Your experience getting choked out...

Reading these reply's makes me wonder, what is the best thing to do when somebody's chocked out?
Like do you lift their head? make them sit up or stay down? Water?

Osu!

We were doing some king of the mat tonight in class, working from different positions. I came off the wall and went to the back position (person coming off the wall starts with the other person on their back).

After about 30 seconds or so of scrambling the guy gets a solid grip on my collar and pulls me onto my side (same side as his over-grip which is in my collar) and starts cranking the choke. I started trying to work an escape I saw on Galvao's DVD set but was too late starting and the choke was too deep. Before I know it I'm trying to tap but only got 1 tap in (I think I missed with the rest, or maybe I was going out by that point).

Just as I'm about to go out he lets up a bit and starts asking "did you tap?" It was just enough to get the blood flowing again. He keeps asking "did you tap?" but I was so disoriented I didn't know what he was saying (I could hear him clearly but just couldn't make sense of it). Everything was fuzzy, I couldn't think straight, and every sound had a strange echo to it. It was the weirdest sensation (first time, obviously). Took me a good 10 seconds or so to regain my wits just to be able to respond to the guy.

It was actually a pretty neat experience, once I got past the moment of panic and realized I had just gotten choked (I was so disoriented and confused I panicked a bit internally briefly).

From now on I'll be trying escapes I'm more comfortable with when I'm rolling with purple belts (being an admittedly below average blue belt myself).

Anyone have similar experiences when getting choked? I've always been curious about what sensations people experience. I didn't go completely out (close, but not quite) so I didn't have the body twitching stuff or anything like that.

Where do you train at? I also live in Loveland and train at IMMAA.

I got choked out by a cross choke from the guard. I was trying to pass, and didn't quite believe in the choke. Next thing I know, my teammate is saying "hey, if you got caught, then tap!", and I was laying on his guard not knowing what happened.

came close to, but never got choked out 100%.

it's a weird feeling when you're just about to fade

Besides me and my buddies getting drunk and trying out the RnC, I almost went out last night. I was in bottom side control and he put on a DEEP baseball bat choke. He walked around my body, tightening it, and I sat there hoping his grip would give. RIGHT as I started to see black I dropped my hand on his back to tap and he let up. After he let up I was seein stars for a few second until my head cleared.

Something about being choked to the point of near unconciousness is really refreshing.

Ha, Yeah it happened to me the day! I got my purple belt. It was so embarassing! My instructor was doing a demo with me for guillotine choke. I was in the referee position and he was in the sprawl position with the choke locked in the moment he sat out to his butt, i passed out only for a few seconds. but it was fuckkkkin awesome!

Reading these reply's makes me wonder, what is the best thing to do when somebody's chocked out?
Like do you lift their head? make them sit up or stay down? Water?

Osu!

You lift their legs up to let the blood go back to the brain easier.

My experience with being choked out is limited to tapping on my opponent and then offering congratulations.

That being said, when I was younger my friends and I did plenty of stupid things, and making each other pass out was one of them. Certainly a unique experience. My training partner has been choked out before, and I watched him immediately try to continue the match without ever realizing he was out in the first place before. Definitely amusing.

As far as the proper response to someone being choked out goes; some, including myself, might suggest Kappo techniques, others seem to like the old "raise-the-legs-up" technique. Personally, I think the recovery position is generally going to be sufficient. Kappo takes into consideration a couple of things, such an ensuring the arteries are not restricted... but really, I don't think anything beyond the recovery position is going to make much of a difference in most cases.

I've heard it doesn't matter. No matter what you do you will not wake them up any faster.

That's what I was told to do and it's what I've always heard to do. I don't think it makes a huge difference, I'd like to see some medical facts on it before I completely believe in it.

That's what I was told to do and it's what I've always heard to do. I don't think it makes a huge difference, I'd like to see some medical facts on it before I completely believe in it.

To each his own, raising their legs ain't gonna hurt, but neither is not doin anything.

I remember when I was first starting I got baited into a guard pass and BOOM all of a sudden I was in a brabo choke. Before I could even make sense of what was happening I was out cold.

It was really weird I could hear my self snoring then when I woke up I had a bad headache and my neck was killing me.

Once we were doing guard pass drills (no submissions). I"m a blue, and was trying to pass this purple's guard. Well, I succeeded with a standing guard pass, and the asshole grabs a baseball bat and chokes me out as I pass into side control.

Everything was fuzzy for the rest of the class, and I had kind of a headache for a few minutes. Not cool.

this is exactly how it happened to me. I was sitting at the bar on a stool and as im going to take a drink my buddy grabs me in a rear naked choke and starts squeezing. I tapped as soon has he squeezed but he didnt let go. I woke up chewing my tongue and went after him by instinct. Like I didnt even realize i was chasing him in a rage for like a good 10 seconds.

that's hilarious how your body remembered to be pissed at your friend instinctively

It's happened to me twice before. I only went out for probably about half a second but afterwards I didn't know what happened for probably a good 15 to 20 seconds. both times were from guillotines I just can't keep my fucking chin down :(.

Ive been unconscious 3 or 4 times in my bjj training. This is the story of the worst.

Both purple belts, he is younger than me and me a little more life worn. He put on this super tight xcollar choke from his guard. He opened up his guard to climb it higher. I thought that was the one opportunity that I needed to pass his guard.

There was no "dulling" of my senses, not slow down , no closing of my vision - Bam I went out.

I remember a full screen of TV static, and the noise to go with it. Out of the static came a set of rolling fuit machine wheels, you know? One armed Bandit? On one the spinning wheels were Elephants, a bus, some fruit and a jackpot sign. I was trying to focus and get them all to stop on the same image. I felt my body shaking, every shake was my attempt to stop the fruit machine. They wouldnt stop, at this point I realised that the stopping of the fruit machine was me trying to come round, get 3 jackpots, then I can wake up.

Subconsciously, I realised this and concentrated more to stop the wheels. They wouldnt, I staterd to panic. Then I remember being dragged along the floor by my feet.

This was when I came round. My instructor was lifting and shaking my feet and legs. Id been shaking. Numerous people were shitting themselves and the guy that did it, thought hed killed me. I was out for about 45 seconds.

All good now, no long term effects. Rolled about 5 mins after. Im now alittle more cautious with x collar chokes from the guard!!

I was practicing escaping the triangle choke (positional sparring where I would start in the triangle and get out) for about 20 minutes over and over again. I guess I wasn't giving myself enough time to recover after each escape so eventually I was trying to get out, then all of the sudden I was riding my skateboard around my old neighborhood in the summer time and I felt my back quivering. Like my back was throwing up almost. Then I hear this voice come out of the sky and say "are you ok? are you ok?". Then I woke up and the girl that choked me out told me I was convulsing. I told her I was fine, which I was and then I went in the office (I work at the school) and sat there for like 20 minutes kind of dazed, but feeling pretty awesome.

Not a bad experience at all, really.

Back