Your guard passing philosophy

I don't really have a philosophy for passing the guard, I just try to pass or create a scramble. I tried to pass a gracie's guard yesterday and I failed. He had a good grip on my right arm (this was in open guard) and as I tried to break the arm free and posture he did some kind of scissor sweep that put me on my ass but I quickly go to my knees to get back to base but the next thing I knew my feet were in the air and being mounted. Twenty seconds later I got cross chocked. :D

Your philosophy to passing guard is to avoid passing guard?

Umm, if a person's leg is in danger of being broken or they tap to a leglock, then their guard is pretty much broken or the match/fight is over. So at that point, the guard is technically broken, but even if it isn't, what does it matter if you win?

Let them try to triangle then throw the legs to the side! :icon_chee

I always find myself doing this. Im getting bored of it though, its starting not to work as much these days. I need a new set of tactics.

break or get loose, start to move around, V-pass off their reguard. Their reguard is my pass. That's my current philosophy.

I have a similar philosophy. I usually break guard by standing or from the knees then I focus on hip control sometimes I work to get the knee in if he is really squirrely. I believe once it is open hip control is key. I don't particularly focus on a specific technique or sequence when is guard is broken.

Umm, if a person's leg is in danger of being broken or they tap to a leglock, then their guard is pretty much broken or the match/fight is over. So at that point, the guard is technically broken, but even if it isn't, what does it matter if you win?

this is a guard passing thread not a guard breaking thread which is done from inside closed guard, when someone has you in open guard it means there guard is broken, either you did it or they went to open by choice and you leglock people from their open guard

it is not a pass or a guard break, passing means you go around, through, cartwheel over, or even go under their legs like that crazy pass to the back gerbil showed not too long ago, whatever you do your object is to get around their legs or "guard"

let me know and ill draw u a picture if need be :icon_chee

this is a guard passing thread not a guard breaking thread which is done from inside closed guard, when someone has you in open guard it means there guard is broken, either you did it or they went to open by choice and you leglock people from their open guard

it is not a pass or a guard break, passing means you go around, through, cartwheel over, or even go under their legs like that crazy pass to the back gerbil showed not too long ago, whatever you do your object is to get around their legs or "guard"

let me know and ill draw u a picture if need be :icon_chee

What I said still applies. Why go around someone's legs if you can just break them and end it there instead? Less work.

Basically. Why pass up the sub for points? It's like giving up a pin to score points on takedowns.

wait till u run into a guy with some leglock skill and u'll wish you practiced guard passes

shinya_aoki_skirt.jpg

i mean you are right but isnt jiu jitsu about putting yourself in the best and safest position possible? think if u were in a life or death fight, wouldnt u rather get to mount or side control before u play with each others ankles and u guys just end up heeling each other in the head?!

also u dont want to be a 1 trick pony, if ur in my guard and i know u r a leg locker, it's gonna be really hard for you to set up leglocks, use passing to set it up, if the guy is using a seated guard its gonna be hard to leglock, r u just gonna wait for them to lie on their back and stick their legs up in the air, leglocks are something you take when given, kinda hard to force unless u just straight up bully the guy but that wont work for everyone

Last edited:
Basically. Why pass up the sub for points? It's like giving up a pin to score points on takedowns.

with this philosophy u may as well flying armbar everyone, why take them down when the sub is staring right at your face?

wait till u run into a guy with some leglock skill and u'll wish you practiced guard passes

shinya_aoki_skirt.jpg

i mean you are right but isnt jiu jitsu about putting yourself in the best and safest position possible? think if u were in a life or death fight, wouldnt u rather get to mount or side control before u play with each others ankles and u guys just end up heeling each other in the head?!

also u dont want to be a 1 trick pony, if ur in my guard and i know u r a leg locker, it's gonna be really hard for you to set up leglocks, use passing to set it up, if the guy is using a seated guard its gonna be hard to leglock, r u just gonna wait for them to lie on their back and stick their legs up in the air, leglocks are something you take when given, kinda hard to force unless u just straight up bully the guy but that wont work for everyone

Dude, if can break someones ankle and end the fight, why would I go to side control or mount where he can bite me? Also if I'm in guard, why don't I get my posture stand up and wail on his groin? Hell in a street fight, why would I not be the GnP from the guard?

TMA and pure sport guys need to,please break out of the rules and realize there are a lot of nice and nasty things you can do.

Sport fighting makes better fighters, but let's not forget the aim of martial arts is to sufficiently disable an aggressive attacker or maim or kill someone in the most efficient way possible. Rules don't let you do that, it cleans it up so people can continue playing the sport. Granted MMA/BJJ is ALIVE and they train with ALIVENESS, rules constrain the mindset! I can sufficiently disable some groundfighters guard by stand up and pounding there groin.

I admit ur finish quickly point is valid but u gotta resort to passing sometime, u won't leglock everyone, being able to adapt and flowin with the go is what bjj is all about

Leglock is a 5050 position because u urself can get leglocked while attacking where u r in a low risk high percentage sub once u pass

Last edited:
I admit ur finish quickly point is valid but u gotta resort to passing sometime, u won't leglock everyone, being able to adapt and flowin with the go is what bjj is all about

Leglock is a 5050 position because u urself can get leglocked while attacking where u r in a low risk high percentage sub once u pass

So if I have to pas guard I will inflict pain double under w/elbow in artery. In a street fight I will just stand and pound the groin.

Also, setting up leg locks the right way will not leave you open to locks yourself. 50/50 guard is the worst way to set it up.

TS, I like the idea of going into a match with at least three options for a situation, and the video was great. What would you suggest for a no-gi situation? It looks like that strategy relies heavily on securing sleeve and pants grips?

Dude, if can break someones ankle and end the fight, why would I go to side control or mount where he can bite me? Also if I'm in guard, why don't I get my posture stand up and wail on his groin? Hell in a street fight, why would I not be the GnP from the guard?

TMA and pure sport guys need to,please break out of the rules and realize there are a lot of nice and nasty things you can do.

Sport fighting makes better fighters, but let's not forget the aim of martial arts is to sufficiently disable an aggressive attacker or maim or kill someone in the most efficient way possible. Rules don't let you do that, it cleans it up so people can continue playing the sport. Granted MMA/BJJ is ALIVE and they train with ALIVENESS, rules constrain the mindset! I can sufficiently disable some groundfighters guard by stand up and pounding there groin.

I agree. I do BJJ because of the nasty chokes/locks/subs and as a martial art, not so much as a sport.

So if I have to pas guard I will inflict pain double under w/elbow in artery. In a street fight I will just stand and pound the groin.

Also, setting up leg locks the right way will not leave you open to locks yourself. 50/50 guard is the worst way to set it up.

when i said 5050 i didnt mean the guard i meant the percentage and everything done the right way will keep u safe but nothing goes as planned thats why u aim for the high percentage stuff and that stuff lies passed the guard

and what the hell r u talkin about with elbows and ull just punch a guys groin rather than pass guard?! do u train?

anyone u try and punch in the groin will just boot u in the face so im having a hard time picturing what ur talkin about

edit: r u saying ud just sit in a guys guard and post your elbow onto his neck and expect a guy that trains bjj to get finished?

when i said 5050 i didnt mean the guard i meant the percentage and everything done the right way will keep u safe but nothing goes as planned thats why u aim for the high percentage stuff and that stuff lies passed the guard

and what the hell r u talkin about with elbows and ull just punch a guys groin rather than pass guard?! do u train?

anyone u try and punch in the groin will just boot u in the face so im having a hard time picturing what ur talkin about

edit: r u saying ud just sit in a guys guard and post your elbow onto his neck and expect a guy that trains bjj to get finished?

Grabbing the balls and punching the balls are two different things.

All it takes is one strong, good punch to the groin, to do damage. That would probably break anyone's guard too. Once that guard breaks the guy would be in so much pain, he'd just get mounted and the GNP would continue.

Back