Your opinion on Audiobooks?

Michael13

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm a lazy person, let's get that out of the way. I used to love reading when I was younger but as I've gotten older it's begun to feel like a chore and I tend to put the book down after a few chapters and never return to it again.

Audiobooks have really lit my fire again when it comes to consuming stories. I'll even listen to Wikipedia articles rather than read them now because i'm much more likely to finish them.

Do you think it's lazy and it's better to read or do you welcome audiobooks?

Wait - you can listen to entire wikipedia pages?

I don't hate them...but it doesnt feel like "reading" to me
I can only really enjoy novels for the most part.
Other stuff, i need to read and see the words to take in the information best.

I'm currently listening to an audio book about out of control daughters.

sexy-girl-fails-animated.gif

I hate them. I can't stand listening to extended speech unless it's a conversation, or I can physically see the speaker.
Wait - you can listen to entire wikipedia pages?
I've never tried it, but I remember reading that Google's Text-to-Speech could be used for this with Wikipedia. It works for any of the major text-based eBook formats, too (not PDF).

Hate them

Takes away a lot of the imagination and experience you get when reading a book

They're awesome at work but it's not reading though, Mr. Rogan. Stop trying to sound smart when the simplest of words had you Jamie checking for the meaning.

They're awesome at work but it's not reading though, Mr. Rogan. Stop trying to sound smart when the simplest of words had you Jamie checking for the meaning.
Missed that one.

What word was this?

Missed that one.

What word was this?
Forgot. There's one I think with Macaulay. And it's not even scientific words, just normal words used in normal conversations. I'd give him a pass for gerrymandering as Callen always wanted to sound smart.

I dont really like to listen to a book rather then read it at all.

When it comes to stuff like Dan Carlin's hardcore history,because its like he is narrating a history book in a entertaining way,thats fine. But a book is telling a story,and that story is meant to be read,not to hear someone speak it. It will lose something,and im not about to bother with that.

Also i love to read,as should any sane person.

Good when driving or walking or just out and about.

Not so good when just sitting in the house. Am I really too lazy too read?

Not quite the same experience as reading, but a great way to smash out content while you commute or exercise or whatever.

They're hard to concentrate on, I find my mind wonders after a while and then all of a sudden I've missed key points and it's all gone to shit

Plus the narrator makes a huge difference, a boring monotone narrator can kill the best book

I did try to get into them but I find actually reading to be superior

They were great when I had an hour and half commute to work every day. Helped pass the time when Sirius bored me.

Im a fan i drive a lot with work (attending remote mine sites) and audio books help break up the boring drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back