Your favorite fish and how you like it cooked

it's not the most popular choice around, but i love sturgeon. one of my co-workers fishes on his time-off, and he cut me a huge piece of sturgeon. i heated it in a pan with olive oil, and quite honestly, i didn't need seasoning. it was amazing. i'd take that over any other fish.

I usually just buy frozen fish at the store but man I would really love to go fishing and eat whatever I catch. That would be a new experience for me.

damn .. king fish in fish curry or smelt masala fried with dhal and rice ... damn son

Non raw, Fresh trout is tough to beat.

Fried is grouper, grilled probably mahi, baked o guess halibut.

Steamed trout with ginger, olive oil, green onion cooked over it

Salmon teriyaki how it's done in a sushi japanese restaurant

That's another one of those pseudo-Western Japanese dishes that back migrated.

It's funny that there's a thread on steak and beef where we're talking about dry aging, because on the flip side of the Pacific, it's fairly uncommon to not salt-dry and age fish before grilling or frying it as it intensifies the flavors and tightens the muscles to give it more bite. Most Westerners can't handle it though, much like how most East Asians can't handle strong cheeses, even though it still produced by the same lactic acid fermentation process and produces much the same odors.

Come to think of it, the most expensive salt-dry aged fish is about the same or more expensive than the most expensive dry aged beef.

secret-2(3).jpg

That right there is $300-400 worth of fish, retail.

never tried this .. sounds good ... do you like the cheeks also?
I like the cheeks too but I've always found them a bit overrated. Probably because I've never cooked them properly.

I like the cheeks too but I've always found them a bit overrated. Probably because I've never cooked them properly.
I would agree. They're okay, but not like people make them out to be. I honestly think people talk so highly of them because they think they're a big secret. I always pop them out, but the fillet is much better, IMO.

I love tuna loin, seared rare.

Fresh caught pickerel lightly breaded and fried in butter with a bit of dill is also great. That's my go to when I'm fishing for pickerel.

Last edited:
IDK how anyone could seriously say trout. Trout is the most bland, virtually tasteless of all fish IMO. It's basically a carrier for your prep and flavoring/spicing method.

cured/smoked/brined salmon i cannot get enough of.

misoyaki butterfish is some good shit too
Butterfish2.jpg

I usually just buy frozen fish at the store but man I would really love to go fishing and eat whatever I catch. That would be a new experience for me.
There is no comparison to fresh caught fish. Anything store bought has been frozen and defrosted at least 3 to 4 times by the time you even get it.

When we catch, we kill the fish Ike Jime and then bleed them. Straight into an ice slurry in a fish box. The fish has no stress, and bleeding removes the red meat you get over the backbone.

Clean it and eat it. It turns average table fish into first class fish. Prize table fish caught this way, let's just say you will never be able to eat packaged fish ever again.

Last edited:
There is no comparison to fresh caught fish. Anything store bought has been frozen and defrosted at least 3 to 4 times by the time you even get it.

When we catch, we bleed the fish and ice slurry it immediately. Clean it and eat it. It turns average table fish into first class fish. Prize table fish caught this way, let's just say you will never be able to eat packaged fish ever again.

Yeah, I like to fish anywhere I can have a camp fire or bring my small grill and cast iron. Nothing beats catching a fish, cleaning and eating it immediately.

Whitefish , grouper , salmon - soup
Yellow croaker , mackerel , sole - pan fried
Skate - raw in spicy radish salad

it's not the most popular choice around, but i love sturgeon. one of my co-workers fishes on his time-off, and he cut me a huge piece of sturgeon. i heated it in a pan with olive oil, and quite honestly, i didn't need seasoning. it was amazing. i'd take that over any other fish.

Sturgeon is great. I find its a very meaty fish that you can cook slow or braise. They're delicious braised in red wine.

I catch Lake Sturgeon all the time, but you can't keep them here anymore due to declining numbers. It's still a fun fish to catch that puts up a hell of a fight.

Back