Your guard passing philosophy

TrumpetDan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Teaching and filming filming my youtube instructonal series has challenged me to breakdown, explain, justify and try to feed step by step on how to approach my current understanding of jiu jitsu. I made a syllabus of my passing guard approach and the first lesson is to articulate what I feel is the best guard passing philosophy.

There are as many guard passing philosophies as their are instructors (only a slight exaggeration there :icon_twis).

What is your guard passing philosophy and why have you chosen it? Do you model it after a highly skilled jiu jitsu guard passer? Just listen to your coach/professor only or do you allow a wide range of influences? Did you adapt your style to your weight and body type?

Also im interested in how much you consider the end objective of your passing style. IE: do you consider what position you will end up in when choosing to master a specific pass?

Here is my approach.

oh...and thank you all for keeping me off the best worst youtube instructionals thread :D

More or less the same, except maybe for the first option. I do use a leg-hug pass, though, but I set it up either from half or butterfly. I also use the over/under pass and, occasionally, force an 'outside' half guard (aka. 'dope mount').

dude, get out of my brain.

As soon as i read your post i was hoping for crushing roger type passing.

good vid, but I was hoping to see roger vs romulo on it. That is my favorite guard pass of all time.

This is the type of instructional that needs to be put out. too many dvds are just 20 moves and that is it.

huh, seems more like a strategy to me. Or is it tactics. or is it operation?

anyways, good stuff.

Step over toe hold to heel hook. leglocks galore to be had from the guard.

And they arent anymore dangerous then chokes

Your philosophy to passing guard is to avoid passing guard?

Let them try to triangle then throw the legs to the side! :icon_chee

Your philosophy to passing guard is to avoid passing guard?

Passing guard to avoid sweeps and having to deal with being put back into it when you try getting side control

My philosophy is smash the damn thing and pass as quickly as possible. You need to be aggressive when passing the guard. Most of my passes are knee slide passes, and in the gi I use the torreando (sp?) stuff. Nothing terribly fancy, but I like to think I'm fairly aggressive.

X Pass!!!
And I have been gotten nailed into my head "Once the guard is open, it stays fucking open lol"

First off, great video! I really liked the narration of the Roger Gracie clips at the end to demonstrate what you were talking about. It would be great if you could incorporate more narrated analysis of popular bjj players in your future videos. I thought that really helped.

As for my "philosophy," I don't know if I have one yet. Started training 6/08 and have had my blue for less than one year. I still feel like a beginner that is still barely brushing the surface of bjj.

There are some things I like to do though.

In gi or nogi, I like to go put my knee between my opponents legs in order to break the guard. I don't have a lot of confidence in my standing guard breaks because I've been swept numerous times while standing. Just poor overall balance I suppose =/

I do stand though, at least in the gi, because the gi provides a lot more grips and I feel safer. Gripping his cuffs while attempting a standing guard break is something I do often.

After I open his guard up, I like to stay tight. A lot of what I like to do is something I took from the Michael Jens guard passing series. He emphasizes staying tight and close to your opponent to prevent him from forming some type of butterfly guard or open guard.

From there, I generally like to pin his thigh down with a knee and work some type of pass from there. I also like to work a leg over shoulder pass if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not so good at passes that require good timing or speed, like stepping around the legs into a KOB type of deal.

what's with guys who have musashi avatars and leglocks? you and footgod aka wolfwood...

good vid, but I was hoping to see roger vs romulo on it. That is my favorite guard pass of all time.

07 or 09? I prefer 09 as it is the only time as a black belt that Roger has been caught with a leg lasso spider guard in competition. Its cool to see his reaction. Usually he avoids this position VERY well, but Romulo was tricksy and knew his closed guard would be opened. He set up the position well in advance by controlling both Rogers sleeves and setting up the next position. Its hard to cross your opponents legs off the guard break (roger is the worlds best at this imo) when you are controlling both sleeves. You see a similar idea tried on Roger in 2007 worlds by Cavaca with some pretty good success. The Cavaca match was key in understanding rogers priority system of passing as you see his backup plan of driving to the half guard. He ends up getting half swept back to the feet from the 93 guard. Good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back