Your grappling: Just a bit of fun or something more?

HomerPlata

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I include wrestling/bjj/luta livre/judo/whatever in this. I'd like to know peoples' attitudes towards their martial art.

When you are being shown techniques, do you just learn them without question, or do you find yourself asking "what situation would I use this in? would it work if... etc."?

Do you consider your success in competition as a benchmark of how you would perform in a real confrontation, or don't you give a shit?

Do any of you completely separate your training from real life in such a way that you accept your belt rank may have no bearing on how confident you are of coming out on top if you're attacked?

And don't you just hate it when you go to the toilet in work, you go into the far left cubicle (leaving three vacant cubicles to your right) and some guy comes in and goes into the cubicle right next to you? What's that all about?

I do ask a lot of questions as to how it would be effective if my opponent did this first or blocked this etc. Only because I want to get the best out of the martial art rather than just knowing the basics.

And don't you just hate it when you go to the toilet in work, you go into the far left cubicle (leaving three vacant cubicles to your right) and some guy comes in and goes into the cubicle right next to you? What's that all about?

In a world where anything of any substance mattered, this would be an offense punishable by death.

I do ask a lot of questions as to how it would be effective if my opponent did this first or blocked this etc. Only because I want to get the best out of the martial art rather than just knowing the basics.

But say, for example, you have a generally bad session and nothing goes right for you - does that bleed into the rest of your day, or can you just leave it all in the gym?

Obviously I'm asking that because I've had some bad sessions where I'm walking out the door questioning what I'm even doing with myself, and if I'm wasting my time. I'd like to have a mentality that maximises my development (easier said than done) instead of chipping away at my 'performance' constantly.

I include wrestling/bjj/luta livre/judo/whatever in this. I'd like to know peoples' attitudes towards their martial art.

When you are being shown techniques, do you just learn them without question, or do you find yourself asking "what situation would I use this in? would it work if... etc."?

Do you consider your success in competition as a benchmark of how you would perform in a real confrontation, or don't you give a shit?

Do any of you completely separate your training from real life in such a way that you accept your belt rank may have no bearing on how confident you are of coming out on top if you're attacked?

Well, I have a blue belt in jiu jitsu, I think I would do ok against someone on the street as long as they aren't 3 times bigger than me or also know jiu jitsu. I stopped worrying about that stuff like being attacked a long time ago b/c I used to train JKD and that's all we learned was street fighting techniques, now I focus on conditioning b/c I realized in a real fight you gas quickly and all you have to do is wait until your opponent tires. Like one of the Gracies said, "I'm a shark, the ground is my ocean and most people don't know how to swim."

1- To stay in shape
2- Fun
3- Self defense

Although learning self defense and fighting in general is fun for me, so 2 and 3 could be the same.

I always assume that anyone I'd get in a fight with would have less training than me, and definitely be in worse shape than me, so from a real world perspective, I don't worry about it too much. Honestly, I'm big (225), in shape, well trained guy; God help anyone who gets in my face. I'm not saying I'm a badass or anything, but I do spend a lot of time working on fighting and so I just assume I'd win any 1 on 1 confrontation that didn't involve weapons.

And I do hate it when people get in the stall right next to you. It's even weirder if there are a line of like 5 urinals, and you're at the end, and someone comes in a takes the one right next to you. That's some uncomfortable shit right there.

I look deeper into every technique I'm shown. Not only do I question whether it works for me...if I see myself being able to do it, but I also ask why it works and what underlying principals can I take from it and apply elsewhere.

And I do hate it when people get in the stall right next to you. It's even weirder if there are a line of like 5 urinals, and you're at the end, and someone comes in a takes the one right next to you. That's some uncomfortable shit right there.

That is a good way to start a fight right there.

Self-defense has gotten pretty insignificant for me. I'm quiet, respectful, married--I don't really go out to wild party scenes or rowdy places. I try not to hang out in dark alleys. If I'm doing this for self-defense I'm probably wasting my time. That being said, I don't like my opponent being postured up in my guard without controlling wrist or neck, or fully postured up in mount. I keep common sense stuff in mind, but I don't obsess.

It's just fun for me. If it wasn't, I wouldn't do it!

For me it's an expansion of ones self. I have always been intrigued by MA. Now that I don't play football anymore, outside of racing cars its a very good way to stay in top physical shape, learn and compete when im ready for it. Just got back home from my first sessions in 3 months......... super rocky but its all good.

Like one of the Gracies said, "I'm a shark, the ground is my ocean and most people don't know how to swim."

Love that quote. And to answer TS, I'll often ask questions about slightly different scenarios - "can't he pull his arm out and...?", "what if I slide my leg through like this?", and so on. I'm just now getting to the point where I can work some of this on my own, without bothering my instructor a la the infamous "But Saulo..."

I don't consider belt rank indicative of how well I'll do "in the street," but I've been attacked before (thankfully a one on one scenario where the bouncers intervened within a few minutes) and I was quite comfortable. At least, as comfortable as you can be while wondering if he's carrying a knife. I'll have to agree with Uchi Mata. I spend between 1.5 and 4 hours training typically six days per week and I'm in quite good shape. So long as I can be reasonably sure someone's not armed or well-trained, I'm not too concerned.

But hell, there's no way I'd go to class every day if I didn't love it. It's a hell of a lot of fun first, everything else is just a great perk.

I do it for fun.

As to the bathroom issue, if a guy at work hops on the throne next door I knock on the divider and say something like "who the fuck is in there?"

If they provide their name and if it's someone I don't hate I will converse with him. If they go all shy I will hurl general barbs in their direction.

I do it for fun.

As to the bathroom issue, if a guy at work hops on the throne next door I knock on the divider and say something like "who the fuck is in there?"

If they provide their name and if it's someone I don't hate I will converse with him. If they go all shy I will hurl general barbs in their direction.

Hahahaha! Quality post there :icon_chee

what this guy said

Back