Your favorite movie of 1996

Your favorite movie of 1996

• Total voters

Agent Mulder's Hair

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I graduated high school in 96 so it's a special time for me. I get nostalgia overload once in awhile thinking about the movies and music and everything about that time. Seems like a better time than now, but it's hard to tell because I guess I was still in my wonder years or whatever. But WOW looking at the movies that came out that year....it definitely was a better time than now.

Obvious choice is ID4. And I did love that. Also loved Twister...to the point where I wanted to be a tornado chaser...seriously....for a little while. BUT....I'm going with SCREAM! THAT shit was a total game changer and SO MUCH FUN to see in theaters. What say you, sherbrethren?

Edit: I ran out of poll choices but also:

The Frighteners
Sling Blade
Broken Arrow
Primal Fear

Last edited:
Damn, I don't think I ever noticed that '96 was a such a beast in terms of movies. Crazy, because those are some heavy hitters.

Gotta go with The Rock, but Independence Day, Fargo, Jerry Maguire, Twister and Scream are all worthy contenders.

I'm glad to see you put The Craft on there as well, because that's a movie that I really don't think gets the credit it deserves. Underrated for sure.

tumblr_ofl8z8imLs1sjc5sqo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_oepm3wjwN21qcqftxo1_500.gif

tumblr_oblyinQV351txfen3o1_500.gif

Oh dude, I loved The Craft and have VERY fond memories of it. I used to see a girl named Daphne around that time that was into wicca or whatever and I'll just say I have really fond memories of that movie and that time.

Because I was a Christian until about the year 2000 I refused to watch the movie when it first came out. I finally caught it on TNT one night around 2003 and was like, "That was a damn good movie!"

I have seen it several times since then. In fact, I own it on Blu-Ray.

It really is a very interesting and well-made film. It's not shock to me that a bunch girls started dabbling in Wicca right after it came out.

The Cable Guy and Eraser sucked.

It's true.

Hard to vote against Happy Gilmore, but Fargo was so damn good.

Because I was a Christian until about the year 2000 I refused to watch the movie when it first came out. I finally caught it on TNT one night around 2003 and was like, "That was a damn good movie!"

I have seen it several times since then. In fact, I own it on Blu-Ray.

It really is a very interesting and well-made film. It's not shock to me that a bunch girls started dabbling in Wicca right after it came out.

It's true.

I was a Christian then too, and still am, so I do see the problems with movies like that.

The Cable Guy and Eraser sucked. I did leave out Beavis and Butthead Do America though. Oversight on my part.

Now that I'm looking at a some of the movies that came out in '96, Primal Fear and A Time to Kill are more deserving than some of the ones you picked. I mean, Kingpin?

Swingers. It was a movie that really hit me the first time I saw it..maybe 7 years ago and there are little nuances I'll still pick up on when I watch it now. I love it and it is easily one of my favorites of all time

Now that I'm looking at a some of the movies that came out in '96, Primal Fear and A Time to Kill are more deserving than some of the ones you picked. I mean, Kingpin?

Primal Fear came out that year too?! DUDE....yeah my fault. Didn't even realize. That movie was outstanding! "Well good...for....you, MARTY!" :eek: One of the best twists of all time imo

but hey, don't hate on Kingpin. It's hilarious. And without that, there's no Something About Mary and similar films. Although iirc Dumb and Dumber predates it. But whatever

Yeah Fargo was good yaa?? But Gilmore tells a ball to suck his white ass. Classic.

Absolutely classic.

I guess I give Fargo the edge because even though Happy Gilmore is funny as fuck, Fargo is both funny and very dramatic, which is really hard to pull off.

Primal Fear came out that year too?! DUDE....yeah my fault. Didn't even realize. That movie was outstanding!

It's one of those movies that I still remember watching for the first time. I guess I was about 14 and my brother brought it home from Blockbuster. The twist totally blew me away.

That's another one I now own on Blu-Ray. Hard Evidence Edition!

Never seen't it.

And I like Michael J. Fox, too.

Although some of his work can be a little shaky.

I'm going to hell

lol you ARE going down for that, lol. Just sayin.......SO wrong

BUT, yeah dude watch The Frighteners. Seriously, there's not another movie quite like it, even to this day. It's early Peter Jackson and it's quirky and brilliant

Sidenote on Swingers. I tweeted Jon Favereau about it last year for the 20th Anniversary thanking him for making the film and it being a classic. He actually pm'd me back and we had a brief 3 message conversation about it. I know it's not a lot but it was awesome he took the time to interact with me about the film that night

Last edited:
Back