tons of love and respect for the Gracie family.

the gracie family is like 300 deep so i can't comment on them as a whole. There are some good graice and there are asshole gracies like every large family in the world. I do know this, the gracies put their asses in line all the time. Carlos did it, Helio did it, and their brothers did it, sort of like Mas. There are judokas who diss the gracie family but i ask them : " how many times did kano put his ass on the line?"

Back