1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Your experience getting choked out...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by SudoManiac, Jul 14, 2010.

1. SudoManiac

SudoManiac Orange Belt

We were doing some king of the mat tonight in class, working from different positions. I came off the wall and went to the back position (person coming off the wall starts with the other person on their back).

After about 30 seconds or so of scrambling the guy gets a solid grip on my collar and pulls me onto my side (same side as his over-grip which is in my collar) and starts cranking the choke. I started trying to work an escape I saw on Galvao's DVD set but was too late starting and the choke was too deep. Before I know it I'm trying to tap but only got 1 tap in (I think I missed with the rest, or maybe I was going out by that point).

Just as I'm about to go out he lets up a bit and starts asking "did you tap?" It was just enough to get the blood flowing again. He keeps asking "did you tap?" but I was so disoriented I didn't know what he was saying (I could hear him clearly but just couldn't make sense of it). Everything was fuzzy, I couldn't think straight, and every sound had a strange echo to it. It was the weirdest sensation (first time, obviously). Took me a good 10 seconds or so to regain my wits just to be able to respond to the guy.

It was actually a pretty neat experience, once I got past the moment of panic and realized I had just gotten choked (I was so disoriented and confused I panicked a bit internally briefly).

From now on I'll be trying escapes I'm more comfortable with when I'm rolling with purple belts (being an admittedly below average blue belt myself).

Anyone have similar experiences when getting choked? I've always been curious about what sensations people experience. I didn't go completely out (close, but not quite) so I didn't have the body twitching stuff or anything like that.

2. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I was almost out from a triangle choke before. I had a friend triangle me and I tried to fight it. I was almost out when my dad came in and said supper was ready (we were in the living room), he let go and I just collapsed a bit and sat up and started laughing my ass off saying "MY HANDS ARE NUMB COOL". I heard everyone but I couldn't process it or say anything. All I could do was laugh and remark to my hands.

It was a hilarious experience, my friend and I talk about it almost daily.

3. SudoManiac

SudoManiac Orange Belt

This was the most interesting part of the whole experience for me. I could hear him asking me if I tapped, and I could think clearly in my own head, but I just couldn't figure out what he meant by "Did you tap?"

4. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

It's a scary but hilarious thing at the same time. Everyone's like "DUDE DUDE" and you're just looking at them (or laughing like I was completely insanely)

5. KeNPoWeRs

KeNPoWeRs Orange Belt

I've never been out,I can tell the moment something gets too deep.I will never understand how some guys let themselves get put to sleep in sparring.really pointless,you gotta pick your fights man,but to each their own

6. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

I've never went out in my bjj class. It was always with friends.

I had one come up behind me and put me in a standing RNC and he held it and I blacked out and hit my head on the vending machine behind me.

7. Paratoxicity

Paratoxicity White Belt

I've been all the way out before, twice. The first time, my instructor was using me for a triangle demonstration, and he had it pretty tight even though it wasn't locked all the way. I felt a little bit of pressure, but I was doing fine, waiting for him to finish explaining. Apparently a little pressure can still put you to sleep if it's held long enough.

He didn't realize I had gone to sleep as he finished the move. He got curious when I didn't tap, let go, and noticed i was out.

It was only a few seconds, but it felt like a really long time. Everything was black and I felt like I was falling. Then I started to hear muffled voices, felt my instructor shaking me, and I opened my eyes. Once I realized where I was, I thought to myself that I didn't remember even coming to class. :icon_lol:

It's definitely a trippy experience.

8. Brian Tellis

Brian Tellis Amateur Fighter

this is exactly how it happened to me. I was sitting at the bar on a stool and as im going to take a drink my buddy grabs me in a rear naked choke and starts squeezing. I tapped as soon has he squeezed but he didnt let go. I woke up chewing my tongue and went after him by instinct. Like I didnt even realize i was chasing him in a rage for like a good 10 seconds.

9. Bubba Kid

Bubba Kid Green Belt

someone did something like that to me, and when i came back i was at the bottom of some stairs not knowing what happened.

10. Gladstone

Gladstone Green Belt

I recently got choked pretty good. I didn't go out but I made this really weird snoring noise. It was from something like a front choke, but not exactly.

11. Goopus

Goopus Black Belt

I actually got choked out by a D'arce from my brother once. It was the tightest choke I've ever been caught in. I had mere seconds before I went out. Maybe three or four. I woke up and he was snapping his fingers in front of me trying to get me to wake up and then he was asking me why I didn't tap and I just sort of shook my head because I didn't know what was going on still.

12. littleone

littleone Orange Belt

Never gone out before in class but messing around with people outside the gym has been another story. Part of a deal was that we'd do it to each other and this particular person still owes me a punch to the face or deep RNC. Anyway, I hadn't even agreed to the deal before I was "caught". I was tapping and whining for him to stop but I woke up twitching while rolling over the back of the couch. Took me awhile to realize where I was and had a really vivid dream before waking up. Between trying to figure out my dream and why I was where I was, it was a trippy and not a fun experience. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE hahah

13. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

Got choked out for the first time in a tournament. It was bad.

Got choked out again helping my friend learn how to properly do a lapel choke. This wasn't too bad, was only out for a couple seconds.

Got choked out a third time rolling with my instructor. He sunk a baseball bat choke as I was passing guard, literally a second later I was out cold. He didn't realize I was out and kept choking me for about 30 seconds till he realized I wasn't conscious. I woke up and felt like I was hung over to hell, only with no nausea.

14. crochuck

crochuck Banned Banned

I got choked out a couple of weeks ago for the first time in BJJ class. The guy got me in a cross collar choke and I was trying to posture up. In my mind I had postured up all the way and was stacking him. When I woke up I was sitting in his guard making all kinds of nasty noises and one of the guys was asking me if it was tight and I was thinking "why would my headgear be tight? It feels fine" I didn't even have a clue I had gone out.

15. jasond

jasond Purple Belt

I've only been choked out once a year or so ago. It was my because of my own stupidity and stubbornness.

There was this big knucklehead guy who would train every other week or so. He'd ask to roll light, then midway through the roll, he'd go gorilla monsoon on you and start twisting your fingers back, putting his elbow in your eye, etc. Anyway, we start rolling and I pull guard, just working grips.

All of a sudden, he gets deep into my collar to try the "squeeze the bread" choke. I could have switched to open guard to attack with an armbar or pushed against the inside of his elbow to relieve the pressure...a number of things I could have done. But instead I got that small man syndrome "you're going to do what to me from my own guard!?!?!" Literally for like 2 or 3 seconds, I was just looking at him like he was retarded, so that by the time I hipped up for the armbar, he'd angled off and tripoded on his toes; driving all his weight into my right carotid while the angle I took for the armbar had pinched my left shoulder under my left carotid under his weight.

The next thing I remember was watching up and the whole room was foggy and my head was pounding; everything around me sounded weird - like faint echoes. The guy's looking at me with this worried look on his face. He's like, "what happened? what's wrong with you?"

It took a second, but then I realized what had happened and the small man syndrome got worse..."this no good sucka just choked me out!" So I said, "okay, let's go again", but he protested saying he was worried because I was shaking, etc. Well, we did roll and I immediately swept, ground the meanest 100-kilo's side control, then right before the timer went off, finished with one of the meanest collar chokes I'd ever done. I was PISSED!

When I thought about it the next day, I laughed at the fact that my own stupidity and stubbornness lead to me getting choked and I realized that rolling afterwards was not a good idea (not for me or him). I was just angry, emotional, and still not 100% "there".

Getting choked out that night was one of the best things that ever happened to me on the mat. It was the turning point for me to recognize that small man syndrome attitude I had been dealing with. Back then if anyone rolled like there were coming after me, I'd turn it up, smash them, and finish with not-so-nice subs. Not anymore.

I rolled with a 300 lb former wrestler last week (I'm 152 lbs). I let him start on top of me in mount and as soon as we started, he drove his elbow into my throat. I blocked it and upa'ed over to reverse him, but instead of going spider-monkey to his back with a mean RNC, I created some space and explained to him why the elbow was wrong and unnecessary.

Granted if I talk to a guy a few times and he still insists on trying to come too hard, I have no problem turning it up. But the difference is that years ago, I wouldn't even say anything; I'd just turn my game up and attack back.

16. crocoppertones

crocoppertones Silver Belt

been choked out twice
    one time I was mounted and fighting off a gi choke, felt like I was fine, nope... went to tap, and missed actually tapping him .. . . therefore he didn't feel it

both times I got choked out, I had a small seizure -one time my leg just twitched while I was out, and the other time was worse.. I flopped like a fish

which is kinda scary for all parties involved

17. kosen

kosen White Belt

Sometimes you just don`t have time to tap. I had both my arms locked down and was being choked, but he had no pressure so I thought I would try an escape, but then he tightened it up, and I can say that I have never been choked that fast before. I tapped as soon as I felt that it was in, and when he let go I was so close to being out that all noises were distorted and I didn`t understand anything for like 10 seconds.

18. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Rolling right after waking up, now thats awesome!!!

19. risingD

risingD Guest

it was a head triangle and I didn't want to tap so I passed out but my buddy didn't noticed that because I fidgeted and then I could gain consciousness again and whispered anything like "time" or something like that... I pretty much liked it it was relaxing and then I said alright once again...

20. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

At a seminar. Leo Santos had showed a clock choke and my training partner couldn't do it well, so all the higher belts and Leo were walking him through it. Both my hands were trapped, and they were yelling instructions really loud. The choke was in, and I couldn't tap with my hands, since I was being choked, my voice was feeble and easily drowned out by people yelling instructions. I tried to verbally tap, but I guess no one heard me.

Next thing I know, I'm lying on my side and Leo is staring at me. I'm thinking to myself "wtf is this dude doing? I paid for a seminar and he's just smiling at me?". I come to, and Leo tells me I was choked out. Then he asks if it was my first time, I say yes. He says "Congratulations, you're a man now". I laugh, still slightly confused and continue training.