Your favorite cumstom blade shops

It's a lottery now, damn...

I don't know the best knifemakers to invest in these days, but if there are any Ernie Emersons out there right now, making innovative designs with high quality, buy a few and put them away for a couple of decades. Loveless is dead now, but if there are any other old masters with long waiting lists, that's another guaranteed winner in the long term.

Jason Brous is making some nice stuff these days.

It's a lottery now, damn...

I don't know the best knifemakers to invest in these days, but if there are any Ernie Emersons out there right now, making innovative designs with high quality, buy a few and put them away for a couple of decades. Loveless is dead now, but if there are any other old masters with long waiting lists, that's another guaranteed winner in the long term.

There's a lot of serious knife makers out there. With technology making it's way into traditional knife making not only is it getting easier, but some folks are making leaps and bounds with the metals they are using.

I'm looking to getting in with the A-Sol guys to learn all I can from them.

There's a lot of serious knife makers out there. With technology making it's way into traditional knife making not only is it getting easier, but some folks are making leaps and bounds with the metals they are using.

Definitely. The ease with which a knifemaker can program a CNC mill has changed knifemaking. I suspect that there are far less makers handcrafting any part of their knives now compared to when I was collecting/investing. Not forging their own blades or anything, just doing as much as they can by hand. It was handcrafting that made a Bill Moran knife so special, and his waiting list so long. If his knives had been made with machines they wouldn't be worth so much now, either. This is not necessarily a bad thing for the function of a knife, it just removes much of the skill and work that a handmade knife has.

Why spend years learning how to profile a blade by hand when you can learn CNC programming in a few days? It would be weird now to become a knife maker and ignore modern technological advancements that can produce a more tightly-fitting knife. A folder, especially, would be easier to get right if everything was made to within a few thousandths of a millimeter.

Definitely. The ease with which a knifemaker can program a CNC mill has changed knifemaking. I suspect that there are far less makers handcrafting any part of their knives now compared to when I was collecting/investing. Not forging their own blades or anything, just doing as much as they can by hand. It was handcrafting that made a Bill Moran knife so special, and his waiting list so long. If his knives had been made with machines they wouldn't be worth so much now, either. This is not necessarily a bad thing for the function of a knife, it just removes much of the skill and work that a handmade knife has.

Why spend years learning how to profile a blade by hand when you can learn CNC programming in a few days? It would be weird now to become a knife maker and ignore modern technological advancements that can produce a more tightly-fitting knife. A folder, especially, would be easier to get right if everything was made to within a few thousandths of a millimeter.

Yeah these days you can get a plasma table for a couple grand and get started. With blanks being sold by the metric ton. Check this Aussies out.

599566_258246460964160_273359359_n.png

http://www.zubladeworx.com.au/

They CNC all of their stuff. Although I've never actually wielded one of their blades I have little doubt that these gent wouldn't put a lot of work into the balance and practicality of the blade. They use to make a blade called a Warchild MK2 that is fucking sick. I wish I knew of them when they made it. I would have gotten one.

shit, so many sought after i dont know where to start. One of my most desired would be a Todd Rexford epicenter. That will never happen due to price/availability.

Id love to have a Sean Kendricks folder http://www.kendrickhandmadeknives.com/
Like his designs, plus we share a love for metal music. And he seems to be a cool dude (interacting on USN)

Calavera Cutlery El Patron is still one of my most wanted. Wouldnt mind having a Mick Strider custom SMF .....so many amazing knife makers out there.

Locally, theres Peter Carey http://careyblade.com/knives.html his shit is fucking amazing......but i think his cheapest pieces are around 1500 bucks.

I don't foresee getting to own any custom folders any time soon. Most all of the notable makers are starting 700-1000 bucks for "base" models these days....i havent ventured over 400 bucks yet

Vladimir Cervenka. He's made me a couple of swords, really good quality work.

shit, so many sought after i dont know where to start. One of my most desired would be a Todd Rexford epicenter. That will never happen due to price/availability.

Id love to have a Sean Kendricks folder http://www.kendrickhandmadeknives.com/
Like his designs, plus we share a love for metal music. And he seems to be a cool dude (interacting on USN)

Calavera Cutlery El Patron is still one of my most wanted. Wouldnt mind having a Mick Strider custom SMF .....so many amazing knife makers out there.

Locally, theres Peter Carey http://careyblade.com/knives.html his shit is fucking amazing......but i think his cheapest pieces are around 1500 bucks.

I don't foresee getting to own any custom folders any time soon. Most all of the notable makers are starting 700-1000 bucks for "base" models these days....i havent ventured over 400 bucks yet

I'll be looking into these for investment possibilities, thanks.

Back