Your Dream Watch

Any watch I buy must have:

-A round face,
-Simple, readable dial (unlike citizen watches which are over-complicated).
-A leather/canvass strap (metal bracelet straps don't really match my skin tone/style).
- mechanical v Quartz (I don't care so much).

On the regular, I wear a g-shock, as it's the most practical watch I own and I need to know the time for my job. It looks good, too.

I like watches like I like my women......easy to read and slightly loose.

The Breguet Marine-

The breguet marine in my opinion is the ultimate watch. Firstly it's waterproof (screwdown crown and tested to 100m), which is important for my as I frequently swim or fall into swimming pools drunk.

Secondly it is jn that Classic Breguet dress style. Breguet hands, only a big date complication and at a nice 39mm. It's a watch you can wear whilst kite surfing off your yacht in the med and then attend the Prince of Monaco's annual ball. It's a truly an all rounder watch. Close competitors are the aquaterra, datejust and the plain oyster perpetual.

Thirdly you are paying haute horology level money for a steel watch. This means you want the thing to be a work of art and not a mass produced piece of shit like a Rolex. The hands are heat treated to make them blue, which is a work of art in itself. The guilloche dial is solid gold and hand engraved, which again is a work of art. The combination of the blue steel hands and gold dial means the watch face is impenetrable to aging and won't rust or decay like other dials. The case is also hand decorated. The movement is obviously hand assembled and decorated with a solid gold rotor. Not even Patek Phillipe use decent dials anymore (the Nautilus's one is laquer on steel).

The drawbacks to the watch is that the movement is not "In house", is old and can't hack. Secondly Breguet is part of the search group, which on an emotional level takes something away from that feeling of a family or private owned watch company producing master pieces in a small Swiss workhouse somewhere. But at the end of the day a hell of a lot of hand made art goes into it and it is a lovely piece.

Old as in 2000-2007, which I believe has an aluminum bezel rather than a newer ceramic one. I'm not sure how much of a difference that really makes though.

The problem with these models is the piece of shit bracelet. They are beyond flimsy and 20 dollar Chinese watches are of higher quality. This is why I prefer the aluminium bezel Omegas to Rolex's. However the new Rolex bracelets are superb.

-A round face,
-A leather/canvass strap (metal bracelet straps don't really match my skin tone/style).

On the regular, I wear a g-shock, as it's the most practical watch I own and I need to know the time for my job. It looks good, too.
- Seiko 5
- Sistem51
- Tank Komandirskie

Good affordable mechanical watches, matching your wishes. And I share the same tastes. Never loved overcomplicated small watches.

images

More of a clock but that's my jam.

The problem with these models is the piece of shit bracelet. They are beyond flimsy and 20 dollar Chinese watches are of higher quality. This is why I prefer the aluminium bezel Omegas to Rolex's. However the new Rolex bracelets are superb.

I was talking to the jeweler who is trying to sell me on the newer Submariner and he said the newer ones have far superior bracelets. You know anything about this?

- Seiko 5
- Sistem51
- Tank Komandirskie

Good affordable mechanical watches, matching your wishes. And I share the same tastes. Never loved overcomplicated small watches.
Good call on the seiko 5. So many options available in that line plus it's hard to beat when it comes to mechanical watches in that particular price range.

Here's mine...

Last edited:

-A round face,

I own several watches and wear one of my g shocks most of the time. They are made to be abused and not look like they were drug behind your car.

The Breguet Marine-

The breguet marine in my opinion is the ultimate watch. Firstly it's waterproof (screwdown crown and tested to 100m), which is important for my as I frequently swim or fall into swimming pools drunk.

Secondly it is jn that Classic Breguet dress style. Breguet hands, only a big date complication and at a nice 39mm. It's a watch you can wear whilst kite surfing off your yacht in the med and then attend the Prince of Monaco's annual ball. It's a truly an all rounder watch. Close competitors are the aquaterra, datejust and the plain oyster perpetual.

Thirdly you are paying haute horology level money for a steel watch. This means you want the thing to be a work of art and not a mass produced piece of shit like a Rolex. The hands are heat treated to make them blue, which is a work of art in itself. The guilloche dial is solid gold and hand engraved, which again is a work of art. The combination of the blue steel hands and gold dial means the watch face is impenetrable to aging and won't rust or decay like other dials. The case is also hand decorated. The movement is obviously hand assembled and decorated with a solid gold rotor. Not even Patek Phillipe use decent dials anymore (the Nautilus's one is laquer on steel).

The drawbacks to the watch is that the movement is not "In house", is old and can't hack. Secondly Breguet is part of the search group, which on an emotional level takes something away from that feeling of a family or private owned watch company producing master pieces in a small Swiss workhouse somewhere. But at the end of the day a hell of a lot of hand made art goes into it and it is a lovely piece.
So you took the time to think and write a detailed post, for which I am grateful, great info, but couldn't be bothered to add a pic...;)

Which one? I was checking thein site and they have quite a few models in the marine line. I like this one

5823pth25zu_soldat_0.png

I got a thing for blackface watches.

Are the blue hands for the top model or something? I like this one also

Marin-5817.jpg

5827bb_12_5zu_face.png

Last edited:
Good call on the seiko 5. So many options available in that line plus it's hard to beat when it comes to mechanical watches in that particular price range.

Here's mine...
Nice, I love the big numbers, the equilibrium between the colors.

That's not my Seiko5 but that's the exact same model with very similar leather strap.
http://i.imgur.com/ZeedA4D.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, I love the big numbers, the equilibrium between the colors.

That's not my Seiko5 but that's the exact same model with very similar leather strap.
http://i.imgur.com/ZeedA4D.jpg
Thanks. I have watches that are inexpensive to ones that are relatively expensive. I appreciate each one for what it is. Seiko makes outstanding watches in about every price range.

Love the dial color of the watch you posted.

Thanks. I have watches that are inexpensive to ones that are relatively expensive. I appreciate each one for what it is. Seiko makes outstanding watches in about every price range.

Love the dial color of the watch you posted.
Exactly, Seiko is amazing for that.
They make watches in every price range, from 80 $ to 6 000 $ or more.
On the opposite, it's hard to find a Patek-Philippe for less than 10 000 $.
Love russian watches for their low prices too.

Exactly, Seiko is amazing for that.
They make watches in every price range, from 80 $ to 6 000 $ or more.
On the opposite, it's hard to find a Patek-Philippe for less than 10 000 $.
Love russian watches for their low prices too.
Seiko snowflake.... From their GS line.... Look at the detail in the dial. It's simply amazing. The most expensive seiko I own is a sumo. I love how it sits on the wrist. Ha, you love the Russians... Im a huge fan of German watches. Some high quality pieces from both countries but still reasonably priced. They lack the big name recognition. I'm looking at a stowa and a damasko at the moment. But not buying anything for a few months.

Last edited:
Seiko snowflake.... From their GS line.... Look at the detail in the dial. It's simply amazing. The most expensive seiko I own is a sumo. I love how it sits on the wrist. Ha, you love the Russians... Im a huge fan of German watches. Some high quality pieces from both countries but still reasonably priced. They lack the big name recognition. I'm looking at a stowa and a damasko at the moment. But not buying anything for a few months.
My dream list, including german watches :
- A Vostok Amphibian classic
- Raketta 24h
- Shangaï classic 7120
- SeaGull 1963 air force
- An Hamilton Khaki
- Aristo messerschmitt ME109
- Sinn diving EZM3
- A Nomos
- A Radiomir Panerai
- A Grand Seiko
- Lange and Sohne

My dream list, including german watches :
- A Vostok Amphibian classic
- Raketta 24h
- Shangaï classic 7120
- SeaGull 1963 air force
- An Hamilton Khaki
- Aristo messerschmitt ME109
- Sinn diving EZM3
- A Nomos
- A Radiomir Panerai
- A Grand Seiko
- Lange and Sohne
I like the majority of that list.

I can't afford a Daytona; it's a dream watch thread for when I win the lotto.

I like this one:
241720_1024x1024.jpg

that's not too bad. I'm looking to get something like this:

_6187677.jpg

I think it's badass-looking, and the price is reasonable. at least to me.

Back