Your most shocking UFC moment

For me it has to be Crocop vs. Gonzaga
there was plenty of hype for Mirko going into the fight, about how he was felling heavyweights at pride with his kicks.
Then, a juijitsu black belt gave him his own medicine,.

Unless you're part of the open minded contingent of MMA fans who believed Anderson was going to get KTFO.

Yeah, based on him having KO'd who?

Munoz?

And based on Anderson having been KTFO'd previously by who?

A KO was a long shot prediction for any "open minded" MMA fan.

It was unfortunate that Silva didn't take him seriously and decided to go full hetard.

The beating Jones put on shogun is up there for me. I figured Jones was going to win, but I did not expect such a one sided ass kicking which culminated in a tap to strikes.

Ken shamrock walking out for the second Tito fight. I got goose bumps.

Silva vs weidman I and II(shocked silent)
Silva vs Sonnen I (shocked screaming)

when werdum triangled fedor
when showtime ninja fence kicked bendo
when weidman KO'd anderson, and when anderson breaks his leg
when toby imada reversed triangle chocked mejivar
round 3 from Gilbert and Diego
Jones vs. Gustafsson

Machida/Shogun 1 decision... I honestly watched that fight over ten times and heard several explanations on why the judges could have given those rounds to Lyoto, and I still don't see how.

Chuck losing to Rashad. Pretty much everyone and their grandmother believed that if you were a wrestler and you were fighting Chuck, you would be in for a rough night... Never thought in a thousand years that the fight would have ended the way it did.

Mir tapping Nog, Liddell Ko'd by Rashad and silva getting KO'd...

Watching my hero get murdered and seeing gonzaga walk like a animal screaming at the camera!

Silva vs Weidman is the obvious choice. But I'd say Barry vs Kongo was also a huge shock, no way did I see Kongo recovering to win like he did.

Gotta say, Crocop vs Gonzaga messed me up. I talked a ton of shit to my non MMA friends how lethal Crocop was and you know what happened.
A close second was Fedor Werdum.
And I have to throw in Chuck vs Rampage 1 in Pride..

Unless you're part of the open minded contingent of MMA fans who believed Anderson was going to get KTFO.

I like to think of myself as an open minded MMA fan, but I did not think that outcome was very likely. Weidman winning was far from improbable, but in that fashion, I was pretty shocked.

I'm surprised so many people were so shocked that Mir broke Nogs arm. Yes, it was unexpected but Mir has submitted super jiu-jitsu guys before. The guy arm-bared Roberto Traven almost instantly and Traven is a multiple time Brazilian jiu-jitsu champion. Mir's jiu-jitsu is fucking awesome! Personally, I'd think Mir's TKO stoppage was more of a shock but that's just me.

Antonio Rodrigo Nougeria beating Bob Sapp (Pride Shockwave)....That's right i said it. During the fight Big Nog was literally torpedoed on his head from the air by a man who outweighed him by 130 pounds and was literally getting beaten with hammer fists and getting manhandled for 2 rounds. That is until Sapp gassed and Nougeria arm barred him. Any normal MMA fighter would have been TKO'd or KO's in the first.

Rickson Gracie beating Masakatsu Funaki (Colosseum 2000) Funaki was a 2 time King of Pancrase and his record was 38-10 and was widely known in MMA circles as one of the world's best shoot wrestlers and grapplers in the world. Guy Metzger and Josh Barnett call him the best Pancrase fighter ever. Even thou Gracie came in as also known for being the best in Jiu Jitsu no one really saw him beat a top fighter and even questioned if he was was the myth was real. I had Funaki winning by TKO....Gracie won by rear naked choke, up til that time Funaki was only submitted 5 times in almost 40 fights.

Ryo Chonan beating Anderson Silva (Pride Shockwave 2004).....The match was supposed to be lopsided, However Chonan was actually winning by points but was getting hit good during round 3...when out of nowhere after getting separation enough to do a flying heel hook where in which Silva tapped. The shocking move even left Josh Barnett stunned as well as Bas Rutten who was announcing it. To this day it's still called one of the single greatest finishes in all of MMA. I still can't believe it.

Royce Gracie beating Dan Severn (UFC 4) ...Royce was outweighed in this fight by well over 90 pounds. Even thou Gracie was the winner of UFC 1 and 2 this was Gracie's biggest test. Dan Sevren was an accomplished wrestler who won just beat his previous two opponents in rather quick fashion by submissions. Severn had every advantage it seemed. For the better part of 13 minutes Gracie was on his back and seemingly unable to do much of anything as Seven was using brute strength and i gave Gracie absolutely no shot at winning against such a larger opponent. That is until out of nowhere it seemed a arm triangle formed and made Severn tap in the 15th minute, to everyone's complete shock. It was this fight that was the single most important message to the world about mixed martial arts, that the days of the larger school yard bully was over. That a smaller and even weaker opponent can win if using Jiu-Jitsu properly.

Back