Your guard passing philosophy

Was it just me or did Roger look like he was grappling against a 13 yr old in the first clip. My god he was twice that guys size.

I'm a knee slice guy myself, but have been working on adding a lot more slow pressure to my passing game. That stepping out and smashing back is something I've been trying but haven't really put together- thanks for that.

Great video, TrumpetDan-- it was organized and narrated really well, really creatively.

I've started immediately standing up in the guard, with a belt grip and a cross sleeve grip, and once the guard opens, I try a lot of knee passes. Sometimes, I forget to put my hips out and get that arched-back posture-- leads to me getting swept.

hey trumpet, how does roger usually get his feet out when he try to slide into full mount from opponent halfguard? Normally when u do that ur feet is trapped. And unless the opponent open the thigh and try to oppa usually it's quite bothersome to get the feet out esp with that kind of large feet like roger/tall guy.

I agree with a lot of stuff said here but I generally think putting yourself in their half guard is a bad idea. Peoples half guards have become too good these days with more sweeping opportunities than closed guard. You can see how many matches are being won with just 2 point sweeps from half guard.

I used to pass like a wrestler, trying to pin the leg and just push the knee down and hip up and over like Hughes does in MMA. However, with more and more gi work, I've changed my style to more pressure-based.

If I'm at a distance (standing) I'll go for the following

bullfighter
switch (one hand on the back of the collar then cross-grip the same-side pant to "ole" them and get my front knee to their hip)
cartwheel (rare)

Closed Guard
Saulo guard break
cross sleeve - standup to knee through
pin arm behind their back pass (very rare)

If I'm on my knees down and working through open guard, I'm now working a lot of basics. I'm a big guy, so this is very tailored to my body type. I am working a lot with reaching under one leg to control the hip pant and driving the opposite leg downward with the pant control on that leg -- around the knee or lower -- . I would say my main pass is the knee-slide still and it's been my baby for years. However, I have been working the (same side) knee through pass ( you do this around 1:02) where you control/pin their bottom leg with your outside hand and use the underhook to reach for the stack-pass collar grip. So, you can alternate between the knee through hip switch and the stack pass. It's a good system, and you can eventually force them to commit to something if you don't overextend and give up the scissor sweep.

I don't have a passing mentor... but the guy who just came to our school... will probably be the one.

07 or 09? I prefer 09 as it is the only time as a black belt that Roger has been caught with a leg lasso spider guard in competition. Its cool to see his reaction. Usually he avoids this position VERY well, but Romulo was tricksy and knew his closed guard would be opened. He set up the position well in advance by controlling both Rogers sleeves and setting up the next position. Its hard to cross your opponents legs off the guard break (roger is the worlds best at this imo) when you are controlling both sleeves. You see a similar idea tried on Roger in 2007 worlds by Cavaca with some pretty good success. The Cavaca match was key in understanding rogers priority system of passing as you see his backup plan of driving to the half guard. He ends up getting half swept back to the feet from the 93 guard. Good stuff.

the one from 2009

I do Marcelos approach...

1. Kick Back (X pass) to knee on belly
If your opp crosses his feet behind yours so u cant kick your leg back

2. Knee slice pass
If while going for the knee slice pass he reaches under your other leg

3 Baseball slide pass to the opposite side

I don't have a philosophy per se, I just have primaries and secondaries that I audible to if the first ones fail.

Primaries are Margarida and Stack Pass

Secondaries are Conventional Knee-Through and Wrestler Pass (the one where you hug the legs)

Before I got injured I was really liking standing passes. I was haveing success standing to set up Margaridas or Stacks. Margarida from standing, in my very humble and possibly ignorant blue belt opinion, comes off way cleaner than the conventional ground version. I can use gravity and build a bit of momentum to really smash my knee through, cut the corner, and consolidate side mount.

I think my passing philosophy is to make my opponent as uncomfortable as possible while staying as comfortable as I can be. I also think it's important to be able to use your passes well to both sides

break or get loose, start to move around, V-pass off their reguard. Their reguard is my pass. That's my current philosophy.

I don't have a philosophy per se, I just have primaries and secondaries that I audible to if the first ones fail.

Primaries are Margarida and Stack Pass

Secondaries are Conventional Knee-Through and Wrestler Pass (the one where you hug the legs)

Before I got injured I was really liking standing passes. I was haveing success standing to set up Margaridas or Stacks. Margarida from standing, in my very humble and possibly ignorant blue belt opinion, comes off way cleaner than the conventional ground version. I can use gravity and build a bit of momentum to really smash my knee through, cut the corner, and consolidate side mount.

how did you get hurt? were you able to continue training? (just saw the sig)

Leao Teixeira(6th degree BB) did a seminar at my academy once and something he said stuck with me more than any of the techniques he showed. He said "There are three lines on your opponent which you must control; the line of his knees, the line of his hips, and the line of his shoulders."

When passing the guard I always think of this and try to first get past the knees, then pin and get past the hips, and finally, control the shoulders once passed the hips. I think this is also important when defending the guard. Your opponent can't get to your hips until he gets passed your knees, and if he is working on your knees, your hips are free to move.

hey trumpet, how does roger usually get his feet out when he try to slide into full mount from opponent halfguard? Normally when u do that ur feet is trapped. And unless the opponent open the thigh and try to oppa usually it's quite bothersome to get the feet out esp with that kind of large feet like roger/tall guy.

Im guessing your referring to what I called the quarter guard?

in general...extreme shoulder pressure, picking up the arm (or having the head underneath it), other knee in the high mounted position, patience and walking like a clock(though this is incidental due to the pressure)

Roger is pretty easy to study because he does nearly the same thing every match and most of his matches end up in the half guard...and most of his half guard matches end in the quarter guard unless the opponent gives mount first.

As I said in the video, rogers preferred position is with his head under the armpit and walking his head as high north on his opponent as possible. This helps greatly when passing quarter guard. Youll see people do silly last ditch things because they know they are virtually mounted this helps you free your leg. If he feels comfortable you will also see him pretend it is the mounted position if it is just his heel remaining in the quarter guard.

Ill cover all this in a later video.

how did you get hurt? were you able to continue training? (just saw the sig)

Recurring herniated lumbar disc issues. This time it happened at BJJ while I was attempting a knee bar. I had to get surgery this time, which is why my return to BJJ is a maybe at best. Thanks for asking though, hopefully I'll be back.

This is something that ties into some of the stuff in OP's video. Martin recently got his BB. Seems like a fantastic instructor.

Passing from the knees- Extremely close/ tight painful pressure. The kinda pass where you don't even want them in your guard anymore. But I looove the DLR guard pass (Hacienda [sp] I believe).. I play with that one a lot, and do cool stuff with it.

Passing from standing- I work weird angles when I'm standing for the pass. I like to let people setup DLR, RDLR, and other HG's on me whcih I use to set up my passes.

Sometimes when I can get away with it, I do fancy passes. Cartwheel, 180 jumps, etc.

It just depends really.

Kill the hips and don't allow them to have any kind of offensive guard. If you allow them to put you in any guard you are running a risk. Don't put yourself in DLR, half guard etc because you pass well from there. You are putting yourself in an unnecessary risk even if you are generally good at getting past a certain guard.

Roger always seems to negate their guards and not allow them to play their guard in the first place by pinning their hips.

Thanks dude for the long reply, appreciate it. Kind of understand what u meant, will wait for your next video!

cheers

Im guessing your referring to what I called the quarter guard?

in general...extreme shoulder pressure, picking up the arm (or having the head underneath it), other knee in the high mounted position, patience and walking like a clock(though this is incidental due to the pressure)

Roger is pretty easy to study because he does nearly the same thing every match and most of his matches end up in the half guard...and most of his half guard matches end in the quarter guard unless the opponent gives mount first.

As I said in the video, rogers preferred position is with his head under the armpit and walking his head as high north on his opponent as possible. This helps greatly when passing quarter guard. Youll see people do silly last ditch things because they know they are virtually mounted this helps you free your leg. If he feels comfortable you will also see him pretend it is the mounted position if it is just his heel remaining in the quarter guard.

Ill cover all this in a later video.

I'm not a good passer and I am a white belt. Be warned that I'm talking out of my ass.

What I do try from closed guard is to try to kill his hip movement so the guy can't put any big offensive moves on me, and try to avoid being attacked by not letting him get a good grip on my arm or do a gi choke. I try to put a headlock on the guy, to pressure him into doing something stupid to avoid the pressure, and also to help myself "squeeze" through his legs slowly but steadily, avoiding any offense from him.

What *sometimes* works for me, especially when the guy has a tight closed guard and threatens me a lot, is to threaten with the amassa-p

Back