Your favorite book

Choke has gotta be my favorite. Survivor and invisible monsters are up there too. I've honestly not read Pygmy but I recognized the title
Pygmy is an interesting book. It's about an secret agent sent to inflitrate a small american town by posing as a transfer student. It's told in broken english.

Haunted is one of my favorites.

If you like Palahniuk, you should check out Max Barry. Similar writing style, but the stories are more light. Jennifer Government and Machine Man are probably his best works atm.

I'll take that as favorite novel.

Le rouge et le noir - stendhal (great book, nietzsche recommended it in one of his books).
Desolation angels - Jack Kerouac (funny how the best French Canadian other wrote in English and about america)
The picture OF Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde.
The Odyssey - Homer.

A short history on nearly everything.

"When Gravity Fails" by George Alec Effinger.

B
Hard to pick favorite books, but I have favorite authors. In no particular order:
Chuck Palahniuk
Kurt Vonnegut
Harlan Ellison
Max Barry
Charles Bukowski

Bukowski and Palahniuk are my favorites
Pygmy is an interesting book. It's about an secret agent sent to inflitrate a small american town by posing as a transfer student. It's told in broken english.

Haunted is one of my favorites.

If you like Palahniuk, you should check out Max Barry. Similar writing style, but the stories are more light. Jennifer Government and Machine Man are probably his best works atm.

I've got haunted on my book shelf still haven't cracked it.

Currently love reading these books:
The_Disaster_Artist.jpg
51xhfAAh-QL._SX301_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51xOVJo1sDL._SX298_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Shogun.jpg

Also some favorites:

Have_a_Nice_Day!_A_Tale_of_Blood_and_Sweatsocks.jpg

4fcb9dc28d6e307e58e013b977ee48ad.203x285x1.jpg

51P01h3DZtL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I dont know. Tolkiens works have very high nostalgic value for me but Id be hard pressed to say hes my favourite to read. As far as just enjoyment of the writers ability goes, their flow so to speak, its probably Stephen King or Harry Turtledove for fiction.

Now Im a simple man but anyone that denies King is a beast of a writer is a damn fool. Appreciation for him will only increase as time goes on, especially posthumously. Hes the best current writer at capturing zeitgeist and one of the best alltime at capturing and keeping attention. Meta shit like Atlas Shrugged, with their focus on the overarching moral theme are slogs.

Hmm, individual book? Or do series count? I really love Codex Alera by Jim Butcher, but that's six books. For singles, I'm really not sure. I really enjoyed Dune, Lord of the Flies, Jurassic Park, Starship Troopers, but I don't think any of them would count as my favorite. If we expanded to graphic novels/manga then I'd go with the series that my AV comes from: The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

Hmm, that is a tough one. I've read a lot of good books, but not too often have I gone back and reread many of them. Mainly it's due to the time needed. If I had to pick some books that I would strongly recommend, I would go with:

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham - it's a fairly short sci-fi story. It's about world after some kind of disaster (you can figure out what it was if you read the book) and how society has regressed. A lot of it centres around conflict from society vs deviants/mutants.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon - this is a fantastic book. It's based on two characters starting up a comic book during the Golden Age of comics. If you haven't read it, you definitely should check it out.

The Once and Future King by T H White - this not the most true to myth version of King Arthur, but it's the best. It does a great job at giving a sense of wonder and magic in the earlier parts, before things progress to their inevitable end.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - it's set in the Napoleonic wars, in a world where magic is real, but faded. It does one of the best jobs at world building that I've ever seen. The book is filled with footnotes that have random tidbits and give a lot of depth to its lore.

Back