Your "Favorite Films of 2016" List

Had more fun watching Conjuring 2 than the Witch. Thought Anya Taylor-Joy was more entertaining in Morgan. The Witch gets a hard 5. Just like women who get a hard 5, I'd pass on it unless I didn't have anything better to do lol.

images

And that's it

The worst film he ever made. And stop using Samuel Jackson. He's the black version of Bruce Willis.

The Handmaiden
In Order of Disappearance
Nocturnal Animals
The Nice Guys
Green Room
Hell or High Water
Elle
Sing Street
Neon Demon
Krisha

Last edited:
God damn you're on it. @Übermacht

landscape-1466797824-hbz-elle-fanning.jpg

Lets see em fellas, post yours here. Will update and edit my post once i'm able to watch some of the more lauded films I have not seen (Hell or High Water, La La Land, Arrival, Moonlight. Yeah I have quite a few). But for now.....

1.) Neon Demon
2.) The VVitch
3.) The Invitation
4.) The Wailing
5.) Green Room
6.) Midnight Special
7.) The Lobster
8.) Don't Breathe
9.) The Nice Guys

This has been a shit year for films. Not even listing a 10th movie til I get to see some of the more acclaimed films.

Neon Demon was my #1 movie of 2016...................................for me to poop on

My Top films, from this year:

Civil War
Rogue One
Deadpool
Arrival
Doctor Strange
The Conjuring 2
The VVitch

Didn't visit the cinema, as much as last year, so I missed a lot of films that I really wanted to see, so I'm making sure to put time aside, for Green Room, Don't Breathe, Lights Out, and several more.

Hoping 2017 is a stronger year, for cinema, because I hope to break 2015's record of around 21 cinema visits.

Zootopia
Deadpool
Civil War
Sully
Dirty Grandpa
Secret Life of Pets
Central Intelligence
13 Hours
Brothers Grimsby

1. ARRIVAL
2. The Witch
3. The Nice Guys
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Captain Murica: Civil War

17k posts lmfao. Joseph, one more word from you and I'll come to New Jersey and shit on your Mother. Alright little boy?

Now stop quoting me.

lol the posts count insult that is used when there is no point in an argument other than to argue. But in this case you really just shitted on yourself. You have 700 posts in 6 months. At the rate you are going, you will probably surpass or at least be on par on him when you reach his year count. So much stupidity in one post by insulting yourself indirectly. Can't blame you cos you probably can't think.

I downloaded it lol. Train to Busan would def be the tenth film on my list right now, forgot about that one

Train to Busan is great on first watch, especially in the theater. I'm not so sure about rewatchability.

Haven't seen Neon Witch but seems to me like nearly everyone enjoyed it. May have to make it my next watch.

The better notable films Ive seen this year include Zootopia, Deadpool, The Nice Guys, the Jungle Book and the Accountant. I also really enjoyed the Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, a Michael Bay film, definitely enjoyable for what it was and infinitely superior to the junk he's know to sprout. These films weren't cinematic masterpieces but they achieved what they were hoping to achieve with flying colours. Most of the movies Ive mentioned also came out earlier in the year, so me being able to even recall them must mean they were at least decent.

I've seen some utterly mediocre films this year including the butchering of Jason Borne, Suicide Squad, Batman V Superman, and Zoolander.

We've definitely had a worse off year than 2015, movies like the Revenant, and the Sicaro were sorely missed.

Arrival
Rogue One
The Conjuring 2
The Witch
The Lobster

Why is everybody in this thread so angry?

Probably because only my opinion matters and no one else matters. My taste in movies is the best and anyone that disagree is not on par with my intellect.

me%20me%20me.jpg

Nah.. it's really just two users arguing. The rest are contributing solid films of 2016.

The film was hardly unorthodox, especially if you are familiar with Refn's work.

Unortodox in relation to the industry at large. If you compair a work with the rest of its directors ouvre -- then almost no film is unortodox.

Stylization counts for something when no film comes even close to the cinematography or visual bliss of ND. )

Being ostentatious about your style doesn't necessarily make said style great. The style of Neon demon is increadibly overt but it is also at many times sterile, garish and obtusely symbolic to a fault. And let's not pretend that Refn invented dead-center fraimming. I'm not saying that the style is bad or anything -- but it definitively doesn't keep the movie afloot.

At least it has a theme, unlike comic films (two of em on your list smfh)

What?

Civil War and Dr Strange obviously have themes. They're almost as overt about it as Neon Demon is.

Civil War is the conflict between authonomy/freedom vs regulation/govermental control (and frankly, even as clunky as it could be it was still more thought-provoking than Neon Demon). Dr Strange is empriricism vs spirituality, aloofness vs intimacy, and the question of moral necessity when it comes to combating evil.

Last edited:
Unortodox in relation to the industry at large. If you compair a work with the rest of its directors ouvre -- then almost no film is unortodox.

Being ostentatious about your style doesn't necessarily make said style great. The style of Neon demon is increadibly overt but it is also at many times sterile, garish and obtusely symbolic to a fault. And let's not pretend that Refn invented dead-center fraimming. I'm not saying that the style is bad or anything -- but it definitively doesn't keep the movie afloot.

What?

Civil War and Dr Strange obviously have themes. They're almost as overt about it as Neon Demon is.

Civil War is the conflict between authonomy/freedom vs regulation/govermental control (and frankly, even as clunky as it could be it was still more thought-provoking than Neon Demon). Dr Strange is empriricism vs spirituality, aloofness vs intimacy, and the question of moral necessity when it comes to combating evil.
Why would I discriminate against the massive film industry and only compare his work to other "art" films? Refn, and artists in the film industry, are a rarity and they will remain a rarity if you hold them to a niche.

These are a bunch of empty words. Lets be more direct. Name me one film with better cinematography and visuals than Neon Demon this year.

Sorry bud but anyone who wants to talk about Dr Strange as some sort of symbolic artistic masterpiece has no business being taken seriously

The Handmaiden
In Order of Disappearance
Nocturnal Animals
The Nice Guys
Green Room
Hell or High Water
Elle
Sing Street
Neon Demon
La La Land
Good call on Green Room, Hell or High Water and especially Sing Street.

I would probably place Sing Street as my favorite movie of 2016. Its not as good as Whiplash because the 2nd half of Sing Street could have been better. It really is a trip down memory lane for those that grew up in the mid 80s listening to new wave songs

Well shit, I've only seen 3 movies from 2016. I'm well behind for that year, but if it wasn't a good year for cinema, then I guess I haven't missed too much.

Deadpool
Civil War
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Very easy to rank those 3. BvS was clearly well below those 2. I also saw The Witch, but it's a 2015 film.

"arrival" tops my list and there really isn't a close second. i don't watch many movies though.

Back